Low to normal oil pressure?

JCart

Reaction score
Tan truck is acting odd, upon start up will show low oil pressure, just above the “L” on the gauge, under 3 seconds pressure to L on start. After a while will show in middle of gauge as usual. Changed out the sensor with new Factory Ford one same same....
How to check by pass in filter head?
There is one more to check as well right?
If I put a fluid filled mechanical gauge on the sensor port on top of HPOP reservoir what should be ideal readings.
Should I also check at port on filter head?
Thanks for any suggestions.
j

Magnum PD

Reaction score
Verify oil pressure using a known good mechanical gauge and measuring at the oil reservoir and at the main oil galley. Oil pressure at both points should be 10 PSI minimum @ low idle and 40 PSI minimum @ wide open throttle with the engine at operating temperature.

Reaction score
What does your factory gauge read if you just ground the sensor's wire (it's actually just a switch vice a sensor) at both startup and eventually when it reads middle? Could just be a guage problem. Cheers!

JCart

Reaction score
Verify oil pressure using a known good mechanical gauge and measuring at the oil reservoir and at the main oil galley. Oil pressure at both points should be 10 PSI minimum @ low idle and 40 PSI minimum @ wide open throttle with the engine at operating temperature.

Beauties thank you Magnum PD! Have a gauge will keep you posted... the E4OD just went out, this last weekend so in the process of installing a ZF..... did I mention for my needs I just hate the fawker E4s..

JCart

Reaction score
What does your factory gauge read if you just ground the sensor's wire (it's actually just a switch vice a sensor) at both startup and eventually when it reads middle? Could just be a guage problem. Cheers!

As usual Patrick awesome suggestion, will check it out here soon, once I get the ZF in and back on road.
Gonna do a bunch of stuff while it’s down.
ZF conversion
E fuel
Rebuild turbo with KC S300 internals on stocker.
Dick about with up pipes and pinch weld on cab/floor pan while tranny is out.
Then sort out oil pressure.

Thanks for continued support guys appreciate it.
j

JCart

Reaction score
So I didn’t check pressure, (yet) opted to swap in a new Melling LPOP, just cause. @Patrick Feeley, if I unhook the pressure switch on top the HPOP Reservoir, the gauge needle will drop from usual (middle of gauge), to the “L” for 20 seconds or so then finally snap to usual no pressure resting spot, this is with engine running.

Now when I shut engine off (with new Melling), gauge goes from middle to the “L” and stays there. When I turn key back on to start it’ll drop to no pressure, truck fires up gauges snaps to L instantly, then after a while will snap to middle of gauge?

The other odd issue is my E fuel mechanical gauge on the Aeromotive regulator will not hold pressure after shut down, when I first installed 3 weeks ago it would. No leaks external, system has RiffRaff fuel banjo bolts front of the block and is fed through rear banjo bolt holes, using Diesel Innovations H Pressure fittings to each respective head, stock return lines to regulator.

Hypothetically, if I had deteriorating injector o rings, some injector ring debris could get caught in the regulator and hold it open after shut down Yes? If this was the case I’d show oil consumption right?

Guess I’d better rig up a mechanical oil pressure gauge...

Truck has 108,000 miles on it.
Thanks guys,
jrc

Last edited:

mandkole

Reaction score
Would be real surprised if anything but the gauge, sensor or wiring. Chased a couple of oil press gauges on the old obs. Had plenty of pressure w mech gauge.

Latest posts

Members online