cummins ?s

swamp_ratt

Reaction score
As you've seen, im putting a mechanical 24v in my truck. My question is, can i re-use stock head bolts if they have only been torqued once to put my head on my motor and leave my motor stock so i can make it to sdx? I want to get the motor together, in and running just stock so i can go down and party. After sdx ill start doing my go fast mods, but there just isnt enough time and money to do my go fast parts and dial it in before scheids. Also im going to be running marine pistons with the bigger diameter bowl, will the stock automotive injectors hurt me on that setup for say a few thousand miles tops?

TRUBBS

Reaction score
I don't think their torque to yeild, I think if you torque them to spec and they don't stretch you should be ok

swamp_ratt

Reaction score
Well i have 2 different sets. I have the 12v head bolts not shure of year, and i have 24v head bolts (1999) my 24v head is going on a 12v block. The 24v head came off an outsourced block (i forget the code, but the ones that split in half) but the head is good

SINNER

Reaction score
They can be reused. A lot of people torque them much higher than rated and use them successfully in very high horsepower builds. Search on Compd about it and IIRC there is even the procedure used described on there.

swamp_ratt

Reaction score
Ok cool. How about the automotive injectors over marine pistons? I know the bowl is different on the marine pistons vs the automotive pistons and spray pattern is different between auto and marine injectors. Of course it wouldnt be for more than a few thousand miles

MAC

Reaction score
You'll want to use the 24v bolts.

I think some of the 12v bolts are shorter than the 24v bolts.

swamp_ratt

Reaction score
Oh and should i run my 12v cam or the 24v cam? I dont have the lifters off the 24v cam but could i use the 12v lifters if i run the 24v cam?

Reubine

Reaction score
Oh and should i run my 12v cam or the 24v cam? I dont have the lifters off the 24v cam but could i use the 12v lifters if i run the 24v cam?

You can use either camshaft it doesn't really matter. The only difference between the two would be that the 12v cam would have a lobe to run a mechanical lift pump.

Reubine

Reaction score

You can run the 12v lifters but the 24v lifters have a bigger face and are recommended over the 12v lifters.

Latest posts

Members online