Oil cooler OEM how do you know if you have the updated version?

bkb

Reaction score
I have been searching and I can't figure out how you can tell. It seems international / ford kept the same part #. Anyone count the plates on the outside so you can tell?

bismic

Reaction score
3C3Z-6A642-CA is the updated one with the extra coolant row in it (CA is the indication of the updated one)

Jtreece

Reaction score
I installed the upgraded cooler last night and had to remove the little plastic handle off of the screen. It would not go down otherwise. Once we removed the handle it was still setting on top of the nipples where the handle attached. Bismic have you ran into this problem before? The new cooler was noticeably taller and I was worried about clearance issues but its all installed now.

Jtreece

Reaction score
The last 3 screens we have done have had plastic handles. And yes they are OEM. That is what confused me. but it just popped right off.

Zeb

Reaction score
I installed the upgraded cooler last night and had to remove the little plastic handle off of the screen. It would not go down otherwise. Once we removed the handle it was still setting on top of the nipples where the handle attached. Bismic have you ran into this problem before? The new cooler was noticeably taller and I was worried about clearance issues but its all installed now.

What? I’m wondering what is up with needing to remove the handle on the screen.
Where did you get this “OEM” cooler?
I’ve done dozens of oil coolers, (all sourced thru a local Ford dealership) and have never seen this.

Jtreece

Reaction score
Zeb I agree. Part number 3C3Z-6A642-CA "OEM" sourced from a local Ford dealership. this is the first time we have had to remove the handle in all of the installs. Yes the screen was installed correctly. And of course this is on my 1 ton. The new cooler was noticeably bigger (taller) than the original (old) cooler as well, I would say at least a half inch. Unless they have made changes again to the coolers??? Not sure but it didn't seem right. Glad I'm not the only one who finds this wrong.

Last edited:

Jtreece

Reaction score
We don't buy parts unless its from Ford. Hell I just spent 300$ yesterday on gaskets alone at Ford.

Zeb

Reaction score
Well, I’m planning to pull the original cooler out of an 05, and have a new one here from Ford. I’ll be doing some comparisons.
Hopefully get to it next week.

Jtreece

Reaction score
10-4. let me know if you have the same problem. Like I said mine was side by side and its noticeable just by eyeing it.

TooManyToys

Reaction score
You guys got my curiosity up.

The "handle" is actually a spring load to keep the screen body tight to the block. A 1/2" change is pretty dramatic and should have led to a change in the part number suffix.

I have a 2003, 2010 and 2015 version in the house.

The dimpled top is the 2003 version, second the 2010 version. Both have been sectioned.

The new I have is a 2015 production date on the "CA" box. Since I ain't gonna section that one which I am about to install I had to re-zero the caliper to account for the flange.

Attachments

• IMG_6565.jpg
    IMG_6565.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 57
  • IMG_6568.jpg
    IMG_6568.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 53
  • IMG_6569 2.jpg
    IMG_6569 2.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 53
  • IMG_6577.jpg
    IMG_6577.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 47
  • IMG_6573.jpg
    IMG_6573.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 56
Last edited:

TooManyToys

Reaction score
For these years it doesn't show that dramatic of a change.

Attachments

• IMG_6576.jpg
    IMG_6576.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 39
  • Screen Shot 2018-12-12 at 9.19.15 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-12-12 at 9.19.15 AM.png
    11.5 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:

Jtreece

Reaction score
hmm, wonder why mine was so much different? I know that the handle is made to act like a spring to hold it in place but don't understand why I had to remove it...

Jtreece

Reaction score
well got the truck finished. running 193eot - 193ect at 55mph. hit 195ect - 195eot at 70mph.

Jtreece

Reaction score
No I don't think so, I'll have to go look but pretty sure I threw all that away already, it was a pretty big pile. I might have the receipt unless I threw that away with it.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.