Hard cutoff on 2002 when jarred / jolted

cbuttre835

Reaction score
Been a while since I have been on here.

Have a 2002 Super duty that shut down unexpectedly in a Wal-Mart parking lot. Thought it was the CPS. Felt just like shutting the key off.

Waited about 5 min, and was able to start it and get to a parking spot. Went inside and got my errand done, came out and tried it - ran for about a mile until I crossed a sort of rough bridge. Coasted into a church parking lot, waited, restarted, and hit a pothole in the parking lot - quit AGAIN.

Waited, restarted, hit the main highway and lost throttle pedal. Would not respond until I let all the way off. This was on smooth road. Made it to my shop at work. Let it run via APCM high idle for 5 min or so, smooth as silk. Raised the hood, shook all driver side wire harness connectors, ran fine. I slammed the hood, and the SOB quit. I left instead of setting it on fire.

The truck has 100,000 miles, a regulated return fuel system installed in November, a Hydra chip installed in November, and everything else is stock. I did have an IPR failure, and am running a knockoff IPR valve. It has been installed since September 2017 and runs fine. The previous IPR failure caused rough, stumbling running, check engine lights, funky restarts, and the oil had to cool wayyy down to 175 or so (on Auto Enginuity) before a restart. If I've got a FoMoCo IPR I'll swap it but this seems a lot different.

I never got a check engine light, and I think the wait to start light, and other "key on engine off" lights were normal. I am going to go work on it again this morning, - - aside from monitoring IPR duty cycle, wait to start light, (if I can get it to fail again) and checking under dash connections, what else should I check?

Gnathv

Reaction score
My 97 died when I hit a speed bump, no stumble, it was just like I cut off the key. It would not restart though. I checked connections and still no start. I reseated my hydra chip and it started and has not done it again. That was 11 months ago. Hope this helps.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
After checking the chip, check the cam sensor wiring. Had one a month ago or so that I had just rebuilt the motor in. Guy said when he got on washboard roads it would quit. Cam sensor wiring had lost insulation in the convoluted tubing and was shorting together on rough roads. That’s a 3 wire sensor so it will pull down reference voltage if it shorts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Knockoff ipr might be possible. Any way to monitor it while driving down a bumpy rd?

When its idling, slam the door and see if it still runs or hiccups...

Check wires to icp sensor too.

live life full throttle

ghohouston

Reaction score
After checking the chip, check the cam sensor wiring. Had one a month ago or so that I had just rebuilt the motor in. Guy said when he got on washboard roads it would quit. Cam sensor wiring had lost insulation in the convoluted tubing and was shorting together on rough roads. That’s a 3 wire sensor so it will pull down reference voltage if it shorts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Check to make sure the female pins on the cps connector aren't spread out too far either. I had pure hell trying to diagnose my 97. It would violently hiccup and buck going down the road sometimes, and other times would be fine. Finally found the femals pins spread out. Pushed them closer a bit and not another issue.

KBMKVIII

Reaction score
All good advice above.
I would carefully go through the harness while idling.
Start at your sensors and work your way back.
Sounds like a short or loose chip.
Let us know what you find!

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
All good advice above.
I would carefully go through the harness while idling.
Start at your sensors and work your way back.
Sounds like a short or loose chip.
Let us know what you find!
That is where i was going with the slam the door comment. Ole whitey did that with a chip revision and ended up having to send in the pcm to get retinned cuz it was loose..

live life full throttle

rusty1161

Reaction score
This is my IPR harness/connector. The insulation was gone and caused similar symptoms. Check it all, IPR, CPS, ICP, etc....

Rusty

Attachments

• D5474AB5-FA77-472E-A1DA-8EFC360DB48C.jpg
    D5474AB5-FA77-472E-A1DA-8EFC360DB48C.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 74

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.