MPD Budget kit tuning

Dsaline

Reaction score
Has anyone had any issue with the mpd budget kit as far as tuning. Mine dumps the black smoke if I get into the pedal a little or am in cruise control going up hill. Is this normal or something the tuner can clean up?

ccraver

Reaction score
I'm having similar issues. I'm running a 364.5sxe MPD budget kit with tyrant tunes for a non vgt turbo and its very laggy and smokes constantly when in a high gear and slowly accelerating. Curious if I'm just going to have to get used to driving with the new turbo or if tuning could help clean it up.

Reaction score
Bigger non vgt will definitely drive differently then a stock vgt. These turboes don't spool until 1800 rpm so if you get on it it will smoke until then. I've found mine when hammering the throttle I get a big puff of smoke and then it clears up and is off like a rocket. I had to adjust my driving style a bit, keeping the truck revved a little higher at all times works well, much like driving a tuned 7.3 imo. I'm also at just about sea level which will make a big difference.

Reaction score
What exhaust housing are you guys running?

Also double check all the connections on the hot side and cold side of the turbo. A leak will magnify the slower response of the non vgt...

ccraver

Reaction score
I'm running a straight pipe 5" exhaust and am putting a no limit piping kit on Thursday. Hopefully that helps a little with lag.

Reaction score
I'm running a straight pipe 5" exhaust and am putting a no limit piping kit on Thursday. Hopefully that helps a little with lag.

What size turbine and exhaust housing are you running on the turbo? Both of those things are going to help with determining how the turbo will spool. A 364.5 is already a little too big for stock fuel IMHO, especially if it’s not a 15+.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ccraver

Reaction score
I'm not sure to be honest. There isn't any info on MPD's website on the size of the turbine and exhaust housing.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
I'm having similar issues. I'm running a 364.5sxe MPD budget kit with tyrant tunes for a non vgt turbo and its very laggy and smokes constantly when in a high gear and slowly accelerating. Curious if I'm just going to have to get used to driving with the new turbo or if tuning could help clean it up.
Have you tried driving it in towhaul? It holds gear longer and downshifts quicker.. that is what i have done in my 12 and now in my 15 with stock turbos to keep it virtually smoke free. Worth a shot anyway.

live life full throttle

ccraver

Reaction score
If I run the truck on tune 1 it doesn't smoke. Its when I run it in tune 3-5 that it smokes. I can live with the smoke in the hopped up tunes but I really want to get rid of the lag. I'm hoping the piping kit helps a little.

oliver1539

Reaction score
Did the piping kit help with the lag? I'm looking at this kit or the Midwest Diesel MP64S VG kit. Any tips or advice is appreciated!

Thanks!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.