Anyone ever break the frame on their fifth wheel rv?

Johnboy3

Reaction score
Coming home last weekend we had a problem with our RV. The frame broke on either side of the hitch box and proceeded to wreck the whole thing inside and out before we realized it was broke. This fifth wheel is a 2012 and not even a year old yet. The panels on the outside are all buckled. The walls on the inside are all screwed up. Even the cabinents are heaved and wrecked. We didn't notice the frame was broke until we stopped since it was dark and we were just driving on the highway without turning for several hours.

Hoping the manufacturer comes through on the warranty. Have any of you guys heard of anything like this before?

Dzchey21

Reaction score
I have heard of it but i have never actually seen it, this was on older rv's with alot of miles and off road (hunting rigs) and eventually a weld failed or the rust got to it... were talking late 70s rigs LOL

I would imagine they have to take care of that, nothing you did, dont most campers have a 10 year frame warranty?

dmd

Reaction score
Was it within the weight limits and have a proper hitch with no extenders or
converters?

I am sure they will want a pin weight the way it was traveling and total trailer
weight.

Johnboy3

Reaction score
Well within. It's a toy hauler and we only carry boxes of t-shirts and some product displays when we travel to events. No where near what someone carrying a couple of quads would have. Normal fifth wheel hitch and everything was level.

Johnboy3

Reaction score
Here is a picture of the frame. The big tip off was when we stopped for dinner the rv was nearly resting on the bed.

Driver_s_side_crack.jpg

BlueOx

Reaction score
Here is a picture of the frame. The big tip off was when we stopped for dinner the rv was nearly resting on the bed.

Driver_s_side_crack.jpg

Yea that should defiantly be covered under warranty. It didn't even break at the weld, the most common place for them to fail. Seems as though the steel they used for the frame had a defect.

Fyrman25

Reaction score
What make is the 5r? Did you ever hear anything back from the dealer/manufacturer?

Johnboy3

Reaction score
It is a Puma Unleashed 351. Of course the frame is made be another company and has it's own warranty, people, and process. They all have been really nice though. The dealership where it is at is going to pull apart the front cap. The frame company is sending someone out to repair it. Then the rv company is going to come get it to repair all the cosmetic damage from the twisting. All in all, they have been pretty good and reasonable so far. But it isn't fixed yet.

I wanted to upgrade to a bigger tri-axle model at the end of the this year. Might push that up an April type goal.

vcassens

Reaction score
I think I would push for a new camper. What is to say it is not going to break somewhere else down the road?

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

Dzchey21

Reaction score
sure sucks to see stuff like that, and the thing isnt that old you think they would just swap you out or something, and if you are looking to upgrade why not just let you do it early and pay the difference or something?

I'm sure the repair will be sound, but im thinking some of the internal and siding panels might not ever be exactly like new

stevemic

Reaction score
my buddy has a 2009 jayco 30ft toy hauler bumper pull,he and his wife are in the bush every weekend from april to October,quading and biking,anyway he buckled the frame at the axles last year,Jayco paid for all the repairs and added strengthening

SledDogg

Reaction score
I see this all the time being a trailer transporter. Frankly the quality of new trailers is HORRIBLE. We take so many trailers back to the manufacture for warranty work. And SO OFTEN it's as soon as the warranty expires.

Latest posts

Members online