College Station folks....

BWCbuilt

Reaction score
Alrighty guys, I am in the process of getting the f*ck out of Ohio. The boss and I are looking to move somewhere where she can go to Grad school and I can finish up my degree (I will have under a year left). Currently A&M is at the top of our list.

So I have a few questions:

-Does anybody here attend A&M?
-How expensive is housing around College Station (1 bedroom+dog....garage a big plus)?
-Are there any parts I should avoid in my housing search?
-How hard is it for a fleet mechanic to find work in the area?
-Anything else I should know?

Thanks.

Mikeh1725

Reaction score
Alrighty guys, I am in the process of getting the f*ck out of Ohio. The boss and I are looking to move somewhere where she can go to Grad school and I can finish up my degree (I will have under a year left). Currently A&M is at the top of our list.

-How expensive is housing around College Station (1 bedroom+dog....garage a big plus)?

Thanks.

I graduated may 2011 so I'll take a stab

Housing I would guess anywhere between 400-700 depending on location.

Stay in college station, don't live in Bryan!

Can't comment of working there but I'm sure you could find a mechanic job somewhere.

You will have to pay out of state tuition until you can prove you live in Texas for a year. In state tuition on 15 hours for me was around 4500 a semester. Out of state will probably be x2.5 my guess.

A&M is a great place and the aggie network does wonders for job seekers. I enjoyed my 4 years there and will hopefully send my daughter there when she grows up (1 month old so I have time to finance it lol)

BWCbuilt

Reaction score
Thanks! OSU has not been very good to me funding wise, So I would imagine that A&Ms out of state is cheaper than what OSU is charging me in state. Not to mention any amount of money is worth keeping my family together so tuition rates don't bother me much.

Mikeh1725

Reaction score
Cool deal, if you have any more questions just shout or pm me if you want to talk on the phone. I grew up about 15 miles from College Station so I've been there forever.

Jeremyleggett07

Reaction score
HUGE Aggie fan here! Live in B/CS for 3 years... Didn't get to attend A&M unfortunately but did participate in many traditions and i loved the atmosphere! I also took my wife, who was raised a T-sip fan, for a weekend and converted her.

BWCbuilt

Reaction score
Thanks guys, I am trying to get out in december to check things out, but at the very latest february. We are so ready for a change.

TheSmokinStroke2002

Reaction score
Thanks guys, I am trying to get out in december to check things out, but at the very latest february. We are so ready for a change.

I have been considering the same thing... looking down there at opportunities and maybe even getting a business degree or something of the sort at A&M.

Ford diesel girl

Reaction score

Thanks.

I have lived here for 3 years, working at the university.

1. Housing is anywhere from $400-800 (buying a house is cheap as well) depending on what you want. I was in a nice 2br 1.5ba duplex with a large backyard (had/have 3 dogs), full kitchen, w/d connections, no restriction on automotive work in the driveway (don't judge!) and a large side yard to store things. No real restrictions, close to the gym, Kroger, movies, several places to eat and a little skip over to campus.

2. DO NOT LIVE IN BRYAN. Ask me how I know... LOL

3. There are a few places you might be able to find; Gooseneck Road has a lot of companies like that around there, and may know of more.

4. It's a young town, Northgate is the place to go for bars etc. It is close to Houston and Austin and only a little further to DFW. It's convenient and caters to the students. You can find deals on just about everything around here. Horse friendly town, dog friendly town etc. The outlying cities (Huntsville, Caldwell, etc) offer good housing as well, if you don't mind a little drive.

I have dealt with all kinds of stuff around here lol from typical to not, so hopefully I can help answer any questions!

BWCbuilt

Reaction score
How is the school itself? I am the type of guy that wants to go to class, go to work, and thats about it. I don't really like people coming up to me and bugging me, which is all that seems to happen at OSU. Is it possible to keep a low profile at A&M and still be somewhat social?

Ford diesel girl

Reaction score
How is the school itself? I am the type of guy that wants to go to class, go to work, and thats about it. I don't really like people coming up to me and bugging me, which is all that seems to happen at OSU. Is it possible to keep a low profile at A&M and still be somewhat social?

It's a very friendly school. I look like a grad student but I don't get "bothered". If you involve yourself, you're immersed. You can certainly go there and do your own thing with no trouble, and without getting pushed to be involved. They don't care either way hahaha it's a lot of what I like about working there. People say "howdy" and "hello" all the time.
It's very easy to make friends and not feel like you have to bleed maroon hahaha.

Sent from my iPhone

BWCbuilt

Reaction score
That is the single largest thing that I cannot stand about where I am at. At this point if I hear somebody shout out an "O-H!" I feel the urge to beat that person to a bloody pulp.

Any body else have anything to add? I will definitely be contacting some of you whenever I am down.

Ford diesel girl

Reaction score
That is the single largest thing that I cannot stand about where I am at. At this point if I hear somebody shout out an "O-H!" I feel the urge to beat that person to a bloody pulp.

Any body else have anything to add? I will definitely be contacting some of you whenever I am down.

I'm usually around; 3 dogs and the horse keep me in town more often than not. I'd be more that happy to show y'all around, get people together and help in anyway I can. When I moved here 3.5 years ago, I knew ONE person lol.

If you have a class with Reveille and she barks, class dismissed!

Reveille is the mascot; a Collie. She is handled by the Corps; it's a tradition. One thing to be warned about, A&M has more traditions than any other college I know. It's not a bad thing, but I'd suggest doing some research on your own, so you don't get smothered with it for not knowing.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reveille_(dog)

Jeremyleggett07

Reaction score
I'm usually around; 3 dogs and the horse keep me in town more often than not. I'd be more that happy to show y'all around, get people together and help in anyway I can. When I moved here 3.5 years ago, I knew ONE person lol.

Reveille is the mascot; a Collie. She is handled by the Corps; it's a tradition. One thing to be warned about, A&M has more traditions than any other college I know. It's not a bad thing, but I'd suggest doing some research on your own, so you don't get smothered with it for not knowing.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reveille_(dog)

A&M home games are Awesome! Yell Practice the night before! Damn I miss it!

BWCbuilt

Reaction score
Now I know... I just don't want to be at a place where traditions smother me. We are looking at both coming down over winter break, but if that does not happen I know that I will be in Houston for LST in February.

I am going to say it..... I HATE football. I have gone to 2 OSU games my entire time here at OSU. And one of them was because I had to be there for work.

Latest posts

Members online