Starter didn't engage?

Jomax

Reaction score
2015 F-250 104k miles.

Couple days ago went to start the truck and the starter free spun like the gear didn't push out into the flex plate. Did this twice, then on the third try, it worked. Hasn't done it since. You guys think it's just a fluke thing and don't worry? Or just change the starter to be on the safe side?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SpyderX

Reaction score
2015 F-250 104k miles.

Couple days ago went to start the truck and the starter free spun like the gear didn't push out into the flex plate. Did this twice, then on the third try, it worked. Hasn't done it since. You guys think it's just a fluke thing and don't worry? Or just change the starter to be on the safe side?

I had this happen about 4 times over the course of a year. I've been wondering if anyone else has had this issue.

heavydoc

Reaction score
Yep starter on its way out, specifically the bendix(solenoid) internal to the starter.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

hondahater4ever

Reaction score
This happened to my 2016 F350 at 15k miles, took it to the dealer and they could replicate it but they went ahead and replaced it under warranty.

SpyderX

Reaction score
Yep starter on its way out, specifically the bendix(solenoid) internal to the starter.

It's crazy that these starters can go out so soon. I guess the next question is what's the best replacement? Obviously not OEM.

heavydoc

Reaction score
Fir electrical components I generally stick with OEM, or take it to a TRUSTED rebuild shop, or rebuild it yourself. I generally do the latter.

Jomax

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I'll be going with a Ford OEM. 103k although isn't much. Still isn't too bad..

Latest posts

Members online