T4 questions

m_j

Reaction score
Wow, tough crowd . Lol

Ok then I'm going with "similar".

I'm sure the new ones Charlie has now are not too far off as reviews are indicating and a heck of a lot better then a stock turbo.

at one time people pimped the D66 idea too.

I havent tried any KC products.

Back woods

Reaction score
Please...

There is a guy on FTE that has the KC drop in 'sxe clone' running 1250-1275 egts with the Van turbo and 85hp tune. FYI, the van housing is 1.15. IMHO there is nothing impressive about his results. I can only imagine what his EGTs would be if he had a .84 or 1.0 housing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoV0AuejspE

In comparison, here is my SXE with a .91 housing on stock injectors pushing 35s, towing a 5th wheel on a 65hp tune running lower rpms (due bigger tires) and my EGTS are significantly less at 1000 degrees:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zH01EW8Vy0Q

For tech sake, I am the "Van Turbo" guy on FTE. It does run good and will hit 28psi. 95% of the time it does great, only when you have to give it 85-100% throttle while towing it heats up. 4psi @ 1500rpm /12psi @ 2000rpm. Pulling it in favor of an S366 too see if it lives up to the hype. I want to beable to tow at WOT through the mountains @ 1200 or less.

Strokersace

Reaction score
For tech sake, I am the "Van Turbo" guy on FTE. It does run good and will hit 28psi. 95% of the time it does great, only when you have to give it 85-100% throttle while towing it heats up. 4psi @ 1500rpm /12psi @ 2000rpm. Pulling it in favor of an S366 too see if it lives up to the hype. I want to beable to tow at WOT through the mountains @ 1200 or less.

So what exact KC turbo are you running?

Or did you rebuild a stock van turbo with internals from KC?

Back woods

Reaction score
So what exact KC turbo are you running?

Or did you rebuild a stock van turbo with internals from KC?

It is a Van turbo, ebpv ****** and s300 turbine, 9+0 billet compressor with ATS housing. Didnt buy the ATS for the turck, just had it around.

akcooper9

Reaction score
So yes I've been following peoples success with the kc drop in and was under the understanding that they have been doing great. Yours was the first I've heard of poor performance. I did notice that yours was one the beta tester models when they first came out..

Here are two others who have made the switch:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1573938-talk-me-out-of-a-kc38r-3.html#post18510725

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1573938-talk-me-out-of-a-kc38r-2.html#post18510125

Sadly I think the hole beta tester thing is a downfall. You have guys buying discounted turbos and testing. Testing what? They have no clue. Heck I was one of them. Had it not been for @TheBrad I would have though it was a great turbo and moved on.

I suspect most guys having 'success' are doing 1 of 2 things... (1) Fixing currently exhaust leaks when they install bellowed up pipes and the new turbo (2) Continue to run that heavy tow tune.

makes me curious what Charlie has changed since then to make them better ??

Not sure what has changed except the switch from ball bearings to 360 bearings. I do find this video on KC's facebook interested: https://www.facebook.com/KCTurbos/videos/107426506862476/

I noticed multiple things that dont add up
  1. EGTs are 1100 degrees...what tune and how much fuel. Based on my experience I suspect its a HEAVY tow tune with close to stock level fuel to keep EGTs low. But like the question how many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie roll, the world may never know.
  2. Why are KC's results so much different then BackWood's van turbo with the cloned drop in turbine?
  3. 12K pounds...Please the truck weights what 8K and the trailer another 2k. A better test would be a highly wind resistant high profile trailer like a RV or toy hauler etc. I noticed a difference in EGTs when I tow the excavator vs the 5th wheel.
  4. How come they don't try recording accelerating from say 1800 rpms to 2300 rpms?
  5. OD....really with those big tires your turning 2200-2300 RPMs are 55-60 MPH in OD. You can't tell me KC doesnt know the difference between 3rd and 4th. Either that or the truck has been re geared.

Speaking of OD, here is a video towing the 5th wheel in 4th gear on the interstate up an incline (not a 6% grade) making 12-14 pounds at 1100 degree at 1900 rpms.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAIOWKf9EEs

Here is another video in 4th at 65MPH and 1750 RPMS going from 5 to 10 pounds of boost and EGTs stay at 1100 up an incline. Again, towing!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUGNsT-gsGE

Here is TheBrad's video towing in OD:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_6V4NGfi98

Obviously the bigger 35inch tires cause the trucks to run lower RPMs and extra fuel creates more heat but as you can see the SXE make it all a non issue.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
With a stage 1.5 or 2 the 38r or kc38r would be just fine for what you are looking to do. Tuning plays a big roll in towing and all the moving parts have to match. I had tuning issues with my setup in my dually then had it live tuned and all those issues went away. There's nothing wrong with a tow tune or a hot tune or towing in a hot tune as long as it is tuned properly or that you know how to drive the truck to overcome the high egt. In my case, wot! Lol

If you plan to go bigger than 500hp then go t4 and have many options for whatever you choose..

I can set the cruise with my pyro gauge in my dually. 60mph is 600° and so on and so forth. On flat ground anyway. Add 100° when i had my 12k 5th wheel hooked to it. And that was the hot tune. You would see 1200-1300° climbing hills but rarely. If it was a long hill then id just turn od off and let it breath and it would cool off to 1100 and run like a freight train.

In the tow tune, it didnt matter what or how heavy it was behind her and you could let anybody drive it... jump in and go and never get above °1100.

live life full throttle

Reaction score
I def won't be going over 500 hp. As nice as that would be for bragging rights, I don't need it AND my motor is more than likely the powder rod motor being a 02 and I have always been told 500+ on those is a ticking time bomb. I have been reading a lot of good things about the kc38r so I am leaning towards that to be honest.

Can I go straight to KC or do I have to go through a "vendor" to get the turbo? Save me some googling time ;-)

mcnance865

Reaction score
I def won't be going over 500 hp. As nice as that would be for bragging rights, I don't need it AND my motor is more than likely the powder rod motor being a 02 and I have always been told 500+ on those is a ticking time bomb. I have been reading a lot of good things about the kc38r so I am leaning towards that to be honest.

Can I go straight to KC or do I have to go through a "vendor" to get the turbo? Save me some googling time ;-)

The KC38r will not be what you are looking for. I have 238/80 injectors and with bigger tires, it still does not spool how I would like. If you must have a drop in I would say get the KC300x "Tiger Turbo". But I would direct you towards a 364.5sxe. That is exactly what you are asking for. I am wanting to switch to T4/sxe myself. (s369)

Reaction score
KC is telling me with the setup I am going wanting to go with that I would be happiest with this set up KC300x 63/73 with the .84 ? This one is actually a little cheaper which just tells me they are not trying to sell me something I don't need just to make a sale. I like that.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
KC is telling me with the setup I am going wanting to go with that I would be happiest with this set up KC300x 63/73 with the .84 ? This one is actually a little cheaper which just tells me they are not trying to sell me something I don't need just to make a sale. I like that.
Because its a row boat. The tighter turbine will help keep it spooled.

live life full throttle

Zeb

Reaction score

I think you would be happy with that turbo.

INFRNL

Reaction score
Curious what you end up going with and your thoughts?

Best setup I've ever had for egt's and economy was stock injectors, turbonetics turbo, and php tunes. When i switched to t4 setup, I've lost economy (most likely my 250/100 injectors) and higher egt's (even with stock injectors) along with turbo lag (that never existed before). On my t4, I've used a pius lasb (which isn't supposed to have any lag but does) and currently playing with a 369sxe.

Before i had my t4 setup, i never had any egt issues. I could run wot to 100mph floored and never too 1250. It's been yrs but iirc, stock injectors on t4/lasb has higher egt's than it should. I'll have to mess around again one day.

Anyway, i hope whatever you decided works out for you. I do l8ke being able to try different turbos with the t4 setup though. Makes for easier/cheaper upgrades in the future

Petro

Reaction score
Jesus Christ, listening to these guys I'm not sure how anyone ever towed with a 7.3 before aftermarket t-4 setups. ��. I can't count on 2 hand all the guys I know running drop in chargers for the last 10 years with larger Injectors and NONE, not one single truck has EGT issues. If you do it's because A. You have a boost or drive pressure leak or B. You have piss poor tuning. There is no other excuse. Do the drop ins spool as well as a T-4 charger? Probably not. But to say they dont work, period is hand down the dumbest f*cking thing I've ever read.
To the OP, a drop in 38r or KC charger will suite your needs perfectly fine. Don't feel the need to waste 3 grand for no reason.

TMCCOY

Reaction score
I would never suggest a 38R to anyone. Had one, noisy as hell, poor low to mid-range and then had surge with it that caused it to lose oil out the exhaust. Went to T4 and it is 10 fold the better charger. Could LIVE tuning have helped, probably, but the T4 had none of the problems with the same tuning. Now, the KC turbos are probably a better way to go and I have no experience with those so not knocking them one bit and in that case, may be a great alternative. I would stick with a modded stock turbo any day over a 38r.

Reaction score
I haven't ordered it yet (other life's issues coming first) but after all the research on my own and talking with KC, I will be going with the KC300x 63/73 with the .84. A lot of vendors I talked to just wanted me to go with the 38r because that's basically what everyone is using. KC actually took there time and asked me a bunch of questions about my driving style intentions, what kind of loads it will be pulling etc, etc.. and I like that in a company. Soon as I am able to make this purchase I will re-visit and let everyone know how I like it.

INFRNL

Reaction score
I'm sure a KC will be better than a 38r and suit your needs. If you haven't run a t4 setup, you won't have anything to miss. Can't miss what you never had.

Everyone used to always say to run a 38r but i wanted to be different. Back then everyone seemed to be happy with their 38r's... several years later, i read about failures or some of them are happy that they moved to the kc or t4's. They say turbos have improved quite a bit in the past several years.

I honestly don't see a huge difference from my pius lasb and my 369sxe. The obvious difference is the 369 is a bigger turbo, but sotp feel is minimal in my setup. I don't have any hard facts, just sotp feel, smoke and egts from eyes/gauges.
The 369 spools later, has a little more lag, pulls a little harder, little more boost, but that is expected as its a bigger turbo.

I imagine now that i have been using the 369, if i put my lasb back in; the differences might become more apparent.

I'll be trying a 366sxe here soon, we'll see how that compares.

PSD POWER007

Reaction score
Please don't forget to post the results when you try the SXE line. I have a Pius BASB turbo.

Billy T.
[email protected]

I have the BASB too and have loved every minute of it. But after seeing the back to back Dyno numbers Charlie posted between the BASB and the 364.5 SXE, I’m tempted to get one. Just swapping turbos picked up close to 40 whp and 125 wtq. And spooled faster. Didn’t see any downside to it.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Jesus Christ, listening to these guys I'm not sure how anyone ever towed with a 7.3 before aftermarket t-4 setups. ��. I can't count on 2 hand all the guys I know running drop in chargers for the last 10 years with larger Injectors and NONE, not one single truck has EGT issues. If you do it's because A. You have a boost or drive pressure leak or B. You have piss poor tuning. There is no other excuse. Do the drop ins spool as well as a T-4 charger? Probably not. But to say they dont work, period is hand down the dumbest f*cking thing I've ever read.
To the OP, a drop in 38r or KC charger will suite your needs perfectly fine. Don't feel the need to waste 3 grand for no reason.
A-***in Men, brother!!

live life full throttle

Latest posts

Members online