Popping through intake while coasting

emanmx11

Reaction score
I’ve got a 2014 6.7. While coasting at highway speeds, the truck has a very noticeable popping noise coming from the intake, almost sounds like a backfire. It’s noticeable enough to also feel the truck slightly surge back and forth when coasting downhill everytime it pops. I’ve searched endlessly but can’t seem to find anyone with a similar issue. The turbo builds boost just fine. Truck is t-u-n-e-d and de-leeted, but it had this issue both before and after. Since putting an S&B on the truck, it’s just simply much louder now than before with the stock intake. Any Ideas? Am i long overdue for a shelled turbo?

sootie

Reaction score
Is it random or rythmic. Does it follow speed, rpm or boost?

emanmx11

Reaction score
it’s rythmic from the standpoint of that it does it consistently everytime i’m coasting at highway speeds. However it doesn’t really follow a sequence with speed or rpm. I’ll also add that when coasting slowly in drive(like in a parking lot for example) if I give it a little gas and let off right away the turbo makes a god awful fluttering noise. Not the typical 6.7 blow off noise though, this is my 3rd 6.7 but the only one that’s done this. That’s another factor leading me to assume this is all turbo related.

emanmx11

Reaction score
I’ll also add that driveability is completely normal. No shuddering on acceleration, turbo builds boost as it normally should.

Latest posts

Members online