Trans tuning thread?

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
Can this be it? LOL

I'm trying to wrap my head around why the canned S2M lugs into lockup so bad at part throttle vs. the factory EZ tuning.

I realize the torque scale is way off between factory tuning and a big tune like HD300, so I'm sure that's a factor.

I also realize that H&S uses hot mode to get 3rd lockup at WOT, but looking at the minimum speed ratio between the factory tuning and the H&S hot mode, there's a big difference there. I'm assuming that speed ratio is the difference between engine rpm and input rpm?

Can I just scooch the speed ratio higher and get closer to OEM engagement at part throttle?

Dzchey21

Reaction score
The minimum speed ration does indeed have to do with when the torque converter will lock...but its more of an efficiency thing for when towing or under full power, this makes the converter lock later to help save the converter. So eccentially if it doesnt pass this effiecency ratio it will not lock untill its at this ratio.

What i would suggest is going thru the lock up tables and raising the mph of the lock up point

scorpion6.7

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
it is basically a startegy that starting in 2nd sometimes 3rd gear partially slips the tcc, it is why most manufacturers use black high carbon content clutches.

Starting with partial coverage in 1997 and continuing with 1998 and later vehicles, the TCC strategy changed again. Similar to what we've just covered, the new strategy allows for the converter clutch to begin slipping as early as 2nd gear and to continue slipping until a cruising speed of approximately 54 mph has been reached. For this type of strategy to be successful, the type of material used for the clutch had to change. It should be noted that the original ON/OFF strategy utilized a cellulose-based converter clutch, otherwise known as a paper-lined clutch. The second strategy utilized a Kevlar-based lining (several designs, depending on 2WD, 4WD, heavy-duty, etc.) and for this third strategy, a carbon-based woven lining is used. This type of converter clutch apply is referred to as Electronically Controlled Clutch Capacity (ECCC), or EC 3 , for short.

In addition to these changes in material, the tension of the damper plate springs, which are integral to the clutch disc, was also altered. These springs act as shock absorbers, and their tension has progressively lightened from the ON/OFF strategy all the way through to the ECCC strategy. Should anyone modify the PWM or ECCC strategy to function as an ON/OFF apply while using a converter with a damper plate designed for PWM or ECCC, a tail end bump on the apply of the clutch would be felt, possibly resulting in a customer complaint. In some cases, a code for Converter Clutch Stuck On may also occur as a result of this modification to ECCC strategy vehicles.

scorpion6.7

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
i bet h&s turns on hot mode to limt slippage as a hot mode will apply tcc early to cool trans and be a on/off strategy

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
i bet h&s turns on hot mode to limt slippage as a hot mode will apply tcc early to cool trans and be a on/off strategy

they turn on hot mode because the normal tuning strategy won't lock the converter in lower gears. they want to be able to lock the converter at WOT, so they just lower the "hot" temp threshold.

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
The minimum speed ration does indeed have to do with when the torque converter will lock...but its more of an efficiency thing for when towing or under full power, this makes the converter lock later to help save the converter. So eccentially if it doesnt pass this effiecency ratio it will not lock untill its at this ratio.

What i would suggest is going thru the lock up tables and raising the mph of the lock up point

the lock up tables honestly don't make any sense... they are commanding lockup in 5th at like 45mph, but it doesn't happen until 51/52 at the very earliest.

my speedo is perfect per GPS, and when I watch the speed displayed by the MM, it matches my dash speedo perfectly :confused:

I can only assume it has to do with the speed ratio. I think the biggest issue I'm going to have to deal with is the torque/throttle scale. If I turn the power down to "no power", the shifting is a lot better. The problem is HD300 makes the same power at 25% throttle that the stock truck makes at 65% LOL

And H&S shift points and lockup are pretty close to stock.

One thing I've thought about doing is tap into the trans temp circuit so that I can toggle between the regular and hot maps :D

Dzchey21

Reaction score
Is the delay for lock up after the 4-5 shift set to 0

The converter should always be locked in 5th unless your in tow Haul with your foot to the floor

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
Is the delay for lock up after the 4-5 shift set to 0

The converter should always be locked in 5th unless your in tow Haul with your foot to the floor

It is set to 0, but I don't want the converter to always be locked in 5th... It's not like that from the factory. :confused:

I typically run S2M. I don't like the 4th gear lockup schedules because driving through town I'm sitting at 1800-2000 in 4th vs. 1300 in 5th unlocked.

But when you floor it, it still locks in 3rd/4th/5th.

My truck weighs 9500lbs. When the converter locks in 5th at part throttle at 55, pulling the revs down from 2200-2400 to 1700, it's annoying. It pulls the turbos down, the truck hazes, and I don't care to imagine the slippage going on in the converter. I'll accept abuse to the converter when I'm at WOT, but I see no need to tax it during normal driving :(

Fast-6.0

Reaction score
Look at the stock converter lockup tables for non "hot" lockup. Then just copy and paste them into the hot lockup section. You will now have the same lockup commands. Or return the tables that dictate when to enter hot mode, back to stock. Then just set your 5th lockup to match a stock file. Make sense?

I have adjusted the speed ratio trying to get the converter to lock sooner without much luck but I would set it to the lower of the two % to insure its not the reason.

Gearhead

Reaction score
what are your guys having trouble with on the lockup. I always set mine to like .5 and let the speed vs throttle position tables do the rest.

08twinturbo

Reaction score
I actually have good luck with the s1l schedule but I dont feel the stock shifting is firm enough not to slip. My kem 345 was very quick and snappy where the h&s almost shifts like stock until you floor it. What are you guys adjusting to firm the shifts up and make them quicker? Thanks.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
so i did some looking and if you look at the calulated torque table at the very top it looks to me like at the 1300-1700 rpm levels have far too low torque readings? I upped them and smoothed it but im not sure it helps, but it might make a difference for the stock to hot tables less noticable.

And i think what you need to do to get what you want is lower all the shift points, but raise the torque converter lock up speed so the truck will actually cruise in 5th with the converter unlocked.

Also it apears that for whatever reason the speed tables are not right. looks like they might be 5-10 mph off depending on gear ratio, tire size ect.

I know with sct there was two ways to calibrate the speedo, one was for the transmission and one was for the actual speedometer, i wonder if we are only changing one and thats why things arent working quite like we think they should?

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
If I'm cruising unlocked in 5th at 1300 RPM, I'm clearly driving too slow to be locked in 5th... I would be at 900RPM.

But the tune doesn't allow that, so my only alternative is to be in 4th at 2000rpm

Dzchey21

Reaction score
well i have done just about everything i can to try and solve my unlock/lock during the shift and cant seam to figure it out, anyone else been messing with it?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.