Looking at a 2008 f250

sootie

Reaction score
i would spend some quality time reading in the six four section LOL

Stroked777

Reaction score
If you can get a delete tune I say get a 6.4. If not. Either get a 6.oh or a new 6.7 depending on yor budget. I love my 6.4 but if you can't delete them, then they aren't worth it in my eyes

B585Ford

Reaction score
I tend to be a pessimist and very cautious when buying used and not real trusting of CL so I have a bit of bias....but something don't seem right with this one...he says he just put the lift on 3k miles ago....why would someone spend that much money to turn around and sell it that soon (unless you have more money than you know what do with). Also, he is selling cause he is "leaving the state"...Cali is known for being brutal on emissions testing, etc. so why does he have to sell this because he is leaving the state.

As everyone already said...read up on the problems with 6.4s so you know what you are getting yourself in to...I love my truck and won't ever sell it but the 6.4 does have some weakness that eventually have to be addressed. If you are mechanically inclined, that can definitely be helpful. Since you are military, I will give you a brief list of problem areas:
1. Emissions ch#t - many of the problems with a 6.4 come from this - like everyone said, if you can't delete it, you don't want it.
2. Radiator - they ALL eventually leak
3. Fuel system - the factory water separator on the LP system is ch#tty and can lead to HPFP failures...
4. HPFP failures....the remans are junk if you have to replace them and you can't get new ones.
5. Rockers - usually only a problem on non-deleted trucks
6. Pistons - they are definitely hit and miss
7. Head Gaskets - really they aren't that bad but on a deleted truck with much of tune, they probably will give up eventually.
8. Up pipes will usually fail eventually if tuned
9. Ch#tty gas mileage - of course, nothing running 37s is gonna do very good.

I am sure I left some chi#t out, but that is a beginning

Pros:
1. Very stout bottom end
2. Stout tranny and drivetrain
3. Amazing power with just a delete, tuner, and CAI...it takes the least amount of mods to get to 550-600 RWHP.
4. Factory compound turbos which tend to hold up very well
5. Factory intercooler is pretty good for a factory intercooler
6. Unlike a Cummins, it isn't surrounded by Dodge so the rest of the ch#t holds up well.

Good luck

B585Ford

Reaction score
Hey Brett your radiator was leaking right? Thats what you told your wife anyhow!LOL

Good point...hopefully she doesn't read my earlier post!!!

OP,
So there is no confusion....he sent me a pic of his radiator leaking which I showed my wife and I used as an excuse to buy an Alradco....I haven't installed it yet, because we were able to stop the leak temporarily. :naughty:

Latest posts

Members online