2005 f250 rear end rebuild

jrex2506

Reaction score
Got a 05 250 zf6 that has a bad vibration from the rear end especially towing on mountains. I mainly tow but plan of turning it into a high hp daily driver once I get my other rig in a few weeks. What is the best upgraded rebuild kit out there and any mods I need to do while it's tore apart? I swapped oil with no change so I know something is bad.

Sent from my moto g(7) optimo maxx(XT1955DL) using Tapatalk

Sixleaker4

Reaction score
I am having the same problem with my 05 rear end and after doing some research found the rebuild kit on Diesel Power Products is over 1k. I found a complete axle out of a low mileage 6.0 for $400

sootie

Reaction score
ive got a rear axle out of an 08 with 85k on it. 450 shipped to your door...

powerlifter405

Reaction score
Have you checked your ujoints?

I had an 99 that did that only at certain speeds and only under acceleration. When I did the R&R, one cup was completely dry and the needle bearings had turned to powder.

jrex2506

Reaction score
Changed the housing oil. So its running good synthetic oil. U joints are good. Towing especially coming out of a turn while climbing is when its really bad. Flat ground isnt as noticeable. What kit is most going with?

Sent from my SM-S102DL using Tapatalk

powerlifter405

Reaction score
Changed the housing oil. So its running good synthetic oil. U joints are good. Towing especially coming out of a turn while climbing is when its really bad. Flat ground isnt as noticeable. What kit is most going with?

Sent from my SM-S102DL using Tapatalk

How are you sure U-joints are good?

Do you have play in the pinion? Have you inspected the ring gear, the bearings etc? If you've changed the oil you can take off the bearing caps and give them a quick once over.

If you're going to "rebuild" the rear end then you'll need to make sure you have the measurement tools for backlash, etc..

when I installed a Detroit in my 02, the cheapest full build kit minus the pinion bearings was Randys ring and pinion.

Latest posts

Members online