Fluidampr & M208 Lpop install

biggdirty7.3

Reaction score
In the morning I will be upgrading my Lpop & harmonic balancer with a Melling M208 and Fluidampr. If anyone has any input on the parts list or advice on install it would be great 👍🏼

gnxtc2

Reaction score
Running the same combo but the o-ring gasket or the seal on the oil pump is starting to leak. When I originally installed the Melling pump (4 years ago), I didn't care for the o-ring gasket. I should've went with my initial thought and went with an OEM gasket. Now, I gotta take everything apart.

Is this going on a SD or OBS?

Billy T.
[email protected]

Barnbuilder

Reaction score
I read years ago that it was best to use the oem seal on the LPOP. Of course I read that long after I installed my Melling LPOP. If you get the part # post it so I can get one. I just need to fix the ZF first. Going on 5 months on that issue.

biggdirty7.3

Reaction score
Running the same combo but the o-ring gasket or the seal on the oil pump is starting to leak. When I originally installed the Melling pump (4 years ago), I didn't care for the o-ring gasket. I should've went with my initial thought and went with an OEM gasket. Now, I gotta take everything apart.

Is this going on a SD or OBS?

Billy T.
[email protected]

Man I feel the same exact way about the M208 gasket I haven’t even done it yet because I’m afraid of the gasket looking like it doesn’t protrude enough. Probably going to wait until next weekend and get a ford gasket this week. It’s going on a super duty

biggdirty7.3

Reaction score
I actually applied black moly engine build lube religiously on both sides of the rotors and housing for startup. Don’t need any scaring from the jump

biggdirty7.3

Reaction score
I read years ago that it was best to use the oem seal on the LPOP. Of course I read that long after I installed my Melling LPOP. If you get the part # post it so I can get one. I just need to fix the ZF first. Going on 5 months on that issue.

10/4 my buddy I will definitely find it and get it to you. Backed out of installing today because of the visual inspection of the o ring issue . I just hope the oem gasket will be compatible with the melling

biggdirty7.3

Reaction score
Did y’all reuse the little crank keeper for the damper? Read somewhere the original pin had cut edges and it needs to be a solid square cut keeper in order for it to secure the Fluidampr tight

Magnum PD

Reaction score
Don’t hit the damper. It’ll screw it up and the bearings on the crank.

gnxtc2

Reaction score

psduser1

Reaction score
You may need a longer bolt just to get the damper started back on the crank snout. You will use the original to secure the damper.

Rusty

Use a dampener press to install the damper, I've pulled the threads out of the crank trying to start the damper with a bolt.

biggdirty7.3

Reaction score
I used a ford gasket for the lpop ( ford had one on hand ) thanks to whoever that was . Used a m16-2.0 x70mm bolt and oem washer to sinch the Fluidampr down. The hardest part of the job was getting the dagum fan threaded back onto the water pump. I used moly lube engine assembly on the crank hub nose and lpop gears . I did use the oem bolt for final installment. I made a wedge out of a piece of 2x4 in between the flexplate and bell housing on the transmission to keep the engine from turning over when trying to tourqe the Fluidampr. I also jumped the starter relay while I had a socket and breaker bar wedged on top of the steering box to loosen the oem damper. I would have wedged the flywheel but didn’t think of that until after the fact . I appreciate everyone’s input

Latest posts

Members online