2010 6.4 Won't Start After Emergency Shutdown

sprale

Reaction score
Hello, and sorry if this isn't in the right forum. Our 2010 6.4 threw an emergency shutdown warning on a 97° Texas afternoon, and we pulled to the side of the Interstate.

The truck wouldn't crank, so I disconnected from the travel trailer to push into the ditch and troubleshoot. Naturally, no shade to be found and the family in tow. The only thing that came up lately was the warning to drain the water/fuel separator, which I did.

I disconnected the batteries and pulled the ECM power fuse/relay, waited a few minutes, the put it all back together. Initially, it still would not crank, but after a few more minutes it would crank, but not fire.

Any thoughts on what to check next? I'm waiting on the in laws to drop by with a code reader (naturally I left mine at home).

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

sootie

Reaction score
is the truck stock? have you tried using the jumper wire beside the passenger battery with the ignition on to see if it will start?

sprale

Reaction score
is the truck stock? have you tried using the jumper wire beside the passenger battery with the ignition on to see if it will start?
Sootie,
The truck is stock, but I'm not sure I follow about the jumper. What am I looking for, and how does it work?
cff6539cd8b811195ced43b783269868.jpg

sootie

Reaction score
it is the one closest to the washer fluid fill. pull apart the bullet connector and touch the side that runs down to the starter, to the positive post on the battery. if you have the ignition on, it should start the truck.

sprale

Reaction score
it is the one closest to the washer fluid fill. pull apart the bullet connector and touch the side that runs down to the starter, to the positive post on the battery. if you have the ignition on, it should start the truck.
The problem isn't that the starter won't crank, it will. The truck just won't fire up. It acts like it's not getting fuel or something, but it's beyond me.

Last edited:

sprale

Reaction score
oh :(

Cant really do much without a scanner.
Totally. Would you mind dropping by my place to grab mine on the way to the middle of nowhere, Texas?

sprale

Reaction score
Throwing a P200E code, cat overheated and still won't fire. Pulled the trailer to a rest stop and taking the truck to cut the cat out next. Man, it's hot today...

sprale

Reaction score
Are you tuned ?
Nope, I generally like to keep my vehicles stock unless I need to make changes for reliability.

So the truck cranks and sounds like it wants to fire. Could the cat or diesel particulate filter (acronym is censored? 🤔) be clogged and create too much back-pressure to fire?

Last edited:

sprale

Reaction score
Moved to the proper forum.

Where is this BFE Texas, might be able to help.
Thanks for moving the thread! The truck is near Luling. Dropping the trailer back home near Austin tonight.

conroekid

Reaction score
Idk if you solved your issue yet. My 2010 6.4 acted like this awhile back. Wasn't able to use a scanner to see what codes come up but asked for help on a Facebook page. Found out it was the fuel shutoff in a little compartment on the side of the dash, passenger side. Reset it and it fired right up.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.