OUO adaptable length bolt on kit review

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
i just want to say that besides dereeting my 6.7, that this setup i ordered from jared are hands down the best thing i have ever done to a truck! any truck!! i wish I would have done this when i bought the truck off the lot... my shifts are solid and firm, no sloppy slinky feeling, my braking has even inproved a ton, and it took about 50% of the infamous 40-45mph hop away!!!

the bars are stout and made well, the cast parts are heavy but also weldable if not wanting to drill the frame.. i really thought of doing that as i jave a bum shoulder but looks and functions amazingly well..

only complaint i have are the instructions that came with it.. lots of parts and skipping around a lil made it confusing.. i knownitnis prolly easier to just throw the hole lot in together but there should be directions for each specific set of bars and bolt on kits. i think what took me the longest was reading and re reading and finding torque specs and the order that it was needed to be done and the step by step on what way to put it together.. once you find each part then its ok as long as you dont put them down and let the wond blow them around.. lol.. did that once.. maybe a list of what is needed for install too.. i didnt know i needed a 5/8 hole in the one side of the bar till i was to that point(yes i should have read all instructions first but i was impatient)and i wouldnt have had that bit if i wasnt doing this at work with the mechanics rig that i have stocked with most everything i needed except a nag drill.. lol

drilling sucks.. as i just drilled pilot holes big enough to start a reamer bit and slowly worked them open to just shynof 3/8s and then finished/squared them off with a step bit.. it took so luch less effort to do it that way and not doing a pilot hole then jumping to a 3/8s bit or inwould have needed to stop a quarter of the way through and paid someone to do it for me due to my shoulder.. but anyway, a mag drill or lots of good drill bits would be needed if you didnt do it my way.. i used two 1/4 drill bits(now junk) one 1/2 inch reamer bit(still like new) and a step bit(still ok but not newish anymore) to drill the holes in the frame.. the directions say a minimum of 8 inches of overlap in the tubes is required. so as most know, the longer the bars are, the better the ride is and betternfor towing.. so i marked the inner bars at 8 inches from the end. lined that mark up with the pilot holes on the outer bar so that puts them at close to 9 inches of overlap then set the bolt on frame mount on the end without the bushing and used that as my guide for the distance of mounting on the frame. it worked out to be 3 and 3/4 inces from the body mount.. after it is put together with the bushings installed and tight, that puts about 10 inches of overlap in the tube so i should be good to go there.. it is tedious job but all in all its more time consuming then it is hard to install.. the small bolts for the frame being small only required 18ft lbs which seems super low and they still spun on the washers when not backed up with a wrench but hey, what do i know.. i ended up haveing to go back through and torque each nut on the fram mounts 3 times though cuz it kept tighting more as it went so i kust have got a couple holes not lined up propper but to get them all to 18ish ftlbs of torque and even, that is what i had to do on each side.. so with that said!

absolutely love them!!!

fb594699dcb03da3b36701a65262e9e3.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

jimdawg185

Reaction score
Dereeted? Ruh ro! Maybe re ereeted at ****ty wok!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jomax

Reaction score
So, after driving it for a day, still happy?

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
looks good

their directions show a mild steel frame bracket not cast
I wonder why the changed?

pdf http://www.oneupoffroad.com/images/OUO_Adaptable_Traction_Bar.pdf
updated the brackets. new style
So, after driving it for a day, still happy?

yes, absolutely amazing!
Dereeted? Ruh ro! Maybe re ereeted at ****ty wok!

lol.. dipchit!

C2tuck

Reaction score
What did those set you back if you don't mind me asking? I know PMF's w/blocks are around $1500.

Zmann

Reaction score
the cast parts are heavy but also weldable if not wanting to drill the frame

updated bracket may "look" better but welding mild steel to the frame is a lot stronger IMO
seems like a lot of effort to come up with a cast design?
i guess the bracket assembly was tedious?

OUOTractionBars018small.jpg

Last edited:

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
updated bracket may "look" better but welding mild steel to the frame is a lot stronger IMO

who knows man.. maybe it was a production call... might produce more that way instead of welding them together... also, it says its a weldable cast alloy so it must not be a true pig iron cast steel..

Zmann

Reaction score
I am sure your correct
that must be it it is low alloy cast I have not welded that to mild

nighthawk285

Reaction score
looks good

their directions show a mild steel frame bracket not cast
I wonder why the changed?

pdf http://www.oneupoffroad.com/images/OUO_Adaptable_Traction_Bar.pdf

I had the same question when I did mine. IIRC, Dave told me it was more cost and time effective to have the pieces cast than to bend and assemble the brackets. Batch casting was a better option for them, and it was stronger at the bushing than the mild steel. Their warranty plan is "if you break it, we'll build you something stronger"

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
I had the same question when I did mine. IIRC, Dave told me it was more cost and time effective to have the pieces cast than to bend and assemble the brackets. Batch casting was a better option for them, and it was stronger at the bushing than the mild steel. Their warranty plan is "if you break it, we'll build you something stronger"
i like that warranty plan

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
well, im sure the cast parts are twice as heavy so im sure that makes it a lil stronger too...

Breaking Habits

Reaction score
well, im sure the cast parts are twice as heavy so im sure that makes it a lil stronger too...

The 101041 & 101044 cast axle bar mounts packaged are only 1lb heavier than the predecessor welded 101041 & 101042(superceded), but are definitely stronger.

The 101020 Beside Frame Pivot Mounts came out about 2 lbs heavier total cast boxed - They are much stronger, and quicker to produce in high quantity for us, so we are much happier. This allows our welders to focus on building more bars, ala's, and traction blocks because we never run out of pivot mounts (we do batches of 500 at a time)

Also Jake, Dave asked me to respond to you about the instructions as well since he doesn't really post on forums

-----------
Per Dave -
We are sorry about the torque spec in the instructions.
The 3/8-24 Bolts should be torqued to 33 Ft Lbs when running thru the frame with nut on them instead of the 18 ftlbs.
We have fixed this typo, thanks for helping us with the problem.
If you used Loctite remember to warm up the bolt to release the lock tight to get a true torque.
We update the instructions every time we print them and try to incorporate feedback to make the install more clear.
-Dave Hoppert, One Up Offroad
----------
-Jared

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
The 101041 & 101044 cast axle bar mounts packaged are only 1lb heavier than the predecessor welded 101041 & 101042(superceded), but are definitely stronger.

The 101020 Beside Frame Pivot Mounts came out about 2 lbs heavier total cast boxed - They are much stronger, and quicker to produce in high quantity for us, so we are much happier. This allows our welders to focus on building more bars, ala's, and traction blocks because we never run out of pivot mounts (we do batches of 500 at a time)

Also Jake, Dave asked me to respond to you about the instructions as well since he doesn't really post on forums

-----------
Per Dave -
We are sorry about the torque spec in the instructions.
The 3/8-24 Bolts should be torqued to 33 Ft Lbs when running thru the frame with nut on them instead of the 18 ftlbs.
If you used Loctite remember to warm up the bolt to release the lock tight to get a true torque.
We update the instructions every time we print them and try to incorporate feedback to make the install more clear.
-Dave Hoppert, One Up Offroad
----------
-Jared

right on!.. now that makes way more sense!!

should the nuts be taken off and more red lock tight be used if already set up and re-torqued to the 33ftlbs? i would assume so im case it got to hot and burnt it out..

Latest posts

Members online