Go Back   PowerStrokeArmy > Non - Specific > Engine Conversion

Old 09-26-2014, 07:51 AM
Major
Member's Gallery

Get the motor balanced, it will help the shake issue that 4bts are bad for.
Old 09-27-2014, 07:26 AM
Lieutenant
Member's Gallery

Cool swap. What are you going to do about all of the interior electronics and making them work properly? PATS?

2004 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.0 Powerstroke FX4 CC LB DRW, MBRP 5, S&B Intake, ID tunes, IPR Gen 3, IPR coolant filter, blue spring

SLAPS Member #153
Old 09-27-2014, 07:33 PM
Major
Member's Gallery

My plan is to keep all the original accessories on the motor and functioning like they were designed. I'll be using original alternator and compressor. I also believe by using the 5.4 crank position sensor itll make the tach function as designed. Im using the original transfer case as well. This should simplify that part.....I hope. I made a special plate adapter to go between m5r2 and t case, just need a shaft adapter for those to mate up now. Im hoping a special disk mounted on the rear driveshaft with the right sensor looking at it will make the speedo work. I havnt researched the speedo thing extensively yet though. I think the oil pressure sensor and temp sensor will be simple. I have cut no wires yet so ill tackle that later. Im hoping a tuner can do custom tuning and help the computer out so its not constantly angry.

3rd gen expeditions are center console shift, so I believe I can make things look very nice inside. I got a pedal assembly from an 06 f150 with a manual trans and it was pretty much plug and play except for one small item. Unplug hole in firewall and install clutch master cyl. Its coming together quite well!!
Old 09-28-2014, 06:57 PM
Colonel
Member's Gallery

Cool project, in for more pics
OUO weld on traction bars
Texas Tuned
5" MBRP
Isspro gauges
Old 09-29-2014, 01:25 AM
Major
Member's Gallery

Why would the pcm still even be needed? It's a mechanically injected motor and manual transmission? One would thing it would be possible to wire around the pcm. Sounds like your trying to keep the instrument cluster . For a few gauges I would just junk the factory cluster and run after market gauges.
97-250 7.3 Eaton TVS Supercharged, S369sxe, R&D IDI performance T4 mount, my B350/200s, Honey Badger SR with My tunes, BMW M3 seats, Sky 5" RSK skyjacker drop pivot brackets, Sky shackles and hangers, Toyo M/T

1948 GMC Detroit 453T
1951 Mack A51T
1916 Federal 1 1/2T
Old 09-29-2014, 02:50 AM
Mod Squad
Member's Gallery

Very cool swap! We've contemplated putting a 4bt in my little sisters f150 when her 5.4 gives up.

CenTex Diesel Performance
www.centexdiesel.com
830-885-6500
Old 09-29-2014, 11:30 AM
Lieutenant
Member's Gallery

Very Cool!
Old 09-29-2014, 12:43 PM
Major
Member's Gallery

Superpsd, thanks for your input. I like the look of the original gauges. I don't see a reason to mess with them. The more factory this thing looks the better off it will be. As far as the pcm goes, I guess I could waste time working around it but I'll just keep it all intact and work around it. Also I believe the transfer case gets its input through the pcm(I could be wrong here) and im using the original t case, once again utilizing the original selection knob inside. This ride will be my wife's DD so user friendlyness and creature comforts are a must. I'm also looking in having the rotating assembly balanced, I was quoted around 320$ for that. does this sound reasonable and worth it?
Old 09-29-2014, 12:53 PM
Lieutenant
Member's Gallery

You will want to add knotchs in the dampner for the ford tach to read. It needs 4 total also will want to bypass the computer and go directly to the IC.

Like you I also kept all Ford accy. Alt, AC compressor, and power steering pump. Was never a big fan of Dodge alt or PS pumps.

Cool project almost went down this route but instead did an X. For the price of the 4bt I could do a 6bt for alot less.

Mike
2000 VW GOLD TDI named the go-cart
300,000 and still get 48 MPG
24' pontoon with a ls1
Old 09-29-2014, 07:52 PM
Major
Member's Gallery

So when I got my motor it wasnt exactly in pristine condition. I rolled the dice on it hoping it was at least a good block. Thus far it has proven to be good. I also believe this motor was freshened up sometime in the past, but unfortunately it failed premature and I believe I know why. The oil pan had a very rough life. Looks like it was beat on and jacked on.

I think it was eventually beat in so much that it broke the spot welds on the oil pick up tube mounting flange. This allowed it to suck in air not oil.

so the block went to the shop today to be cleaned and bored for new pistons. Below is my t case to trans adapter plate. Its drilled and tapped for the t case side but not for the trans side yet. to complete this I also need a shaft "extension" that will connect the trans to case. This has to be the typical ford 31 spline pattern but one side of this short shaft has to he internal spline while the other side is external splines. I can make the shaft but not the splines unless I had the special rotary broach cutters. Anyone know of a place that can assist me in the splines??