Helping a friend who got a serious $8k bill

Roccafellas

Reaction score
So my buddy has a 6.0
I can’t remember if it’s ******d or not
But it’s tuned on a very minor tune.

Truck was running fine, then he blew his HG’s, blew the degas bottle open and blew the rad up. He’s an old guy, not a young punk, and doesn’t really get on it..(so he tells me..lol)

He brought it to the dealer for them to do the HG’s.. apparently they have “updated bolts”??

Anyways, he got the truck back..after only two hours after leaving the dealer, the truck is surging, like injectors stuck wide open, and when no one was in it, it started revving up..drove it back to the dealer basically limping it, as it sounded like it was a big cammed v8 with a crazy lope,

They now said he needs a block/motor.. has no “bottom end” oil pressure... but it can crank right up no problem.. if he cranks it once it will run like chit, he will turn it off and back on and all is normal, till he starts driving on the hwy, his codes are p2284 and two other coolant codes..

They won’t refund him any money and they didn’t even lift the cab, he doesn’t know what to do now, they charged him $8000.00!!! And gave him back a truck thats in even worse condition than when he brought it.. I said it must be a wiring issue or the tech royally messed something up...

What do you guys think? Ever heard of this or any ideas? Or what to check?
He just changed his hpop last year, new ficm, new fan clutch, new water pump. And did all 8 injectors twice, it was running great till he blew the HG’s and was running good still until he brought it to the dealer.. told him id ask some real techs.. any ideas???
[mention]6.0 Tech [/mention]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
What year truck?

Had hpops do that, iprs, wrong oil in the damn thing, fuel pressure, etc.

03-04s are more likely to be hpop, if they got **** in it, could definitely be ipr related, head gaskets require an oil change, so if someone had their head up their ass that day,...

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Try unplugging the icp and see if it makes any difference. Do it while the truck is acting up. And when you inplug it make sure the rubber seal and the white clip piece are either on the pigtail, or at least stuck in the sensor.

Roccafellas

Reaction score
Try unplugging the icp and see if it makes any difference. Do it while the truck is acting up. And when you inplug it make sure the rubber seal and the white clip piece are either on the pigtail, or at least stuck in the sensor.

Thank you! Will do!

6_Riders

Reaction score
I can't believe they put heads on it (or hg) and it runs worse.
Without low pressure oil pressure, the hpop won't pick up oil to feed the injectors. If there is a fuel supply issue, the truck will buck like a mule.
I'd get gauges on the lpop supply and the fuel supply. It's also worth while to check the injector harness, starting at the ficm and to the injector plugs, to make sure everything is seated real well.

Roccafellas

Reaction score
I can't believe they put heads on it (or hg) and it runs worse.
Without low pressure oil pressure, the hpop won't pick up oil to feed the injectors. If there is a fuel supply issue, the truck will buck like a mule.
I'd get gauges on the lpop supply and the fuel supply. It's also worth while to check the injector harness, starting at the ficm and to the injector plugs, to make sure everything is seated real well.

Thats what I said man, it’s crazy! 8 grand and still not fixed, i’d be losing it! Lol, and where would I tap in to the lpop side?

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Thats what I said man, it’s crazy! 8 grand and still not fixed, i’d be losing it! Lol, and where would I tap in to the lpop side?

I tap into the oil temp sensor. Cant remember the threads off hand, but they are a lot easier to find rather than the oil pressure switch which is some goofy size and pitch.

And yes, I agree, if this **** had happened to me id be throwing a **** fit. What happened to people standing behind their work?

Roccafellas

Reaction score
I tap into the oil temp sensor. Cant remember the threads off hand, but they are a lot easier to find rather than the oil pressure switch which is some goofy size and pitch.

And yes, I agree, if this **** had happened to me id be throwing a **** fit. What happened to people standing behind their work?

Trust me bud, next one I hear of is getting a flat bed to you. With full pop rate and an extra case of bud light, just cause I know it’ll be done right lol.

And okay sounds good I’ll try that!
Going to change his icp sensor tomorrow
He has had a new one from his wifes 6.0 he never put in, and hers died. Get this.. apparently she was doing donuts in the yard(grass) and the starter wire came off, touched the frame.. hasn’t been able to run since, starts and dies. I called bs lol but who knows what the real story is. But anyways, ill try that icp sensor tomorrow!

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Trust me bud, next one I hear of is getting a flat bed to you. With full pop rate and an extra case of bud light, just cause I know it’ll be done right lol.

And okay sounds good I’ll try that!
Going to change his icp sensor tomorrow
He has had a new one from his wifes 6.0 he never put in, and hers died. Get this.. apparently she was doing donuts in the yard(grass) and the starter wire came off, touched the frame.. hasn’t been able to run since, starts and dies. I called bs lol but who knows what the real story is. But anyways, ill try that icp sensor tomorrow!

Lol, no worries bud. Thats what places like this are for, help eachother out some.

ghohouston

Reaction score
I'd definitely suspect the icp sensor first. Secondly, they probably didn't wash the engine before tear down, so who knows how much dirt and other crap ended up in the engine. Maybe the ipr too.

Roccafellas

Reaction score
They ruined his engine harness which i found out today the two coolant codes are for the fan clutch
Lol theyve been severed and hanging behind the engine bay
We both emailed Ford claims this is crazy.

Just replaced icp sensor today

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
****ing wonderful. Any change in how it runs with the new icp sensor?

Roccafellas

Reaction score
****ing wonderful. Any change in how it runs with the new icp sensor?

Will find out tomorrow!! It also had coolant residue all over the bottle today... either they overfilled or....

They said “we have updated bolts”

Yet I looked today and there is ARP 2000 headstuds lol, like what?
He didn’t even know,
Wouldn’t a dealer tell the customer they are putting in headstuds?

All the banjo bolt fittings are old,
Unless they took the heads off with the manifolds, all the one time use manifold bolts are old, I said they probably did.. but..

The whole engine is filthy, nothing is cleaned. If I hadn’t seen the studs, I literally would of said nothing was touched..

They said they lifted the cab.. they didn’t. Since when to dealers do cab on HG’s????

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Will find out tomorrow!! It also had coolant residue all over the bottle today... either they overfilled or....

They said “we have updated bolts”

Yet I looked today and there is ARP 2000 headstuds lol, like what?
He didn’t even know,
Wouldn’t a dealer tell the customer they are putting in headstuds?

All the banjo bolt fittings are old,
Unless they took the heads off with the manifolds, all the one time use manifold bolts are old, I said they probably did.. but..

The whole engine is filthy, nothing is cleaned. If I hadn’t seen the studs, I literally would of said nothing was touched..

They said they lifted the cab.. they didn’t. Since when to dealers do cab on HG’s????

Yeah, ford sells them now as head gaskets and studs if you want that. I never pull cabs to do head gaskets on 6.0s, did it once, won't ever do it again. And at this point most are at the mileage of needing lifters, so most of them motors get pulled.

As far as the coolant residue, could be from the fan not working, could have warped heads, etc...

Also, honestly a lot of stud jobs I did, the heads didnt get taken apart, hell injectors didnt come out of a lot of them.

Roccafellas

Reaction score
Yeah, ford sells them now as head gaskets and studs if you want that. I never pull cabs to do head gaskets on 6.0s, did it once, won't ever do it again. And at this point most are at the mileage of needing lifters, so most of them motors get pulled.

As far as the coolant residue, could be from the fan not working, could have warped heads, etc...

Also, honestly a lot of stud jobs I did, the heads didnt get taken apart, hell injectors didnt come out of a lot of them.

Okay cool good to know! Wow awesome stuff.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Okay cool good to know! Wow awesome stuff.

After re reading your post, as far as the manifold bolts not being new, are you talking to the head, or to the up pipes? I would figure in canada theyd need to use the blue wrench to get the up pipe bolts out. I know when I was in North Dakota, we had to do that a **** load, and they didnt use a lot of salt where we were. I have heard of shops doing studs one at a time, and charging for a full stud job. Check the bottom rear on both sides to make sure it was changed, only way to gey that bolt out is with the head, or by pulling the motor mount and/or ac case.

Latest posts

Members online