Let's talk hitches

TrickTruck

Reaction score
Yes, put PMF traction bars on just before pulling the toyhauler to Hatfield McCoy this weekend. 5hrs each way.
With the compressor fixed airing up the airbags to 70psi took seconds. Hitch is all setup. Off we went.

I immediately noticed the rear end felt more planted. With significantly less 'squishy butt' feeling from the trailer pushing it around. Seemed to ride better on the rough sections as well.
Passing semis is no longer a countersteer operation, it's just pass them and it's all fairly well locked in. One windy section I was needing to pay close attention, but that's really it.

Still feel like the Hensley is for me, but I'm very happy to say that the combination of airbags and traction bars has made all the difference in the world in my truck.

Reaction score
We are fighting this with my parents 01 250, eclb. I can hook the same trailer (it's a 2012 Keystone Outback, 31ft and about 8000lbs)
eeae2bf667238ccbcefa45da8709da29.jpg
behind my truck and it is not near the issue it is on theirs. We are going to hopefully be taking it out today and play with all the hitch adjustments. I just don't understand how it's so different between the two trucks. Theirs is 4x4, 285/75/r16s, usual 7.3 mods, and the biggest difference is mine is the 06 6.0, and is a CCLB. And the PO put a leveling block up front, and aftermarket 18x10 rims with 325s on it. Both trucks have factory front sway bars and Hellwig big rig rears

06-6.0l, CCLB 4X4, studded, reworked heads, egr gone, cab reroute, blue spring mod, 6.4 banjos, updated dummy plugs, stand pipe, and stc fitting; New oil cooler, New ipr, New icp, atlas 40 FICM, powermax turbo, and Geerhead tunes, 325/65R18

mandkole

Reaction score
I have never had a tag enclosed car trailer, whether it be 20, 24 or 28' want to wag around bad unless it was weighted to much to rear. That's pulling with the 97 CCSB, the 94 SCLB, or the 00 CCSB. All of that said, both of the OBSs felt better in front of trailers than the current 2000 does. Ive found that I needed to much more aggressively preload the WD hitch to get a little more weight transferred to the front on the 2000. I don't know their rate, but the rear springs have always felt a tad softer (even though they are much newer) than on the early trucks. Never had to use a friction bar.

Both OBSs also had toyo ATs. I will never run an MT tire again. I do not like these procomps but I wont put up with the squirmy tread and the noise any more.

Reaction score
I have never had a tag enclosed car trailer, whether it be 20, 24 or 28' want to wag around bad unless it was weighted to much to rear. That's pulling with the 97 CCSB, the 94 SCLB, or the 00 CCSB. All of that said, both of the OBSs felt better in front of trailers than the current 2000 does. Ive found that I needed to much more aggressively preload the WD hitch to get a little more weight transferred to the front on the 2000. I don't know their rate, but the rear springs have always felt a tad softer (even though they are much newer) than on the early trucks. Never had to use a friction bar.

Both OBSs also had toyo ATs. I will never run an MT tire again. I do not like these procomps but I wont put up with the squirmy tread and the noise any more.
My old obs also handeled a bit better too, but it also had airbags, not sure if they help with sway though. We will be making more adjustments tomorrow, and driving till I get their hitch set right. Still baffled at how differently my 06 handles the sway so much better

06-6.0l, CCLB 4X4, studded, reworked heads, egr gone, cab reroute, blue spring mod, 6.4 banjos, updated dummy plugs, stand pipe, and stc fitting; New oil cooler, New ipr, New icp, atlas 40 FICM, powermax turbo, and Geerhead tunes, 325/65R18

Jomax

Reaction score

But do you use a WD hitch?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dirtclod

Reaction score
To be honest I've never pulled anything with a Ed hitch until I got this 35'. I've pulled enclosed trailers 22' with 1/2 ton trucks,farm equipment,car trailers but this 35' tag along is a beast. Paperwork says 10k. It's pulling really good now and I'm guessing a little ware on the tires has a lot to sowing it. The extra sway bar helps a little I can tell. I also got a new brake controller that works off inertia. If it starts swaying I just push the red button down and straightens. All in all I'd say this Ed hitch with 2 friction bars is well worth the investment if towing a pull behind.

Reaction score
Got the truck loaded this morning, we're off to get fuel, then back to pickup trailer, hopefully we'll get it figured out

Reaction score
Just an update, we almost completely eliminated the sway this morning, I moved the ball 1 hole up (which is one hole down from very first location), and was able to go one chain link tighter. The only time it swayed was when I had to manipulate it to do so. The other day you couldn't go over 50 before it was all over the place, today I was able to maintain the speed limit of 70 (plus or minus on hills) and was plenty comfortable enough to drive with one hand of you pleased. I still recommended to my parents to go ahead and get the second sway bar for the other side just for insurance. They also need to get a redhead steering box and new shocks in the rear at minimum (original ones have no rebound left in them, and steering is extremely loose making all situations with sway even worse).

Latest posts

Members online