Filter minder sucks shut

Phaney

Reaction score
My 01 f-250 7.3l sucks the air filter minder shut under load. I have upgraded 4 inch intake pipe with six 6637 filter with no air box. Was doing same thing with factory Air box so I ripped it out and have tried different high flow filters with no difference. Any help is appreciated.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
My 01 f-250 7.3l sucks the air filter minder shut under load. I have upgraded 4 inch intake pipe with six 6637 filter with no air box. Was doing same thing with factory Air box so I ripped it out and have tried different high flow filters with no difference. Any help is appreciated.
Where is the filter minder plumbed into? the filter or intake tube?

live life full throttle

Phaney

Reaction score
It's plumbed into the 4 inch intake pipe. I just installed a brand new filter minder today thinking the old one was just weak from time. Still got same problem.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
The intake tube
They do that when plumbed that way. Its a scavenging effect. As air is sucked past tge opening, it creates more vacuum at that spot.. ever notice how the stock filter finders are never in the intake tubing? They are always in the filter housing on a corner or backside so that the air sucking through has to suck it closed amd not scavenge it closed.. plug tge hole and throw it out..

For what it is worth, swamps uses the Donaldson version of the 6637 and has made over 800fwhp with it.. its the only filter they use also..

if you want more flow to ease your mind then stick a 2790 filter in there instead or go with dual 6637s.. i have done it in the past and works great.. zero pull on the minder that way too..

live life full throttle

LakeBum

Reaction score
I have a 6637 setup and ditched the filter minder. I see no point in having it.

Here is how mine looks

Attachments

• IMG_20171001_184829.jpg
    IMG_20171001_184829.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 119

Phaney

Reaction score
Thanks fellows. I'll just plug the hole now I know that nothing is wrong with it. Wish I had ask this last week before I bought a new filter minder.

cjfarm111

Reaction score
Yeah I wouldn’t pay much attention to those filter minders. You have plenty of air with that filter. No reason to waste anymore money

Phaney

Reaction score
Yeah I wouldn’t pay much attention to those filter minders. You have plenty of air with that filter. No reason to waste anymore money
Thanks. Now if I could just figure out why my truck surges under heavy throttle.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

sootie

Reaction score
Thanks. Now if I could just figure out why my truck surges under heavy throttle.

Is the rubber elbow that feeds into the turbo outlet getting sucked closed under heavy throttle? Might be worth picking a dry day and a clean road and removing your intake setup entirely and see if it still surges.

Phaney

Reaction score
Is the rubber elbow that feeds into the turbo outlet getting sucked closed under heavy throttle? Might be worth picking a dry day and a clean road and removing your intake setup entirely and see if it still surges.
Haven't thought about that one. Will try it out and see. I put a new turbo with the billet spx 5 high 5 low on it along with new bellowed up pipes and 4 inch exhaust thinking the problem would go away but it is just the same as before.

Phaney

Reaction score
Ok. I now know that the intake elbow is not crushing under load. I was told to drop my tank and clean the screens.

mcnance865

Reaction score
Is your "only" problem that the filter minder is being sucked closed? or do you have other issues? I haven't had the filter minder on in ten years and never had a problem (even running a K&N). Just wondering, is the filter minder the only thing wrong?....

Phaney

Reaction score
Is your "only" problem that the filter minder is being sucked closed? or do you have other issues? I haven't had the filter minder on in ten years and never had a problem (even running a K&N). Just wondering, is the filter minder the only thing wrong?....
No. I'm not using the filter minder any more. Just trying to figure out why I get a shuttering when under a hard throttle. Especially when I'm getting on the interstate and trying to build up speed quickly.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
No. I'm not using the filter minder any more. Just trying to figure out why I get a shuttering when under a hard throttle. Especially when I'm getting on the interstate and trying to build up speed quickly.

Have you scanned for codes?

live life full throttle

Phaney

Reaction score
Have you scanned for codes?

live life full throttle
Yes. But not lately.. was getting code for uvch . I put new valve cover gaskets and harness on. Now getting code for back pressure boost valve which I have eliminated with new turbo and pedistal.

Latest posts

Members online