Flywheel damaged, but not sure if it or the starter is actually causing issues

DudeManScott

Reaction score
As you can see in the photo, some of the teeth on my flywheel are missing a portion of their depth(still have their point). Sometimes when trying to start the truck I hear a loud grinding noise, turn the key off and on and it starts right up.

Since so much of the teeth is left do you think the flywheel is still the problem?

Maybe the starter solenoid is getting weak and not engaging deep enough?

Or maybe because where the teeth are damaged the metal between the gaps is squished and preventing the starter from engaging deep enough?

048d1c43432173e9e00e830dbfe5a8cf.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

sootie

Reaction score
you need a ring gear. likely the starter gear looks the same as that so replace it too.

DudeManScott

Reaction score
you need a ring gear. likely the starter gear looks the same as that so replace it too.
By ring gear you just mean the outer part of the flywheel? Don't you just replace the entire fly wheel?

Can you recommend one?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

mandkole

Reaction score
Get the starter looked at and dialed in first. It could be loose, the nose that the gear sits on isn't extending all the way, bent, wobbling, etc.

For just that short section, it looks like the gear could be cleaned up on those teeth. Give it nothing to snag on. Theres a lot of things Id try first before an R&R of the trans.

psduser1

Reaction score
You need a trying gear. The gear is seperate from the flywheel. Right about 40$. Pressfit, put a little heat on the assembly, tap the gear off, reheat, and tap the new gear on.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.