Go Back   PowerStrokeArmy > Power Strokes > 6.7 Tech

Old 10-15-2020, 11:45 AM
Corporal
Member's Gallery

Default Oil residue in intercooler piping

I’ve had the MPD budget 364.5 kit with full piping and CCV kit on my truck now for 100k miles. I did a boost leak test on the truck as it felt like it wasn’t running as well as it did when I initially installed the kit. Well, when I pulled the intake piping off the turbo inlet I found what I feel is more than usual oil residue on the turbo inlet. Anyhow, I did find a pinhole in the welding on the intake plenum where the two CNC parts are welded together. I pulled the cold side pipe off to get a good ground to TIG the pinhole up and also found oil residue in the intake plenum.

Where could I be getting oil residue from if all CC recirculation is bypassed?
Old 10-15-2020, 11:54 AM
General
Member's Gallery

Turbo seals
Old 10-15-2020, 01:12 PM
Corporal
Member's Gallery

While I had the intake piping off, I checked for shaft play on the impeller shaft and did not feel any. As far as turbo seals, what would cause those to fail (besides a dirty intake filter)? I ran the filter that came with the kit for about 50k miles. I then switched to the Donaldson B085011 filter for better filtration. Could that have had any negative effects?
Old 10-16-2020, 07:41 AM
Private
Member's Gallery

Sub'd ....would a ccv reroute result in potential turbo seal failure, or would other conditions lead up to this, such as what the OP suggested - dirty air filter?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
2006 F350 CC SB / OEM Air box / Zoodad / SCT / ScanGauge II / MBRP 4" TB w/Kitty MIA / CCV Mod'd / Blue Spring / 6" Fabtech lift (want a 4 or 4.5") /35" FC-II & 18" Moto Metal / Cobra 75WX / Wilson 500
"SOLD"

2017 F350 CC LB / "Stock" / 285/75R 18 Nitto AT G2
Old 10-16-2020, 04:35 PM
Corporal
Member's Gallery

I’ve been doing some research and I found a pretty informative video about the oiling system of turbos. In there it says that one contributing factor to finding oil in either the intake or exhaust side of your turbo is excessive engine blow by or, if you have a larger turbo (they specifically mention s300/s400 turbos) is that if your vehicle idles for extended periods of time, that the turbo shaft doesn’t spin fast enough to sling the oil out and away from the piston ring of the shaft. I believe that’s the issue I’m having.

Here is the video:
https://youtu.be/hGSoe-sZcXk