Building DIY RR

Decker

Reaction score
So I'm looking to build a RR for my truck. I have sorta have a idea of what i want to do. My 6.7 pump to a dual remote filter base using a cat 1r1749 fuel filter and 175-2949 water separator to a y block. Then down size from 1/2 to 3/8 at the y block. Feed back of the heads using a 3/8 push loc barb with 6an female to 6an with 12x1.5 banjo. Then out the front with 12x1.5 90 degree 6an with 6an to 3/8 push loc up to a 13129 aeromotive regulator then straight back to the tank. Im trying to ****** my upper fuel bowl. I see no need to purchase it when I only use 1 of the filters.

I do have few questions.
Will going straight back to the heads be fine?
Will returning straight back to the tank hurt anything? I see on the purchase kits, they have a block you return to which then goes back.
Also will using push loc hose hurt anything or will it be to hot for hose?
Is the 13129 regulator enough for my needs?

I have made a paint drawing of my idea and prices i have found.
Can y'all look it over and see what I'm missing or could improve somewhere.

Please don't make fun of my drawing to much. I know its not the greatest but help me get a visual of what I wanted to do.

The picture goes from bottom left to right and up then back over

Attachments

• 6.0 Regulated return Fuel bowl delete.jpg
    6.0 Regulated return Fuel bowl delete.jpg
    183.1 KB · Views: 158

05wh250

Reaction score
I would not use push loc on the back of the engine, way to hot. That being said I just replaced my old regulated return with a strictly diesel, yes they are a touch pricey but you can't beat the fit or quality. The RR I took off used 90's in the back and had braided stainless lines from there to the regulator, it took some creativeness to tie the lines up so the wouldn't shake around and rub, after swapping it out I wished I'd never bought the old one.

Decker

Reaction score
I do like the strictly kit. It's just I would like to feed from back of the heads and ******** the bowl. With the strictly kit I only really need half of it because then I would still need the buy rest of the parts.
So I need to look into braided or hard lines from the y to the back of the head.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Are you also feeding the front of the heads? If not, what is the difference from feeding front to back vs back to front?

Decker

Reaction score
Are you also feeding the front of the heads? If not, what is the difference from feeding front to back vs back to front?

Not feeding front and no real benefit except cleaner engine bay. Two less lines in the way. Up top all you see is lines from front to regulator and one back to tank.

Extended Power

Reaction score
Just a suggestion for everyone running braided lines on top of the engine, or beside exhaust parts. (Turbine housings, exhaust manifolds, etc)

Buy some fire sleeve, and slip it over the lines before you hook them up.
Done! No issue of rubbing, or burning.

shmoozer

Reaction score
I’m feeding the back of my heads as well. I found a guy that made a set of hard lines for me to use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Decker

Reaction score
I’m feeding the back of my heads as well. I found a guy that made a set of hard lines for me to use.

Nice! Did you install hardlines with cab on or off? I feel it would be difficult to manipulate the line over the trans with cab on.

shmoozer

Reaction score
I did it cab on while I was doing my T4 setup. It’s really pretty easy once the up pipes are off.

Decker

Reaction score
Yeah shouldn't be to bad moving the up pipes out of the way. Be nice if I had a cab off to mock up with.

With hard lines what lines should I use: Alum, steel, SS?
Alum would be easy bend.
Steel could rust.
SS ?

shmoozer

Reaction score
They look something pretty similar to this.

b469d90e15441d9c74175b81fd0a7ffb.jpg

Decker

Reaction score
Since I haven't gotten around to building my rr kit yet. I need to do a oil and fuel filter change here soon but I don't want to buy the 6.0 filter kit anymore since I only use the upper filter. I'm about to be running either 2 1r-0749 cat filters or one with a water seperator. With that much filtration and then the 6.7 filter I see no need for the upper filter. Has anyone driven without upper filter or have gutted the filter for just the frame?

turboTwang6

Reaction score
Just buy driven diesels fuel bowl ****** regulated return. Comes with nice hard lines and banjos. Can't beat it for ease of install and proper fitment. The 2 cat filters with the 6.7 one would be fine with that setup.

Decker

Reaction score
They may be a option, I still would rather build my own. But for now i don't have time to install it. So has anyone driven without upper filter and or gutted up filter and used just the frame?

79jasper

Reaction score
Here's one for you. Still utilizes the upper filter.
I'm still confused as to why they used a boost reference regulator.
85fbe0e436c5a7a93992094d7daa5533.jpg
8381732ae146bcfe91f2fbb23ad04f24.jpg

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

shmoozer

Reaction score
They may be a option, I still would rather build my own. But for now i don't have time to install it. So has anyone driven without upper filter and or gutted up filter and used just the frame?

I used the factory 6.7 fuel filter/water separator and a cat filter on the frame rail. ******d the fuel bowl and lopped the filter housing off with a sawzall lol.

Decker

Reaction score
I used the factory 6.7 fuel filter/water separator and a cat filter on the frame rail. ******d the fuel bowl and lopped the filter housing off with a sawzall lol.

How did you regulate the fuel pressure? I'm assuming rr kit?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.