Why doesn't my high idle work?

LiftedBlackHD

Reaction score
It worked fine for a while and now it will not idle up. I think this happened when I added tunes but it's been so long I can't remember. Could the SCT custome tunes cause my high idle not to work?

jbkingranch

Reaction score
Don't know it it's related but when I put my Extreme Street from Innovative on mine a few weeks ago mine stop idling up. It would be nice for it to work cause it's still getting in the 30's up here in North Dakota at night and the truck warms up a lot faster with it.

03 tx pwr stroke

Reaction score
Have ya'll done the high idle switch mod? I did it on my truck and I use it quite a bit when outside temp drops.

06-sixoh

Reaction score
I dont think its related at all. Make sure all of your relays and fuses are secure in the junction box. Its behind the glove box. When the high idle doent work, does the light come on for your switch? If it does, your are getting power to your aux switch.

jbkingranch

Reaction score
I haven't done any mods to mine for high idle. I just know when I crank it up and it's cold out it will idle itself up to around 900rpm until its get to operating temp then goes back down to 650. If I have run the truck, shut it off and crank up when the coolant temp is around 100 degrees it will only idle up to 750 then idle back down after getting to operating temp. When i tuned it with the SCT it stopped doing that. It stays around 650 all the time.

So for experimentation I detuned back to stock to see if it would idle up and it did. Coolant temp was 94 degrees, she held at 650 for just a minute and then idles up to 750. Cut the truck off, put my custom tune back on again at it stays at 650 all the time. I know the tune is set for 625 rpm idle so I think my tune is keeping it idled down.

Mdub707

Reaction score
There is the high idle written into the trucks strategy, which will auto idle up after a certain amount of idle time and if the oil temp is below a certain number. Typically the highest it will idle up to is 1000rpms.

Then of course you can do the "high idle mod" which is wired up through your upfitters. (If you don't have upfitters factory, you can add them in the 05-07 trucks). You have to be in Park, and have to have the e-brake kicked on, then flip up the upfitter you wired it up to, and it will force a 1200rpm idle, and it will also lock the converter to aid in warm up. There are two ways to do the forced high idle (different wiring) one way does it like this, the other is meant as a battery charging device, it will idle between 1200-2400rpm's to maintain juice.

powerstrokin15

Reaction score
the one i did, without upfitters, i just ran power to a switch and the factory high idle wire from the PTO bundle. you just had to have it in park, no e-brake

06-sixoh

Reaction score
Mine is hooked up. I use it mainly at the cabin so that my truck warms up and gets the family warm while im digging out the rest if the truck.

LiftedBlackHD

Reaction score
I am referring to my high idle mod through a toggle switch. It used to work now it doesn't. I changed switches and still nothing.

LiftedBlackHD

Reaction score
Now that I think about it, it might be a problem with the E-brake. I can pretty much push it to the floor and I don't think it is actually engaging anything. That might be the issue.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.