READ BEFORE POSTING

389sixpack

Reaction score
This is a Super Duty 7.3 engine aftermarket and performance area.

This does not include cosmetic stuff, exhaust tips, stacks, wheels, tires, lifts, etc.

This area is for aftermarket 7.3 engine and 4R100 transmission and tuning talk .... pretty much everything else belongs somewhere else.

Please find the correct forum before posting.

Please check the library for existing tech threads for information you might be looking for.

Last edited by a moderator:

vanderchevy18

Reaction score
We gonna have a newbie thread too? Kind of a getting started thread for folks wnho know nothing at all. Tree trimmer has a killer writeup for it.

389sixpack

Reaction score
Yeah, we want to do a FAQ thread for each section. A lot of work, but should cut down on all the repetitive basic questions.

Tree Trimmer

Reaction score
if you go to the other place, and look at the top of the 7.3 perf section, arisley made mine a sticky. might be what your after.

Tree Trimmer

Reaction score
new guy

this is what i was talking about. there is some links that you may or may not want to keep, and some references, like i did to joe(csipsd), so you might want to proof read and decide from there. feel free to edit.

i was unable to figure out how to attach to a pm, and since its saved to my comp i couldnt just post alink in a pm either.

if this is not what your after, delete this.

if you use this, make sure to add this.

Although there are certain sponsors mentioned in this post, they are there for reference. And while they make outstanding products, so do other sponsors. Do some research and pick one or more that you like doing business with. Or, spread it around and do business with them all.

Attachments

• new guy.doc
    38.5 KB · Views: 205

Rob

Reaction score
Thank you Tree Trimmer for that write up. That was a nice overall summary.

TARM

Reaction score
Yeh Tree Trimmer I took a almost year hiatus until V-ref dragged me back kicking and screaming. OK I actually came running back but that does not sound as good. Glad to see you are back posting again.

TARM

Reaction score
Yes well sort of. Swapped out the locked disabled X PATs laided PCM with a SD PCM. It fired right up after I got the chip seated properly. But I am getting this weird high to low open IDM error. (Happy times as no more PATS. Its unplugged and no security light at all now.) It may be the IDM. Last time I swapped the IDM out, thinking it might be the issue I was having, with a old one pulled from the salvage yard. But then the PCM got all screwed up from the PATS and pulling the chip out with AE still running even though the key was out, So I never really confirmed the swapped IDM.

Now I get those high to low opens on injector 3,4,5 which is the firing order and covering both banks. I clear the code key the engine completely off for a few mins. cranking it back up run the test and its clear. Run a contrib and buzz etc everything comes back clear. Then if I shut it down again and fire it back up as soon as I put it in gear and the Cel trips. Then I look at codes and I have IDM and if I run the tests I get 3,4,5 high to low open again. I also notice the idle when I am driving seems to change at different times. Nothing huge just a bit more rough and roll to it.

My guess is that old IDM I put in is getting screwy maybe as its on for a bit etc. Anyways today when I get home I will swap it back out for the old one and see how that does.

Last fall when I last had run it and locked the PCM I had already replaced both UVCH IPR ICP and delphi CPS. None were actually proven bad but with everything I had done I wanted a fresh clean starting point and I held on to the olds as spares. They were all ford parts BTW as well.

So basically I hopefully eliminated any other possible areas. I also Ohm/s and continuity tested from the IDM plug at that point as well. Everything we in spec.

co04cobra

Reaction score
Tarm, You should look into one of swamps HV/HF units, if you end up replacing your IDM.

I have ran several and there is a noticeable difference with them. Also, curious to what color cps you're running?

vanderchevy18

Reaction score
Hopefully the hfhv doesn't mess with the idle resolution. My engine would just take off and rev to the moon all by itself because of the hvhf idm. I know his are only 200% nozzles, but they are 400 capacity injectors. Hopefully it's the nozzle size that does it.

TARM

Reaction score
Tarm, You should look into one of swamps HV/HF units, if you end up replacing your IDM.

I have ran several and there is a noticeable difference with them. Also, curious to what color cps you're running?

I did a bunch of cut open testing duplicating what some others had done so it was not my work but I wanted my own confirmation. I looked at the following things in comparison to the old black OEM ones:

* center positioning of the magnet

* size and power of the magnet

* thickness of the plastic covering the magnet

* distance from mount surface to magnet and plastic sealed end

Two came extremely close to the black.

One though seemed to be effected by electrical interference/noise. Specifically the wiper motor. As the motors get old they apparently start to put out really dirty electrical noise. There is a number of reports of this in general as well. Following a number of reports I found that with it you ended up have the truck run rough or start cutting in and out if the wiper motor was doing this and turned on. As there was very little difference between it an the other final one I dropped it.

Forget the color as I am sure that can and has changed with various runs it is specifically the CPS manf by Delphi. You can get it from Advance Auto but they will very likely have to order it so do it thru online or it will cost you more.

Here are the details:

Link is to advance auto

Delphi Cam Position Sensor : HTS101 $39.99

If you chose to get one or know someone one simple test to prove my point try picking up various weight nuts or bolts with it compared to the IH/Ford current ones. It is very clearly much stronger than the OEM part.

This is the only one other than the originals that got consistently rid of the contrib codes on a proper running engine and also made a noticeable improvement in my idle quality. Not to mention I think I got back the mileage I lost when Ford went against my clear instructions and changed it out while doing another recall item. Grrrrr!!

A forum member did engine testing and found up a significant variation in timing between different CPS. I will let them post on the details further if they so chose But it was not some small amount IMO but rather significant especially when you think about tuning things like PMRs that have little room for error or pushing others at higher tq levels.

When you consider how it works the weaker the magnet pickup the later it is in terms of crank degrees before it reads that cylinders pickup sensor. Also the more off center it is that could have a similar but consistent effect.

I have somewhere the saved graphs of the signalling with the various CPS tested. I will try to dig them off my old laptop when I get a chance.

There is a good number of owners that have tried it and I do not know of any that had issues. I am sure someone will get a bad one or maybe have actual real issues with their engine or end play causing issues. Outside that I think its the best that can be had currently and is extremely close to the old "black"

The downside is that it has the old cost with it as its not coming from Ford as the recall part for $20.

Make sure if you get it that it has that part number and delphi on the box.

TARM

Reaction score
Hopefully the hfhv doesn't mess with the idle resolution. My engine would just take off and rev to the moon all by itself because of the hvhf idm. I know his are only 200% nozzles, but they are 400 capacity injectors. Hopefully it's the nozzle size that does it.

yes I was a bit concerned with this as well. I have no doubt it runs perfectly with Swamps injectors Dave and crew are always above excellent in that regard IMO. Right now I actually have a second stock IDM I will be swapping in tonight to see if that takes care of it.

co04cobra

Reaction score
I have did some of my own testing on the different cps's available. I can't and/or don't have the patience to provide an in depth technical description as yourself, and some of the other members that do a excellent job of it.

I have a cut a few of them open, but mainly used my Snap-on scanner to watch data as I would swap them in and out. I also did this on several different trucks to see what, if anything, would change between mileages, current condition of injectors, etc..

My findings in short:

I ran into a slew of odd issues with "aftermarket" cps. Some long cranks, idle quality issues, variances sometimes in throttle response, and of course the numerous failed, but bogus, CCTs. There were some other things to, but those being the primary ones.

That was really my only basis for asking. I personally, will not run any aftermarket ones in my personal vehicles. I have been lucky enough to hoard back several of the old oem black ones.

On a side note. I have not had any idle issues with my Swamps idms and have ran them with at least 4 differnt sets of injectors. Only one of those sets being built by Swamps.

Latest posts

Members online