Trans temps w/ pi converter?

slc6oh

Reaction score
So i could be completely stressing for nothing, but; over summer i cooked my stock trans, long story short i ended up with a used 08 trans and a fresh rebuilt precision ind triple disc converter, been driving on it all summer, shifts/locks up everything fine.. no 3-5 flair, but towing and even just driving it seems to run hotter, converter unlocked ill see 170degrees in traffic in 45mph zones, same commute will get 200 when dragging the toy hauler before i hit the freeway...when not towing it will lock in od at like 50 and will lug down and hold it to 45 no sweat.. trans will drop to mid 150s in a hurry soon as converters locked. Same when towing it cools down when locked up. I just feel like it never ever hit 200degrees even towing..

Today i put a new 31row cooler on with no noticeable change in temp while driving the same commute. (Assumed i should replace as i didnt at time of trans failure)

Being an 08' trans with internal filter, should i still be running the stock canister filter too?

Do aftermarket converters just make **** run hotter?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mandkole

Reaction score
When does it normally lock? I'm not familiar with 5Rs but I would think it would be locked much sooner. The 4R will get very warm if it's not allowed to lock. My converter locks at 35mph with or without a load.

slc6oh

Reaction score
When does it normally lock? I'm not familiar with 5Rs but I would think it would be locked much sooner. The 4R will get very warm if it's not allowed to lock. My converter locks at 35mph with or without a load.

It dont lock till in overdrive around 50mph

mandkole

Reaction score
Is that typical of 5R tuning to not lock until top gear? Crazy, no wonder it builds heat. I've got a triple disk 6.0 converter and it locks @ 3rd gear and 35 with no load.

Zmann

Reaction score
Being an 08' trans with internal filter, should i still be running the stock canister filter too?

@slc6oh if your running the canister housing and not a filter that is your issue

you short cycle and the fluid takes the path al least resistance back to the trans and not through the coolers

pop a filter in if you don't have one in

and check it out then report back

Last edited:

slc6oh

Reaction score
Sorry for the miss understanding, the canister filter is in place.

Changing both filters and oil today, maybe one of the filters is full of **** from not relplacing the cooler when i cooked the last trans. (It did get both filters and obviously new oil when replaced the trans and converter) about 7500 mi ago,

Im almost wondering if maybe somethings up with the rebuilt converter slipping to much or something.. (reputable shop here in slc did it)

Or maybe tune isnt jackin the line pressure up enough or something.. soon as it locks it cools right back down, even towing.

Zmann

Reaction score
did your old trans chit debris ?

did you flush the coolers before install of the replacement trans ?

the filters don't catch the crap from the coolers at first the flow dumps all that chit
in to the trans not the pan

not that your temps are super alarming but it would be good to flow test and make your radiator cooler isn't clogged if debris was present when the old trans died

the reason Ford requires replacement of the air to oil and the reason you 7.3 guys don't want to buy a used one is because they are next to impossible to get clean even with a bi directional flush

the radiator cooler is a little easier to get clean because it is smaller with less area to clean but checking flow is a good thing IMO and Ford requires it on their rebuild installs IIRC

slc6oh

Reaction score
did your old trans chit debris ?

did you flush the coolers before install of the replacement trans ?

the filters don't catch the crap from the coolers at first the flow dumps all that chit
in to the trans not the pan

not that your temps are super alarming but it would be good to flow test and make your radiator cooler isn't clogged if debris was present when the old trans died

the reason Ford requires replacement of the air to oil and the reason you 7.3 guys don't want to buy a used one is because they are next to impossible to get clean even with a bi directional flush

the radiator cooler is a little easier to get clean because it is smaller with less area to clean but checking flow is a good thing IMO and Ford requires it on their rebuild installs IIRC

all i did at the time was used my sucker thing to push clean oil through the lines that connect to the trans till clean oil came out of the opposite line. about two qts

Zmann

Reaction score
the coolers will be bypassed if there is too much resistance
but you just changed the big one and didn't see any changes

so ?

and you never replied to the ? if your last tranny chit debris of just died
that would play in to the cooling concern

slc6oh

Reaction score
the coolers will be bypassed if there is too much resistance
but you just changed the big one and didn't see any changes

so ?

and you never replied to the ? if your last tranny chit debris of just died
that would play in to the cooling concern

**** my bad, ummmm no metal or chunks of anything, but lots of clutch material in the very burnt oil, had a few trouble codes for slip/performance after cooking it at the track., initial failure was pure abuse on my part, trying waaaaay too hard to light the 62 to get a decent launch.

Zmann

Reaction score
i guess i would call PI and ask
but really you changed the big cooler ( did you use OEM ?)
i don't know what else you can do at this point ?

suprdzlduty

Reaction score
@slc6oh if your running the canister housing and not a filter that is your issue

you short cycle and the fluid takes the path al least resistance back to the trans and not through the coolers

I need to try this...I have the same setup, PI converter with 08 in pan filter. Been suffering some serious temp issues while towing. Didn't think it would short cycle but it definitely makes sense

Zmann

Reaction score
I actually ran some low psi flow test when i had the system open

no filter no flow from the cooler at all

filter in coolers had flow

I did this because of some comments by another member and his beliefs panned out to be true

post back if you would

j.mo

Reaction score

I'm running the 08 pan with filter in pan, and the canister filter. I have a 31 row cooler. My Trans still runs warm. Same Temps in 2 different trucks. Has been back to warren, they say nothing wrong with converter or Trans. It's been about a year now, I've given up. I just drive the thing now.
I have a PI converter as well. It may be a possibility these run warmer, who knows.

05sixliter

Reaction score
Twisted 5r and PI converter my trans temp never went over 145 degree this morning on a 75 mile commute. Although it was about 4 degrees outside. Stock cooler

slc6oh

Reaction score
talked to pi, and they said as long as the converter was rebuilt to spec when i had it done, the converter shouldn't be causing any extra heat. strange

mandkole

Reaction score
IIRC, the 5R has a tstat that wont allow flow to cooler circuit until 165F. A no TCC lock strategy until top gear will heat the fluid more since it keeps flow internal to keep the TCC applied (unlocked). The 5R applies/unlocks the TCC same way the 4R does. If you have immediate cooling with TCC lock, its working correctly and you should be fine.

About the converter-- does your idle rpm pull down noticeably when pulled in gear on the brake? My PI acted this way due to the TCC dragging until it died an early death. We thought it was a pump leak (not allowing apply flow), but it was just a torn up TCC assy.

Latest posts

Members online