Bad IPR or HPOP

gnxtc2

Reaction score
Or something else.

2002 truck 7.3 with 280k

Helping a friend diagnosis a no start condition. The motor ran then all of a sudden it just shut down. Before I got involved, a friend suggested the HPOP was no good so they replaced it. Well....it looks like a used HPOP along with the IPR was installed. I was able to see that the HPOP gasket was new and the RTV for HPOP gear was fresh. They were just throwing parts on. After the HPOP swap, still had the same issue.

They shot it with ether. Truck started then died. Probably running on the ether.

So, I get involved and this it what I found:
- Hook a scanner no codes and only making 220 HPO.
- Engine LPO is 60 psi at the filter.
- HPOP reservoir is full
- ICP sensor is full of oil.
- Oil level is good
- Check all fuses...all good
- I isolated both heads and hook up a manual gauge. I was barely getting any readings.
- I deadhead the HPOP and I get nothing.
- Didn't confirm if the HPOP gear bolt was tight.

Now, I can't confirm if they re-used the IPR valve from the original HPOP. I'm trying to get the HPOP that was on the truck to confirm if the IPR was swapped.

I want to replace the ICP sensor. Hung up on whether to just replace the IPR.

If I apply 12v direct to IPR, the valve should close and HPO should max out.

Any other things to check?

Billy T.
[email protected]

dsberman94

Reaction score
I'd check the bolt as well. A lot of guys won't get that tight enough if they're the type to just throw parts at it.

PSD POWER007

Reaction score
Last time I had the issue, I pulled the VC's first to make sure the injector orings wasn't puking oil. All appeared good, so I ordered a new IPR from dieselorings.com I think it was. Came with the solenoid too. Slapped it in and it fired right up. Yours has to be the pump, gear, or IPR based on the info you've given. Check the ipr plug too. The isolator comes out over time and the wires arc on each other.

gnxtc2

Reaction score
Installed new IPR. With the HPOP dead headed, HPO shot right up to 4K. :jammin:

Put everything back together and it started right up.

Gotta love it when people just start throwing parts and the same issue(s) are still there. Someone replaced the HPOP with a used one and re-used the IPR off the HPOP they took off. The coil on the first IPR was bad. :rolleyes:

Billy T.
[email protected]

Obsledpuller

Reaction score
Properly Diagnosing a problem seems to be more and more a "lost art" these days! Glad you got it all squared away Billy!

Latest posts

Members online