Transmission HELP!

MaxdLaw

Reaction score
I have a 05 6.0 with 8 inch lift and 38s and numerous go fast parts. Whenevr I drive normally around town when it shifts from 2 to 3 gear it spikes the rpm about 500 and then shifts to third. I've read it could be a clutch plate it it's worrying me. Any suggestions on what it could be and what kinda money I'm looking at to fix it. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mdub707

Reaction score
are you sure its not 3-5 shift?

This, are you positive it's not the shift from 3rd to 5th, it's the most common to have the "flare" you're talking about. Mine is doing it right now. Need to put a new solenoid in it.

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score
I'm guessing it's 3-5 also. My upgrade direct solenoid will fix that right up. Plenty on the shelf too! Can have it to you in 3 days

MaxdLaw

Reaction score
True story. Mine was doing the exact same thing and one of Steve's solenoids fixed it right up.

How much power are your guys trucks putting out and on what size tires. It's bad to where I can't even drive the truck now. I'm just gonna have to get a built tranny. I need one anyways

Mdub707

Reaction score
It happens on stock trucks with stock size tires, it's not really a power issue, nor a gearing issue (tire size) it's the electronic solenoid that controls the shift from 3-5th gear. They are built using very tight tolerance parts and can "stick" sort of, causing that lazy shift. Just replace the solenoid. Getting a built tranny may solve the issue, but why buy an entire new trans when yours is probably fine? What kind of power level are you running? What size injectors and what size turbo?

sootie

Reaction score
i tend to disagree. a big lifted truck with large tires getting beat on is more likely to have taken its toll on the direct clutches and putting a solenoid in is just a bandaid. i've been there myself.

MaxdLaw

Reaction score
i tend to disagree. a big lifted truck with large tires getting beat on is more likely to have taken its toll on the direct clutches and putting a solenoid in is just a bandaid. i've been there myself.

True. Why do minimum when I'd have to do it over. For now it's sitting till I get a BD and ladder bars.

MaxdLaw

Reaction score
It happens on stock trucks with stock size tires, it's not really a power issue, nor a gearing issue (tire size) it's the electronic solenoid that controls the shift from 3-5th gear. They are built using very tight tolerance parts and can "stick" sort of, causing that lazy shift. Just replace the solenoid. Getting a built tranny may solve the issue, but why buy an entire new trans when yours is probably fine? What kind of power level are you running? What size injectors and what size turbo?

Here's the build sheet.
5etamyhy.jpg

sootie

Reaction score
True. Why do minimum when I'd have to do it over. For now it's sitting till I get a BD and ladder bars.

what is a BD? i agree on traction bars..hit up trevor @ PMF he is NotStock on here.

also-for a trans, Morgan @ Midwest Diesel builds a stout 5R

AirFishAutomotive

Reaction score

Im sure the lift etc isnt helping anything but its only running 155's according to the paper

Latest posts

Members online