Aftermarket transmission pans 5r110

mohead1

Reaction score
Is there any proven cost/performance benefit to any of the deep sump 5r110 trans pans? Either the finned aluminum ones or the Deraile or watever with the finned tubes thru the pan? I mean does it truely drop enough temp for the $300 pan plus expensive syn fluid addition required. Is it 10-15 deg or is it 4-6 deg
Any experianced out there pipe up.....thats about the only mod i dont have for my F450 pulling truck

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Zmann

Reaction score
it is always an argument

there may be pros and con's but IMO since most like Derale and Mag Hytec don't lower the filter you still suck air at the same point

that being said I prefer my fluid take longer to heat up even if it takes longer to cool off ( that is one pro and con of having more fluid )

mohead1

Reaction score
Ues exactly....thays wat i mean, once i get that fluid at runnin temp 200 deg or so, then i mow have a big heat sink that dont cool easily

Zmann

Reaction score
in my case my running temp is 168 or just when the 5r110 start increasing the flow to the coolers

so if i have a hill climb i can see the temps climb after a bit but with more fluid to heat ( like a big pot of water vs small) it takes longer to heat up

most of the hills i hit are followed by a long flat so it works out well for me

mohead1

Reaction score
Thanks Mark, kinda wat i thot. How about putting another cooler in series w stock one....is the really that much restriction if you use a high flow unit, that would surely do another 10 deg or more drop

Mark Kovalsky

Reaction score
Yes, there would be more restriction. Would it be too much? I never tested it. You could try it and see. If there is too much restriction it will probably destroy your trans from lack of lubrication.

I've never seen a 5R110W trans that had a cooling problem. Why do you think you need more cooling?

mohead1

Reaction score
I dont know, i have had spikes of 220-225 before when towing heavy under load up mountain passes (east coast, appalacha, smokies, not out west) and i read comments from you that a short heat up like that will be fine.....its a newly built (yr or so) trans w upgrades dont wanna pay another 3 grand if this one gets hosed. I will change the fluid more often i guess in case of oxidation. Using Motorcraft syn Mercon LV

Zmann

Reaction score
those temps are not in the scary range for heavy load IMO

Jomax

Reaction score
Best thing you can do for your trans is change the oil often. I drain mine every 10k.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mohead1

Reaction score
Thats what i will do....i want this trans protected. Is the Motorcraft Mercon LV synthetic? I was looking at the container last night and nothing says it....

Jomax

Reaction score
Thats what i will do....i want this trans protected. Is the Motorcraft Mercon LV synthetic? I was looking at the container last night and nothing says it....

I Believe so, I use LE full syn in my trans though.

mohead1

Reaction score
LE....not familiar w that. Whats the one after LV, or was it before LV.....

Jomax

Reaction score
LE....not familiar w that. Whats the one after LV, or was it before LV.....

Lubrications Engineering, it's a brand of oil, Jim is a sponsor here that sells it.

sonic blue l

Reaction score
My 6l used to run at around 150 deg f no load. 6.4 always around 170 deg f no load. if you take a cooler line off a 6.4 at the rad cooler when the vehicle is cold you wont even get a drop of fluid out of it. So what im getting at is ford upped the operating temperature of the 5r110 from the 6l to the 6.4.

Pulling the same weight between the two trucks (Same 5th wheel trailer) I have found the 6.4 trans would get hotter, however its starting off hotter to begin with. (hottest ive ever seen was around 200 f, pulling a 15,000lb 5th wheel in the mountains. on flat ground and moderate hills it stays around the 170 mark.)

Now on my lightning (4r100) on the hiway it wont even hit 100 deg f, only in stop and go traffic will it get to 150 ish.

If you have a tuned truck, you could also have the cooling fan come on earlier. the above was with no change in the fan temp engagement as I didn't have mcc then. Now I turn my fan on a bit earlier for both the trans and engine temperature.

Last edited:

Rubenk

Reaction score
A pretty reputable trans builder advised me against a mag pan. I instead just put the newest 5r pan and filter on it and called it good. The extra volume just makes it that much harder to cool off.

Zmann

Reaction score
and some of the big names will include a deep pan ATS , SUNCOAST, NADP , Sam Wyse

I honestly think if Mercon LV was synthetic they would advertise it as such

Last edited:

Jomax

Reaction score
Oh yeah....forgot. Good luck w it?

So far so good. Truck is currently at 105k miles. Never left the race tune since 35k miles. So 70k miles in a tune that put down 585hp. Can't complain, started using LE oil 20k miles ago. Was using ford LV before.

mohead1

Reaction score
I know wat ur sayin Zmann....but i tend to wanna see some data between stock and the latest and greatest....if it aint doin nuthin much i have no reason to spend the money

Latest posts

Members online