Switch back (turn signal) problems??

golfer

Reaction score
2015 6.7L...issue with 3157 (Non-CK) Switchback: Morimoto XB LED's

After installation, we did use the Ford IDS to reconfigure the BCM (per Ford's Q-158R3 related to using LED's in 2011+ vehicles).

want to see if anyone else is having any weird issues with these (or other brands) LED or switch backs.

basically my passenger side (only) switch back is acting intermittent...

I've tried FIVE new bulbs in the passenger housing and only ONE of them acts correctly...(but it is intermittently off, no white, no amber, hence the trying/ordering of new bulbs).

all 4 new bulbs will light up white...and then stick on amber only (solid, no blinking) if I use a turn/hazard signal..

with running lights off or on...they are all white UNTIL I use the stalk or hazard...only one of the 6 in that housing will blink white/amber/white/amber..the other 5 tried stick to amber, and will not reset to white until the HL switch is cycled off/on.

opinions/thoughts/experiences? :cursing:

sootie

Reaction score
did it function correctly minus the rapid flash prior to changing the settings with ids? does it function correctly with oem bulbs now?

powerlifter405

Reaction score
The retro source has a forum and some of the toyota camry forums like toyotanation.com may help. They are kind of ricey sometimes but many of them swear by MM. HIDplanet can get retarded but they have some good HID retrofits.

http://www.superbrightbulbs.com/switchback_wiring.html

I did read about turning the bulb 180 to reverse polarity solved the issue for a few guys.

One guy said it was the flasher relay.... UPDATE: I went to AutoZone & purchased & installed the EL12 Flasher http://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...tchback-turn-signal-3157-flashing-issues.html

Good luck!

PDT1081

Reaction score
Were you ever able to figure this out? I'm having a similar problem with a set from VLeds. Running lights work. Turn signal flashes three times, then it switches back to running light (or goes off if lights are off ). Rear goes into to hyperflash when the switch-back goes out. Didn't touch the BCM, but did install the 6ohm resistors. Waiting to hear back from tech support, which should be Tuesday, I hope.

golfer

Reaction score
Were you ever able to figure this out? I'm having a similar problem with a set from VLeds. Running lights work. Turn signal flashes three times, then it switches back to running light (or goes off if lights are off ). Rear goes into to hyperflash when the switch-back goes out. Didn't touch the BCM, but did install the 6ohm resistors. Waiting to hear back from tech support, which should be Tuesday, I hope.

no, haven't had time to dick with it.

feel like I'm driving a hoopty when that MF light is out.

PDT1081

Reaction score
no, haven't had time to dick with it.

feel like I'm driving a hoopty when that MF light is out.

I heard back from Vleds and they directed me to this relay kit for what I have.

http://www.vleds.com/v3-relay-3319.html

The description mentions it solves the issue of stray voltage on the high turn signal circuit. Personally, I'd think a quality led controller would take care of the problem, but apparently not. I don't know if this info will help you or not.

dsberman94

Reaction score
Someone said they found the under dash relay that was made for LED lights. No resistors or anything like that. Just pull out the factory relay and put the led relay in. Maybe they'll speak up soon on that.

PDT1081

Reaction score
Someone said they found the under dash relay that was made for LED lights. No resistors or anything like that. Just pull out the factory relay and put the led relay in. Maybe they'll speak up soon on that.

Too bad Ford trucks haven't used flasher relays since prior to 08. Everything runs through the BCM, which the OP already said he reprogrammed for use with LEDs.

dsberman94

Reaction score
Too bad Ford trucks haven't used flasher relays since prior to 08. Everything runs through the BCM, which the OP already said he reprogrammed for use with LEDs.

My bad. Didn't realize we were on newer trucks. Don't mind me, carry on

PDT1081

Reaction score
I heard back from Vleds and they directed me to this relay kit for what I have.

http://www.vleds.com/v3-relay-3319.html

The description mentions it solves the issue of stray voltage on the high turn signal circuit. Personally, I'd think a quality led controller would take care of the problem, but apparently not. I don't know if this info will help you or not.

I got the relay kit and it didn't do ****. For the hell of it, I unplugged everything but the controller. My turn signals flashed normal without needing resistors. Unfortunately, when the truck is running, the passenger side will only flash 3 times before reverting to parking light function. With the truck not running, it works fine. I ended up stripping out one of the screws holding the headlight housing, so I said **** it and yanked everything out. Put the stock bulbs back in.

PDT1081

Reaction score
I got the relay kit and it didn't do ****. For the hell of it, I unplugged everything but the controller. My turn signals flashed normal without needing resistors. Unfortunately, when the truck is running, the passenger side will only flash 3 times before reverting to parking light function. With the truck not running, it works fine. I ended up stripping out one of the screws holding the headlight housing, so I said **** it and yanked everything out. Put the stock bulbs back in.
So, I'm a dumbass. After looking at the wiring diagram again, I wired the relays in incorrectly. After correcting my mistake, they ate working great today.

golfer

Reaction score
just an update...got tired of f'ing with the Morimoto bulbs...popped in some Sylvania LED from Oreilly...amber/ambler not switch backs...and chits been working flawlessly for a week.

I must have pulled the grill and head lights 6-7 times trying various Morimoto bulbs..think I have 6 now..zero luck, and the issue was never consistent from one bulb to another...some wouldn't illuminate, others would mostly come on with the amber (solid no signal)...others would come on white (sometimes) but never signal.

zeeman

Reaction score
Ill ask her insgtead of starting a new thread, Had my headlights built with quad projectors, switchback 3157s up top and halo switch backs top and bottom. Both worked for about a week or two just fine. Drivers side wont flash amber, then later the same day the passenger side wont flash amber. Added resistors but still no flash. bulbs are good as i have verified all switchbacks and halos have both white and amber.

MY thought is the bcm thought ther light was out and killed power to the blinker function, the white lights still work, just no amber. Will flashing the bcm and turning off the light out indicator work?

PDT1081

Reaction score
Ill ask her insgtead of starting a new thread, Had my headlights built with quad projectors, switchback 3157s up top and halo switch backs top and bottom. Both worked for about a week or two just fine. Drivers side wont flash amber, then later the same day the passenger side wont flash amber. Added resistors but still no flash. bulbs are good as i have verified all switchbacks and halos have both white and amber.

MY thought is the bcm thought ther light was out and killed power to the blinker function, the white lights still work, just no amber. Will flashing the bcm and turning off the light out indicator work?
You may need the relays like I did. Apparently, there is stray voltage coming from the BCM that doesn't play nice with some switchbacks.

zeeman

Reaction score
The guy who built mine said the same thing. Had me test my switchbacks without the halos on to see if it would work with the relays and it didn't pan out

PDT1081

Reaction score
The guy who built mine said the same thing. Had me test my switchbacks without the halos on to see if it would work with the relays and it didn't pan out

I believe the relays actually cut power to the parking light circuit while turn signals are in operation. It was all plug and play for the setup I went with, so I never actually put a voltage tester on anything.

http://www.vleds.com/v3-relay-3415.html

Latest posts

Members online