76,000 Mile Oil Change....

jimdawg185

Reaction score
So, there's this weird dude who told me he takes his Lubrication Engineers 8800 out to 76,000 miles in his 5.9 Cummins 3500. It's a work truck for a small logging company. So I called BS. He said, pull a sample at the next change. Sample pulled and I expected the oil to be completely trashed. His mechanics backed up the claim.
I have to say that even I'm amazed at this one.
FYI, I'm not saying this is a good idea.

e3f12d70cd4bbd9af42abb137e08df11.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Atsah

Reaction score
Interesting... I wouldn't try it in a 6.0 unless I felt like throwing a bag of money in the ditch once a month..

jimdawg185

Reaction score
I wouldn't try it in anything that didn't require a CDL. And if you could stop fuel dilution in the 6.0, I could take the OCI out safely. But until someone solves that riddle, 10-15k is the most I've seen with current dilution issues.

78f100

Reaction score
Most 5.9s leak enough oil it not like it was the same oil he started out with...lol. I am not knocking your oil at all, so please don't take it that way. He most likely adds a few gallons during that 76,000 mile oil life, just never pulls the drain plug. Either way it's impressive but I would never try it.

jimdawg185

Reaction score
He changes the filter every 4K miles. But it doesn't use any oil. So it gets a quart or so of fresh oil every 4K. I'm not trying it either. But I just wanted to show how much some of our old customers trust this stuff.

jimdawg185

Reaction score
I think the most important thing to realize is that in 76k thee was only 116 ppm of iron wear. The ICP only measures between 1and5 um. And the filter will rarely remove that small of a particle. That's what's impressive. That in 76k, 116ppm iron shows up instead of 3-400 I would see on a really good analysis from a competitor if you added the wear up. Some of that is in the oil in the filter, but it trends upward slowly. I wish I had his analysis reports, but he doesn't let me have them because he thinks we will show them to other logging companies and he swill loose a competitive advantage.

Last edited:

psduser1

Reaction score
The iron is from cylinder/ring wear?
The lead impressed me, only moderate at that number of miles.

jimdawg185

Reaction score
The iron is from cylinder/ring wear?
The lead impressed me, only moderate at that number of miles.

Yes, Iron is almost always cylinder wear.
The lead is also impressive. The dude works that truck really hard. And, the trans is still alive as well. Runs 1150 in it. changed it at 30k and hasnt changed it since.

Latest posts

Members online