Injectors, idm, or other

OuchThatHurt

Reaction score
Evening fellas. My 96 7.3 has been feeling doggy lately. Low on power, has a light shake at idle... like if I were to unplug one spark plug cap on a gas engine.
Replaced a bunch of stuff, and came to the conclusion it needed to go somewhere to be hooked up to a laptop. The gentleman tells me #' s 2,3,6, and 8 injectors are weak (contribution test).... but may be an idm problem.

My buzz test at home sounded fine, his buzz test tested same as the contribution test.

Truck has 300k so I know the injectors fought the good fight. Just want to make sure I'm not throwing more money at parts... that don't fix anything.

What do y'all think?
I have a swamps idm on the way right now.

Last edited:

OuchThatHurt

Reaction score
I drove the truck an hr away to this shop. It doesn't drive terrible just a total turd. I can't imagine it hardly running wth 4 injectors having issues

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Any smoke or hard starts?

Could be worn on fuel side, not oil side.

I never trust contribution test on 7.3. it's break out box or nothing

ghohouston

Reaction score
Could be uvch's, could be low fuel pressure, could be many things. 300k on injectors is alot though, and likely the problem. I definitely agree with CTC, all 8 are probably due for replacement.

OuchThatHurt

Reaction score
New pigtails, new big cover gaskets, new uvch' s. New glowplugs, new gp relay all ohm'd.
Also new fuel pmp.

All I can say is once in a blue moon the truck will 100% stop shaking and idle absolutely perfect for about 5 seconds.

OuchThatHurt

Reaction score
I'm thinking I'm gonna change both of them when/if I do injectors.... I'm sure they are original. If the idm doesn't fix my issue muse well do it all

OuchThatHurt

Reaction score
So I have a video of the blow by. I'm a marine diesel mechanic so in my opinion it's almost none... but if like someone knowledgeable to take a look. For some reason I can't up load the video. I can send it if anyone is interested in reviewing it

DieselDC

Reaction score
Get new injectors. Yours are worn. You’ve done everything else. Let’s see what the swamps idm does.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OuchThatHurt

Reaction score
Waiting til end of next week to get idm, and just ordered full fo4ce 250/100's...��������

Latest posts

Members online