Go Back   PowerStrokeArmy > The Bunker > General Discussion Forum

Old 05-07-2013, 06:12 PM
Major
Member's Gallery

Default Opinions on German Shepard's

Starting to consider getting another dog. I have 8yr old boxer now and has been a great dog. I couldn't ask for a better companion than what he has been. Loyal, great with kids, good watch dog, but just a dumb breed for lack of better words. My grandfather use to tell me about his German Shepard he use to have and how great of a dog he was so that got me thinking about getting one.

Couple questions....

Are they a easily trainable dog, or do you have to constantly work with them?

Are they guard dogs by nature, or trained to be?

Good with kids and infants crawling over them?

Smart, obedient?

Pretty much I want a dog that can jump in the bed of truck and take off. I'm done with having to have my boxer in the cab with me non stop, he will not stay in the bed and has jumped out at highway speeds before. I also want a dog that I can tell to stay, leave the room, and return with him in the same spot I told him to be. Again...no matter how much I worked with my boxer he simply is not the smartest dog.

Thanks for the input.
Old 05-07-2013, 06:15 PM
Major
Member's Gallery

I don't have answers to all your questions, but I do know Shepards are very smart an obedient. Like any other animal they take training, but they're really smart dogs

99 ex cab/sb- daily driver

Huge thanks to Full Force Diesel
Old 05-07-2013, 06:18 PM
Lieutenant
Member's Gallery

I also am looking itno getting a german shepard. I leave my family for 2 months at a time so I like having a guard dog at the house. (I live in a very rural setting with no neighbors close by. I had a very good watch dog(half blue heeler, half german shepard. but he is dead now so I need to get another one. From what ive read up on them they are the number one choice for guard dogs and seem to make good companions. I haven't heard anything on whether they will be good for babies though.(I cant think of any guard dog that will let a baby tug and pull on it.) my kids are all over 7 so they know how to handle and treat a dog so that helps me.
2000 f250 ECSB 4x4 Flatbed d80 dually rear d60 frt, HYDRA PHP and ******** tuned, 4" pipes, 6637 air, stock turbo modded (WW2, turbomaster wastgate actuator, gutted ebpv) FRX, SB 1939CB clutch, Unlimited 160/30 sticks
For Sale
Old 05-07-2013, 06:25 PM
Colonel
Member's Gallery

Got one. She's very smart and knows the basic commands very well. You must be stern when you command her or she ignores you. So she won't really listen to a woman...at all. But she's very friendly to most people and barks at night if something runs across the yard. I wish at times she was a little meaner but at least she makes people second guess hopping out of their car real quick.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367969114.909698.jpg
This is her at the shop lol
Old 05-07-2013, 06:26 PM
Major
Member's Gallery

I think Corbin is the man to talk to.

13 Passat TDI SE 6MT

2005 F250 EC LWB 4X4 XL
Lifted, Customized, and DeStroked.
Old 05-07-2013, 06:28 PM
Major
Member's Gallery

It's a must for them to be good with kids. I know all dogs are different, even within the same breed. My boxer would let my daughter crawl, pull, tug, hell even bite and he wouldn't even flinch. Just look at me like...are you seeing this.
Old 05-07-2013, 06:35 PM
Major
Member's Gallery

If the dog is brought up around, or at least familiar with your kids it should be fine.
They are very smart and are very protective. Whenever I work on k-9 cars (the dog is usually left in the car), they get PISSED when I get in the car without the officer there.

http://instagram.com/bwc_construction
Old 05-07-2013, 06:41 PM
Major
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoWoCo View Post
If the dog is brought up around, or at least familiar with your kids it should be fine.
They are very smart and are very protective. Whenever I work on k-9 cars (the dog is usually left in the car), they get PISSED when I get in the car without the officer there.
Agreed. Most experts say a MinPin shouldnt be around young kids but mine is great for the most part.

13 Passat TDI SE 6MT

2005 F250 EC LWB 4X4 XL
Lifted, Customized, and DeStroked.
Old 05-07-2013, 06:41 PM
Major
Member's Gallery

German Shepards are a top shelf breed.

1) They are extremely easy to train

2) They are fiercely loyal

3) Obedient to a fault

4) They will fit into your family seamlessly...all they want is to be part of a family unit.

5) They are smart....real smart, too smart if you ask me.

6) They are great with kids.

All that said....................

1) They are big..females 60-80 lb....males 85-110

2) They need constant attention...a bored GSD is a handfull they thrive on activities

3) If you do not assume the ALPHA male or female the GSD will!!!!!!

4) The dog was bread in Germany to be a hearding dog but it is so intelligent and perfectly sized it makes a top notch k9/ security, guard dog.

This breed will defend it's family and land viciously.
If you get into an argument or show any signs of not liking someone your dog will react in the same manner.

Once bonded there is no better breed IMO!!!!!!!!

Buy a puppy from a GSD breeder....NOT A PUPPY MILL!!!!!

Make sure the breeder has a good rep and is registered with the AKC.
Make sure the puppy you want has it's family lines go back to East Germany or Czech. Rep.

DO NOT BUY AN AMERICAN GSD!!!!!!!!

You will pay alot of money 1500-5000 depending on heritage and pedigre but whatever you do make sure the Sire and Bitch families come from Europe!!!

They have the best blood and problems that inhibit the american lines have been all but bread out of the European lines.

Most common problems are hip and shoulder ...but with proper diet and lineage it's all but a non-issue
Old 05-07-2013, 06:42 PM
Major
Member's Gallery

Got 2 shepherds, one is very intelligent, the other gets by fine. Both are the most loyal dogs I could ask for.