Tuning 101 - Thread Merged with Injector Posts

DieselJpower

Reaction score
So if your pw map only calls for say that 1.7ms max, and you've never touched the multiplier table, but the base file was originated from a php performance tune. Does that not technically make your max pw somewhere in the 2.2-2.7 range ? (Based on a multiplier of between 1.3-1.6) I thought I'd read that putting it at 1 flat once oil is up to temp was a simpler method. For me it's been alot more predictable at 1.0 , I'll actually see it max out pw at what I requested rather then any given pw where icp is high multiplied by 1.xx whatever.

http://powerstrokearmy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12438

Look at post #34 by Bill, near the bottom is the data log from Jason Seay's truck. His max requested pw was only 2.704 ms , however there was a multiplier of 1.6 once icp came up , effectively creating an actual pw 4.3264. Am I seeing that correctly ?

When I had the multiplier map above 1.0 on mine, it would give me higher pw then I requested in the base map. At first I didn't get why I requested a max of 1.9ms but was seeing 2.5. (My multiplier map was at 1.3) So when Bill said they made 560 something hp on 2.7 ms, is this not slightly misleading ? (Not trying to bash Bill by any means , just trying to gain better understanding)

Context:

For those that don't have minotaur, there is a pulsewidth multiplier map you can adjust that's based off oil temp in Celsius, and icp. That's what my questions pertain to.

superpsd

Reaction score
I first tweaked a PHP canned tuned for my 200%s. I found the SOI mapping to be way too advanced for a larger nozzle. A larger nozzle will itself advance timing. I actually started from a stock calibration. I dug thru table after table and made adjustmenta as I went along. The interesting part with this HEUI stuff is given the tables to adjust there are many different ways to tune. The tune I run I have not made any adjustments to the multiplier map. I simply rescaled the PW map along with ICP, MFD, SOI and a few other small tweaks and parameter changes. I have played with the low boost fueling maps a little but never saw much change so I left them as a stock calibration has them scaled. I will have to look latter but I do believe the PW multiplier map that I run is multiplied by 1 once to temp. I have no cold running issues so in my case I just leave it as is.

You can always just load your tune with a stock calibration and use the F9 key to see the overlay and readjust the multiplier map to a stock calibration.

Last edited:

DieselJpower

Reaction score
The interesting part with this HEUI stuff is given the tables to adjust there are many different ways to tune.

This right here. I had been thinking the same for a little while now. If it sounds good, feels strong, low/no smoke, good egt's etc. Run it. There's obviously many wrong ways to tune, but it only makes sense that there's different ways to go about tuning the "right" way.

Im gonna try and get some more seat time today and will eventually contribute some tunes to this thread when I am completely satisfied with them.

superpsd

Reaction score
Every truck acts differently too. Too many different injector, injection related parts along with gearing, transmission options and turbos etc. Not one shoe fits all. The age and condition of certain components also adds complexity to issues.

pwrstrk01

Reaction score
ok guys I have been working on tuning my trucks for about a year now and I have a tune for my PMT2 truck that I am getting to a point that I am happy with but I am having trouble with torque converter lock up in 2nd gear. my problem is that if I take off from a dead stop then it locks up how I want it to every time but if I slow down and not come to a complete stop and get back into the throttle then it will not lock up in second until approx. 42 mph. if someone wants to take a look and tell what you think I would greatly appreciate it. a little insight to the truck build list 300/200, dual hpop, S468, 3.73 gears, 35 inch tires

Attachments

• newcoldstart.bin
    256 KB · Views: 88

superpsd

Reaction score
Would be nice if charles chimed in. Pretty surehe has a PMT2 truck. If i recall i think hes running an aftermarket trans controller as the pcm tuning left much to be desired but I am pretty sure he could help you.

pwrstrk01

Reaction score
Ya hopefully someone will chime in, I'm open to suggestions on any part of the tune if someone sees something. The only experience tuning I have has been on my 3 trucks over the last year. Most thinks I have been able to sort out, I have to say thanks to everyone that has posted on here there has been a lot of useful information that has helped me out tremendously. On another note I swapped out the pcm yesterday with another PMT2 and no change.

ja_cain

Reaction score
I know someone who knows Charles. I'll see if they can have him check out this thread. No promises though.

He is using a PCS on his 4r100. Pretty sure his transmission was close to stock when he was last posting on here.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

TitoBandito78

Reaction score
Hes been running a pcs and a 4r100 for a decade. Im nit in the loop whatso***kinever anymore but he used to use manual trans pcm also. And that guy above is touching in why people use a pcs dven in an as built auto truck. You will never have infinite control of the pcm. Or trans.

My truck is nothing crazy in modern terms but is over 500whp and is a street truck. Sometimes when you are in second and want it to stay unlocked when you are at low boost in order to spool and launch it will lock and boooooooooOOOOOG Zooooooooom....its an inconvenience more than a problem.

If you demand 100% control the pcs is the only way to get there. In my opinion my older nvk strategy behaves better trans wise. But i digress.

Im reconfiguring my truck right now. No hurry but ill report back when its online.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Hes been running a pcs and a 4r100 for a decade. Im nit in the loop whatso***kinever anymore but he used to use manual trans pcm also. And that guy above is touching in why people use a pcs dven in an as built auto truck. You will never have infinite control of the pcm. Or trans.

My truck is nothing crazy in modern terms but is over 500whp and is a street truck. Sometimes when you are in second and want it to stay unlocked when you are at low boost in order to spool and launch it will lock and boooooooooOOOOOG Zooooooooom....its an inconvenience more than a problem.

If you demand 100% control the pcs is the only way to get there. In my opinion my older nvk strategy behaves better trans wise. But i digress.

Im reconfiguring my truck right now. No hurry but ill report back when its online.
Good to see you back on here bud!

live life full throttle

ja_cain

Reaction score

Good stuff Ty! The PCS's are made right up the road from me. The company my brother works for uses them to manipulate transmissions for fluid testing. Keep meaning to go by there.

I reached out to my Charles connection and hopefully he will come out of hibernation and contribute here. No guarantees. Lol!

Looking forward to see what you have i. store for that old truck Ty! Nice to see you posting some.

TitoBandito78

Reaction score
Good stuff Ty! The PCS's are made right up the road from me. The company my brother works for uses them to manipulate transmissions for fluid testing. Keep meaning to go by there.

I reached out to my Charles connection and hopefully he will come out of hibernation and contribute here. No guarantees. Lol!

Looking forward to see what you have i. store for that old truck Ty! Nice to see you posting some.

Probably not much. I just took a longterm gig ironworking at a white sands fracking gig. 6 days a week 10-12 hour days.
Im also training 7 days a week to do a bodybuidling show this fall or next spring. Kids soccer starts in April. Im kinda busy, kinda tired.

dsberman94

Reaction score
Probably not much. I just took a longterm gig ironworking at a white sands fracking gig. 6 days a week 10-12 hour days.

Im also training 7 days a week to do a bodybuidling show this fall or next spring. Kids soccer starts in April. Im kinda busy, kinda tired.

6-12s sounds like it cutting back for you though. Right there with you though, working on a frack even. Actually thinking about trying to find time to hit a gym but idk even where I’d start. Lol. I digress sorry for the disruption of the thread.

Latest posts

Members online