Troubleshooting P0269

dgudmundson

Reaction score
Have an 08 F350, 6.4L Turbo Diesel with about 260,000 kilometers on it. It was running seriously rough; we're talkin huge billows of smoke, shaking, maybe 50% of normal power, and obvious loud clanking sounds coming from the engine. On start, not so bad, but when she warmed up after about two minutes, that's when all hell really started to break loose.

Anyway, I took it to a local Ford Dealership and told them it was throwing a P0269, which it was. When I limped the truck in, it was smoking so bad that even taking it into the service area drive-thru was out of the question.

I agreed to pay them $135 for a diagnostic. They called me back and suggest I replace all of the fuel injectors on the passenger side for about $2,800. I agreed to replacing just the #3 for $1,500.

They replaced the #3 but the truck was still very much misbehaving so they pulled the valve cover and discovered that the rocker arms are toast and need to be replaced, that's another $2,400.....

My question: is it unreasonable for me to believe that the rocker arms could have been the root cause and they should have been able to diagnose and repair that, instead of replacing the fuel injector and then finding out that the rocker arms needed replacing as well?

Thanks in advance

dmd

Reaction score
You dont have your area. Post where you are located and i am sure someone can
direct you to a competent diesel mechanic that wont just throw parts.

Reaction score
My question: is it unreasonable for me to believe that the rocker arms could have been the root cause and they should have been able to diagnose and repair that, instead of replacing the fuel injector and then finding out that the rocker arms needed replacing as well?
Depends.... what rocker arms in what cylinder did they replace???

dgudmundson

Reaction score
Lulz, just got back from the Dealership and they tacitly admitted to screwing up.

Long story, short: They're putting the old injector back in, I pay for the diagnostic ($135), and it's all good . . . well, except the truck is still messed up.

Latest posts

Members online