Fuel under filler neck when I didn't spill any

WHY NOT

Reaction score
Anyone else have this problem? After I fill my tank and I'm always very careful not to get fuel down the side of the truck under the filler door, but then it seems like after driving for a while I get the classic diesel down he side of the bed look. I was wondering if I need a new filler cap or something or some reason its splashing fuel out and past the cap or what? Cap is tight.

Jomax

Reaction score
It has to be the cap. They can't be expensive, I'd try that first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JRLott

Reaction score
Doesn't everyone use the little hook on the door?

I don't. Mine has been unleashed since the first fill up. I've seen many letting it hang against the paint...makes me cringe.

04cr450

Reaction score
That hook though prevents the cap from hitting the side of truck. It's works as it should, I use it when filling up as well. The cap isn't supposed to clip onto it, just the plastic line itself

JRLott

Reaction score
Yes, and the hanging cap was the first thing that came to mind upon reading this thread. I managed not to ask the question the first few times I read it and the ensuing comments. I simply could resist no longer.

Jomax

Reaction score
Mine never leaks from the cap when it's hanging on that hook.

I also cringe seeing the cap just flop around rubbing the paint.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Mine never leaks from the cap when it's hanging on that hook.

I also cringe seeing the cap just flop around rubbing the paint.

at first i didnt use it and after a year or so i noticed the tiny scratch marks.. beem using the little hook ever since!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

WHY NOT

Reaction score
It has to be the cap. They can't be expensive, I'd try that first.

Hopefully not. Ill go fuel the truck up then go home and wash it or vise versa if I wash it first I'm always careful not to spill any or let it bubble out, then after I drive the truck there is fuel down the damn side of my clean truck.

Where do you put the cap while you're filling?

Always on the hook on the door.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Hopefully not. Ill go fuel the truck up then go home and wash it or vise versa if I wash it first I'm always careful not to spill any or let it bubble out, then after I drive the truck there is fuel down the damn side of my clean truck.

Always on the hook on the door.
im trying to picture where or how it even makes it out the door while splashing with the cap on. i would think it would hust drizzle out the hole under the cap. not out the door unless turbulence blows it out... hmmmmmm....

WHY NOT

Reaction score
im trying to picture where or how it even makes it out the door while splashing with the cap on. i would think it would hust drizzle out the hole under the cap. not out the door unless turbulence blows it out... hmmmmmm....

Good point, I have no idea.

Sterling6.7

Reaction score
It kinda has to be either the cap or the neck. There aren't many other options.

PDT1081

Reaction score

Diesel fuel is almost as bad as never-seize. A drop could go unnoticed, and cover half a fender.

Latest posts

Members online