DOT nailed me, need bigger rig...

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Farmers can own a semi truck and trailer, and use it for the farm without a CDL, but it has to have farm plates on it and don't get caught using it to haul someone else's grain (for example). Basically, don't run for hire if you don't have a CDL.

this^^^… no matter the weight either... only thing we can get in trouble for is being over the gross weight...

btw, hauling that many bales of hay that weigh that much with a pickup is ***tarded!!

live life full throttle

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Colorado state law as long as it's personal it dose not matter, when it becomes business we can't pull a trailer over 9,999 or have a GVWR of more than 26,000. Which I've found most states follow this set of laws.

thats every state... cdl requirements are federal mandated not state to state...

live life full throttle

Twan

Reaction score
thats every state... cdl requirements are federal mandated not state to state...

live life full throttle

Thanks, that's good to know.
Do you know if DOT goes of the GVWR of the truck, I was told they do not, but only off the axle weights on your truck. I haven't been able to find that info online yet.

Oil Field Trash

Reaction score
I was doing some checking and the tandem semi's aren't much more than the single axle. Guess I will be looking for one of those. Any suggestions on brand/motor? Are the Allison autos worth a crap? How do those work in a big truck? The more capacity would pay for itself in fuel savings pretty quick it looks like.

I personally like KWs T-800s and Cat engines. Run from an Allison! 13spd will work just fine

TyCorr

Reaction score
Screw the other motorists, if they don't want to get killed, they shouldn't be on the road.

Not everybody is rolling through Sacto. He might live somewhere that you dont always see cars. Im not saying he does. I could test a setup for safety ON THE ROAD and do it several times without interacting with other motorists. I dont but I could.

B585Ford

Reaction score
Are you sure the DOT goes of the GVWR of the trailer? I was told they don't, but of the axle and hitch of your trailer.

If you are going to get busted for being over-weight, you are exactly right....axles, tires, hitch are what they go by. Need for CDL goes by GVWR. Remember, most dual tandum GNs only have (2) 10k axles (occassionally (2) 12k axles) and those weights include trailer weight. Assuming you had 12 k axles (which are relatively uncommon) or a tri-axle single wheel trailer (usually they have 7k axles), to be legal (just in terms of the axle trailer weight) with 32k in hay, you would have to make sure you had about 20k of tongue weight (assuming the hitch and coupler were rated for 40k)....No pickup truck has 20k axles .

B585Ford

Reaction score

live life full throttle

That's what I thought except they may have different exemptions (not sure). I believe the requirement DOT numbers is what varies by state.

Lang

Reaction score
Anybody? What about towing a 10-12k boat? You NEED a CDL?

6point0damn2004

Reaction score
Getting paid has nothing to do with you needing or not needing a CDL. For that matter, how much weight you are towing doesn't matter. If you have a GCWR over 26k, you need a CDL. For example, I have a GCWR of 30900 for my truck and trailer (11400 for my F350 and my trailer is rated 20500) . Even with the trailer empty, I couldn't legally drive my truck with the trailer until I got my CDL. To take the driving portion of the test (when I only had my CDL permit), I had to get someone with a Class A CDL, to ride with me to go to the testing location. There are some exemptions such as a tiolet law (this allows RVs not to require one). Look up your state laws for exemptions. The FMCSA website also provides useful info.

Boats and RV's are a different Animal. You can drive a full size pusher engine RV and a stacker car trailer and be longer than a tractor trailer and as long as its for personal use you can drive it with no CDL

Twan

Reaction score
Look back on pagie 3, lol.
As of now, only it your getting paid to haul it. Unless you live in California, which they state that any trailer over 9,999 needs a CDL.

PDT1081

Reaction score
Farmers can own a semi truck and trailer, and use it for the farm without a CDL, but it has to have farm plates on it and don't get caught using it to haul someone else's grain (for example). Basically, don't run for hire if you don't have a CDL.

They also have a 150 mile operating radius, and are considered "farm" as long as they are hauling out of the field. Start emptying grain bins and it becomes "commercial." Or it's something like that.

B585Ford

Reaction score

Go look at the manufacturer's sticker (it should be in your door for your truck and on the trailer for your boat (usually front left side). If the GVWR of your truck plus trailer is under 26k, you don't need one. Most boats that don't require an oversize load permit (because of width) won't be heavy enough to require one. There also may be an exemption for boats (like RVs)...I am not sure. That being said, unless you are driving a F550 or so haul it, it probably will be under 26k so you won't. DOT goes by manufacturer's sticker.

Ipkyss

Reaction score
Am I the only one reading this post thinking that there is no way its as heavy as he thinks? For one, DOT would have had it towed around here. And I am thinking thats 47,000-49,000 gcvw. I feel like I am pushing my luck with my enclosed goose that puts me at 28k gcvw and he is adding 20k to my weight. I have not even seen a gooseneck rated for that kind of weight that had electric brakes.

If your only going that short of a distance. Get an old two axle truck and a flat bed trailer for 10-15k and run it for years with more weight then what you are trying to kill a pick up with.

UnrepentantSinner

Reaction score
Well got me a Kenworth T600 and 45ft aluminum trailer coming, should have it delivered next week sometime and will go take the big boys license test.

Made one last haul from W KS to Springfield, MO with a load of trees, don't know what it was weighing but with 30 7ft blue spruce in 34" balls and 30 8ft austrian pines in 36" balls it was heavy as hell.

Just south of Kansas City the right side Air Lift airbag popped and the tranny temp running around 220-225, but the ole 7.3l still clipped along at 70mph. Not bad for having 305k on the clock and having spent most of its life hauling around way more than it was ever meant to.

i'll be glad to have something that won't arch the leaf springs the wrong way and stop better!

erybages.jpg

Last edited:

UnrepentantSinner

Reaction score
Lol. It has a 3406e and a 15 speed with deep reduction. Trailer has spread axle. Not sure of that's a good combo but probably better than what I've been using.

shoalwater

Reaction score
Getting paid has nothing to do with you needing or not needing a CDL. For that matter, how much weight you are towing doesn't matter. If you have a GCWR over 26k, you need a CDL. For example, I have a GCWR of 30900 for my truck and trailer (11400 for my F350 and my trailer is rated 20500) . Even with the trailer empty, I couldn't legally drive my truck with the trailer until I got my CDL. To take the driving portion of the test (when I only had my CDL permit), I had to get someone with a Class A CDL, to ride with me to go to the testing location. There are some exemptions such as a tiolet law (this allows RVs not to require one). Look up your state laws for exemptions. The FMCSA website also provides useful info.

^^^^^^^
This is true at least in most states.