5R110 No forward or reverse gears after install

shmoozer

Reaction score
Seeking help and advice from the collective PSA think tank.
Just before Memorial Day weekend the direct clutches in my trans finally decided they had had enough. I ordered Warrens Comp Plus kit and a PI triple disk converter and dropped my trans and parts off to a local to me trans builder. After a little wait time my trans was finished and ready for install. Along with my kit, my builder also installed a new pump and center support.
I set the converter in the trans and with the help of a buddy we reinstalled my trans. Assembly went smooth with no hang ups or issues. Filled it up with Motorcraft Merlin LV and proceeded to let it warm up before taking it out for a test drive.
Managed to make it a total of 12 miles before I lost all gears. No movement in and forward gears and no movement in reverse. While waiting for my buddies to come to my rescue I shifted into reverse and had no throttle pedal at all. Completely dead. Park, neutral, drive and 3-1 I have throttle but no movement.
Brought it back to the shop and hooked up AE to pull codes and check things out.
Shows codes for shift solenoid D and Direct clutches performance. Cleared them and fired it up. Still nothing.
Decided I would give a new Direct solenoid in as well as a line pressure solenoid as a precaution. Upon restart nothing has changed. No new codes come up. It has also developed a leak originating from the front pump area. Attached is a video of what I'm talking about. I have access to Auto Engenuity for any extra info that might be needed. Does anyone have any insight as to what it could be?

https://youtu.be/D8fuWAgWOWE

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mark Kovalsky

Reaction score
MERCON LV is fine.

Put a pressure gauge in the test port on the driver's side of the trans. It's a 1/8" NPT thread. You need a 0-350 PSI range. What pressures does it have in each position, PRND321?

shmoozer

Reaction score
We're in the process of rounding one up tonight. If not I'll have to go pick one up tomorrow morning.

shmoozer

Reaction score
How much clearance did you have between the converter and flexplate before you installed converter bolts?

We had about an eighth of an inch between the 2. It was enough to freely spin it to align the bolts.

shmoozer

Reaction score
I feel I should add that when draining the fluid it is still bright red and clean. There is no metal or excessive clutch material in the fluid.

shmoozer

Reaction score
Finally got a line pressure gauge on the truck this week. 0psi in all gears at idle and WOT.
Still think the converter wasn't seated properly sootie? Or could the front pump have decided to take a chit.

Lipka101

Reaction score
Finally got a line pressure gauge on the truck this week. 0psi in all gears at idle and WOT.
Still think the converter wasn't seated properly sootie? Or could the front pump have decided to take a chit.

Sounds like it wasn't seated properly. The converter is what drives the pump. Pull the trans and converter you will see the converter all chewed up.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

sootie

Reaction score
Converter isn't seated properly. Yank the trans and inspect pump splines and TC. if you are lucky you may be able to replace the pump seal and set the TC properly and rock on but more than likely the TC and pump will be chewed and need replacement.

If you disassembled and they look good-could also be your pump took a chit

imelmo

Reaction score
Sounds like it wasn't seated properly. The converter is what drives the pump. Pull the trans and converter you will see the converter all chewed up.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Yup. Had the same thing happen to my 5R a while back.

NathannialD

Reaction score
Unlikely, I'd be prepared to replace the pump and converter as well as a refresh to clean all the metal out. If that was the case.

There is also a possibility that the pressure regulator valve stuck

shmoozer

Reaction score
Unlikely, I'd be prepared to replace the pump and converter as well as a refresh to clean all the metal out. If that was the case.

There is also a possibility that the pressure regulator valve stuck

Pump and converter are definitely toast. I believe the converter was fully seated but I could be wrong. From the pictures what do you guys think?
As gas the pressure regulator valve, are you talking about the line pressure solenoid?
54d5974db91de8749fe932ea4857fe46.jpg

4051a6ad6d05b0a2c664f79a053552c7.jpg

5c1e70490ce28eb9573f2506d7b43f0b.jpg

062bfa552e1ba580d0d385296870bbb6.jpg

1e0e658de0112041d92062562f444b32.jpg

NathannialD

Reaction score
As I said earlier, pull the trans apart clean and inspect everything, new pump, new converter.

Very few do this but I always put a pressure gauge on to verify pressure after install and typically on the test drive.

shmoozer

Reaction score
As I said earlier, pull the trans apart clean and inspect everything, new pump, new converter.

Very few do this but I always put a pressure gauge on to verify pressure after install and typically on the test drive.

That's my plan, if I can get a longer line for my line pressure gauge I'll put it on for the test drive. It'll at least be put on after the reinstall and first start up.

shmoozer

Reaction score
Finally got a chance to pull the trans a part this weekend to do a little investigating. Pump gears are fully intact, but are 100% seized.
Inspection of filters, fluid and clutches shows little to no metal anywhere in the trans.
Although the gasket/plate between the two halves of the pump was welded to the pump gears themselves.
b96fb1a4c41dd40d42a9a148239ce1bf.jpg

ceabf6aa0230ffcf0cef6ef1f125e83b.jpg

90a7e24c76c0587d0a8acd3002d260e0.jpg

91459a0fadfbaadae6ac596e5f5efce3.jpg

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.