aftermarket fuel tanks?

washingtoncoastie

Reaction score
Since I am relativly new to the excursion world I was wondering if anyone has swaped out their stock tank with a larger one? I am looking to be able to go as close to 1000 miles on a tankful as I can. I haven't ran through a whole tank yet on the highway. But in mixed driving I have seen a little over 500 miles on a single tank. Are there even any options out there for us? I haven't done any research yet, just seeing if anyone else has before I jump in.
PHP:

washingtoncoastie

Reaction score
LOL wow! That's when your bladder can't outlast the fuel stops...

I've heard that the quality of some of the fuel stations along the alcan are questionable. I really don't want to run the risk of putting bad fuel in my rig and being out in the middle of nowhere when things go south. I will be driving up there with my newborn daughter and don't want to be stuck in bfn with here that young.

c.salt

Reaction score
RDS in Fl. makes tanks for vegistrokes (now biofuel tech.) I have a 30 gal tank in my 03. Excellent fit and the fill spout is cool (fits in passenger door).
Also make a 40 gal. Dont know if you can buy direct from RDS.

SkySki Jason

Reaction score
I've seen tanks similar to the RDS tank made for Excursion VO conversions for under $500. It has 30ish gals of usable fuel and puts my range well over 1000mi with both tanks. The tank mounts 'mid-ship' between the frame, the driveshaft, the t-case and rear axle. There are notches in the frame-side to clear the x-members - otherwise its a large shoe-box shape that hangs down to same elevation as the skid plates. Look for custom boat gas tank builder or any alum fab shop and get some prices.

The nice thing about large fuel capacity is not having to stop at a truck stop all the time. We take our potty breaks at rest areas and roadside oddities. (of course we carry up to ANOTHER 100gals of WVO with us on road trips - that whole paying for diesel must be a real drag!!! :poke:)

TARM

Reaction score
Yep they mount bacisally where truck side saddle tanks mount the issue was always the fill spout but that was addressed by putting it in the door frame. It tech fits the vdot specs as its not in the passenger compartment. The 40 hangs lower than the frame IIRC I would go with the 30 version. The ones I saw were alum which makes sense for low volume manf. Now a plastic tank would be great for weight. Make sure you strap thise things up well like the factory ones. That would get you 75 gal @ even a piss poor hwy non tow mpg of 15 you are still looking at 1125 Miles touring range. @ a more normal 17-20 depending on mods that up to 1500 miles which is sick. That would get you from Washinton DC to past San Antonio Texas.

Latest posts

Members online