build for towing recipe

m j

Reaction score
what is the 'ultimate' towing setup?
not 'budget' but more towards the ideal setup.
big oil, any injector, any turbo

I bought an 02 f550 and a dump trailer. its a zf6 truck.

superpsd

Reaction score
Since you have a hand shaker truck I would consider a S363sxe for the turbo especially if staying with stock injectors.

Reaction score
I studied this same question for a long while. Here is where I went:
Line bore, main studs, Manley rods, Fluidamper, Mahle Coated pistons, spirolox, Swamps ported heads, stock cam, head studs, 160/30’s, Adrenalin, Beans billet intakes, SXE 364.5, Swamps HFHV IDM running Swamps “Baby Swamp” tune. On Swamps engine dyno it produced over 800 ft lbs from 1100 rpm to 3000 rpm with peak torque of 1010 at 1690 rpm. There was over 400 hp from 2140 to 3450 rpm over 450 from 2550 to 3250 peak of 471 at 3000 rpm. These are crankshaft dyno results. We shall see when I get the truck together.

superpsd

Reaction score
not likely to stay stock injector

Either way I'd go with the S363sxe with the larger turbine size and some 160/30s. Plenty of air for 400hp and will spool up fast considering its a manual transmission.

m j

Reaction score
Line bore, main studs, Manley rods, Fluidamper, Mahle Coated pistons, spirolox, Swamps ported heads, stock cam, head studs, 160/30’s, Adrenalin, Beans billet intakes, SXE 364.5, Swamps HFHV IDM running Swamps “Baby Swamp” tune. On Swamps engine dyno it produced over 800 ft lbs from 1100 rpm to 3000 rpm with peak torque of 1010 at 1690 rpm. There was over 400 hp from 2140 to 3450 rpm over 450 from 2550 to 3250 peak of 471 at 3000 rpm. These are crankshaft dyno results. We shall see when I get the truck together.

what was boost and drive pressure reading? wastegated?

I am leary of low rpm power after sending the rods through the pan so that build sounds interesting

KBMKVIII

Reaction score

That is one amazing tow set up.
I bet that is one pulling son of a bitch

Reaction score
MJ, low rpm self destruction has entered my mind, I plan to not enjoy that capibility too much. I’m well aware of how much more iron is in the bottom end of a 3408 Cat or big Mack V8. Boost was in the 40’s, BP stayed pretty close but at one point hit 50. No wastegate.
BMC I do have the dyno graph and the data stream print out. I don’t have a lot of patience scanning things. It is in a large format bigger than my scanner.
Wife is getting pissed / impatient to get her rig back on the road so I need to get it together. Engine has been sitting on the stand since 2018!

Big Bore

Reaction score
Its funny, go back another page and read CurtisF comments.

http://powerstrokearmy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54632

Seems like people are still coming at this from the wrong direction. He ran 250/200's, 38r, and most importantly....tuned properly. Stock oil, stock head bolts, stock springs, pushrods etc. towed over 10,000ft passes with low egt's passing everyone. dynoed 490hp at Denver altitude. On PMR's. I'm running tunes he did for me 7 years ago after going through several big name tuners. Best tunes ever. Bigger injectors work better because you're not running at the ragged edge of the injector. Bigger nozzles keep egts down because you can tune them better i.e. less pw and more precise timing and they keep the pistons cooler. Small injectors never run as cool as bigger injectors with bigger nozzles. But the main thing is tunes. Good luck finding someone who actually gets it. Maybe ********.

Bmcgarvie

Reaction score
MJ, low rpm self destruction has entered my mind, I plan to not enjoy that capibility too much. I’m well aware of how much more iron is in the bottom end of a 3408 Cat or big Mack V8. Boost was in the 40’s, BP stayed pretty close but at one point hit 50. No wastegate.
BMC I do have the dyno graph and the data stream print out. I don’t have a lot of patience scanning things. It is in a large format bigger than my scanner.
Wife is getting pissed / impatient to get her rig back on the road so I need to get it together. Engine has been sitting on the stand since 2018!

I was just curious because those numbers are almost identical to the newest 6.7. I’d be interested in seeing how the graphs stack against each other. With or without the graphs you gotta get that motor stabbed in the truck and tells us how she tows! And speaking of bottom end beef would it be beneficial for girdles or even a bed plate at this level? Or at what point do we gotta worry about those caps walking.

PSD POWER007

Reaction score
I love my 7.3 Excursion build. 180/80’s, Irate 364.5, Adrenaline, Strictly Diesel RR, forged rod block with comp 910’s and ARP studs, Sam Wyse stage 2 tranny. It will absolutely tow with anything on the road! Run GH tuning on the Hydra and EGT’s are a none issue.

Latest posts

Members online