Water in oil

wjamesm

Reaction score
First back story on the truck , It is a 1995 F-Superduty PSD that i bought earlier this year from a guy in Jersey , It's a clean rust free XLT cab and chassie truck . The truck has 209K on the odometer . When i bought it the starter was out of it . The guy i bought it from burnt the starter up trying to get it started , he had a new starter there that went with the truck , He told me that he thought the high pressure oil pump was bad in it causing the excessive cranking that burnt the starter up . He also said that the engine had been replaced with a Jasper remand engine , although he didn't have it put in the person he bought it from did . I looked at the side of the block and saw the Jasper emblem on the side of the block . I called Jasper with the serial numbers but they told me that it was more than 10 years old and they don't keep information that long so the guy i bought it from said he thought there was 45k on the remand engine . I brought it home and put the starter in and she fired up fine . I started working on it putting the starter in checking fluids (radiator was low by about 2 gallons )cleaning the frame for POR putting in a new front fuel tank , basically getting it ready to put my dump bed on and ready for the road . Yesterday i went out to start it as i hadn't started it for a couple of weeks , I checked the radiator a saw that it was low and put some water in it , It took about a gallon to fill it back up . Now i only ran the truck several time at the house to keep the batteries charged up and about maybe about 6 miles up and back to my buddy garage to use his lift to POR the frame . I pulled the dipstick and it was milky white and the inside of the oil fill cap had the residue inside of it . I looked down in the valve cover and from what i could see it looked clean . I drained the oil out of it last night and pressurized the cooling system today , Found that i have a pin hole leak in my radiator now but also started to see some water drips coming out the oil pan drain hole . I have read about cavitation of the front cover behind the water pump and am going to pull the radiator and then the pump to see what it looks like . I hope that it's the cover and not a cracked block . Most have said the engine needs to come out to replace the cover due to having to take the oil pan off . How big of a job is it to replace the cover ? I saw that there is a difference between the 94-95 and the 96-97 covers . don't know what the difference is but the 94-95 one is half the price of the 96-97 covers i found this one on Ebay , says it's a OEM http://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-Ford-7-...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

wjamesm

Reaction score
Could be but would I see water coming out the oil pan right after i pressurized the cooling system . What path would the water have to take to get to the oil pan if they were leaking ? The engine runs great , there is no steam or smell of coolant out the tailpipe

Magnum PD

Reaction score
Coolant Smell out of the tail would be head gasket.

If the injectors cups weren't don't right, wrong sealant, not enough time to cure, inferior cups, that sort of thing.

I wouldn't order the front cover yet. Do you feel like pulling the injectors?

wjamesm

Reaction score
Just came in from pulling the water pump and that's not it , it looks good behind the impeller . so that rules out the front cover . I never pulled injectors before on a 7.3 diesel , car yes , many times . I think i read to pull one at a time and pressurize the cooling system and look down the bore to see if there leaking . What parts do i need if i do this ? I figure there o-rings or something to replace if you pull the injectors . Looking to do the easy stuff first water pump wasn't a problem , was thinking of the oil cooler next . i know the oil pressure is greater than the coolant pressure and would fill the radiator with oil but if the cooler was cracked i read it can leak into the oil .

Magnum PD

Reaction score
May want to want to put new o rings in oil cooled first. Not all that hard.

wjamesm

Reaction score
yea especially since i have the radiator out and the coolant and oil drained . The front oil cooler bolts are easy to get to with all that out of there .

wjamesm

Reaction score
I ordered a new dorman oil cooler replacement tube . will also check the aluminum ends for any cracks and where the cooler mounts to the front cover

wjamesm

Reaction score
That's another good place where pitting of the aluminum could be not allowing the gasket to seal the two mating surfaces . If this isn't the problem i'll move on to check the injector sleeves for leaks . If the sleeves were leaking would water show up in the oil pan right away after i pressurize the cooling system ?

wjamesm

Reaction score
I took the oil cooler out tonight here's a couple of pic of the aluminum end caps where the gaskets seals . I hope that's where my problem is
0904171933_zpswvzrbe6e.jpg
downsize%202_zpscwnthep5.jpg

wjamesm

Reaction score
Yep will be doing that when the new center tube with gaskets and o-rings shows up . going to take a file to the sealing surfaces to try and level them out , if not i'll put them in the mill and skim cut them .

wjamesm

Reaction score
Well i didn't luck out . Installed the new oil cooler and gaskets and replaced the gasket on the water pump after i pulled it to look for cavativation , but i pressurized the cooling system and still have water coming out the oil pan . it is a slow leak as i watched the pan for the first 5 minutes or so and nothing came out , went in to watch some football and was feeling like maybe problem solved but nope , went out 15 minutes later and there was water in the catch pan . It's funny the water only comes out in spurts , you'll see nothing dripping and then a short small stream out water will come out of the pan , It's been about least 45 minutes to an hour or so and it still has 14lbs of pressure on the pressure tester gauge and about 6oz. of water in the catch pan . Well on to checking the injector cups .

Last edited:

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Could be a front cover as well, maybe pull the water pump out and make sure its not cavitated in there, or someone drove with a junk water pump for a while and the impeller ate the cover away.

wjamesm

Reaction score
Could be a front cover as well, maybe pull the water pump out and make sure its not cavitated in there, or someone drove with a junk water pump for a while and the impeller ate the cover away.

That was the first thing that i checked . i pulled the pump and I looked it over pretty hard it looked good behind there . It had the nice gray finish and there was no pitting at all . i ran my fingers over the surface and it felt smooth . Just hoping it's not a cracked cylinder head or block or cavitation in the cylinder bore . It never had any white smoke or sweet smell out the exhaust .

Latest posts

Members online