6.7 cam spin worries for 650HP mark

8LugEmpire

Reaction score
I’m looking to put a compound turbo on my 2016 6.7 from MDP and a p3 conversion possibly. I’d like to be around the 650HP mark when I’m done and won’t be racing in any fashion just some occasional RV towing and DD. I’ll be running a Fass titanium whisper lift pump, GDP tunes on a ezlynk 2.0, a 5” flopro SS, no limit egr ****** and possible intercooler.

1. Do I need to address cam or main bearings spinning at this HP?? I have heard conflicting answers

2. Do I need higher than stock injectors? If so what %

3. What size atomospheric would you suggest for the compound?

3. Any other advice.

TIA

sootie

Reaction score
No worries on cam or any bearing spin at that power level.

You can attain that number on stock injectors

Why not just go with a modified factory style drop in vgt if your goals are only 650hp? No loss in drivability or towing, simpler to install and cheaper to boot?
I made 668HP /1248tq on a loaded dyno with a Midwest 66.5mm turbo and Midwest stroker cp4 hpfp. Everything else on the truck bone stock. Has been run HARD like that for years now with no failures.

Intercoolers on these trucks are a waste of money-stick with stock.

If you are dead set on compounds, a 76mm ball bearing charger would work the best, but its pricey. You will also be on the borrowed time with the bottom end. (capable of 740hp with dual pumps or a stroker pump). An s475 would probably work best for what you are planning.

Also, i would save the money on the FASS. Stock works fine guaranteed up to 750hp, why sacrifice OEM reliability?

sootie

Reaction score
What about transmission issues at that level?

live life full throttle

not really an issue with good tuning. Heck mine still functions and it had 150k miles on it before it started getting abused two years ago LOL

8LugEmpire

Reaction score
I was looking to go compound because great low-end torque, strong mid-range and exceptional top-end performance.

Anyone else have opinions or experience with spin bearings?

8LugEmpire

Reaction score
Also on the Fass, I’ll take the extra filtration and water and air separation any day. No sense in skipping that to save a few bucks.

sootie

Reaction score
Also on the Fass, I’ll take the extra filtration and water and air separation any day. No sense in skipping that to save a few bucks.

have fun on the tow truck ride when it fails....

Why not add something like the dieselsite kit that adds a filter and a water separator, but retains the factory pump? Much more reliable.

doo dah

Reaction score
I'm not at 650 but not far either (587) with an S363 and stock 2012 fuel. Could break 600 easily with just a '15 pump and near 650 with a stroker. I had transmission replaced due to tuning (I think) and now have a Suncoast built. None of my oil analysis has come back with any indication of excess metal so I'm sure bearings are fine as is the cam. I have 235k miles on mine. If you look around online there are more people than ever running 650+ on trucks on stock lpfp and most are built by very reputable shops so if they trust stock I trust stock, again no issues in 235k miles. Compounds would be cool if you aren't on a budget but for your HP goal it is throwing money away in my opinion. BTW I'd love to have compounds but my tuner told me that I'd be lighting the wick on a bomb if I did. Sootie knows his stuff so I typically heed his advice. But, if you are deadset on aftermarket lpfp and compounds cool, be sure and share the results on here...with pics or it didn't happen! :)

Latest posts

Members online