OBS 97 7.3 Problems.

7.3strokin

Reaction score
Hey guys, i have really been trying to find an answer for this. & i just havent been able to find one.
i baught a 97 7.3 6 months ago. 163,000 it was a show truck. im the 3 owner. i foundout it was actually "built/serviced" literally right beside where i live 20 years ago. was told it was always serviced with Royal purple.
its my first Diesel, & im not sure exactly whats normal & whats not normal.
it leaks oil (im 99.9% from the pedestal, ill be ******** it soon)
it seems the engine will cut in & out ill be driving & you can hear the engine than when i let off the gas its literally quiet as can be than it will pick back up to tone after a second. is this normal?
i just replaced the ICP sensor for the kind of rough idle it just jumped rpms constantly at idle. but that dident seen to fix it.
when im cruising about 30-40 it sounds like my wheel is rubbing off my housing its like a really screech noise, is this just surge? iv took the housing boot off & checked it seemed fine so did the bearings in the rod.
the only mods i have done is 4 inch straight pipe, 6 position chip, intake, gauges.
if yall could give me your input that would be great! thanks guys.

Magnum PD

Reaction score
You could replace the CPS sensor. That’s the camshaft position sensor. Behind the harmonic balancer. Not sure about the scratching.

Reaction score
Hopefully its been serviced with the Royal Purple oil rated for a diesel! These HEUI-based diesels are pretty finicky on the oil. As Magnum PD mentioned you could try a new CPS for the jumpy idle, but use only a genuine OEM Motorcraft or International part. You might need to physically remove the chip (keys not in the ignition!!!) and see if the idle problem changes. Note that this is not the same as putting the chip in stock tune. The "cutout" when you let off the gas and coast is pretty much normal for these trucks (nothing wrong there). Cheers!

Latest posts

Members online