Guys that tow long haul: AC or windows?

Which one do you use?

• I use AC, and notice NO decrease in MPG

Votes: 21 80.8%
  • I use windows, and notice no decrease in MPG.

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • I use AC, and notice a loss in MPG

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • I use windows, and notice no MPG loss

Votes: 3 11.5%

• Total voters

always-strokin

Reaction score
Out of curiosity, do you guys that tow cross-country use your AC or windows when hot?

Does the AC actually decrease your mpg when at highway speeds or is the change in mileage negligible?

Powerstroke Cowboy

Reaction score
For what its worth. With the Windows down I get worth MPG then with them up. And With the windows down I get worth MPG then if I left them up and used the AC. Just something I have found to be true to me. You could always test it and see for yourself though.

always-strokin

Reaction score
So you are saying that using the AC on long, heavy hauls gives better mpg than just dropping the windows?

Zmann

Reaction score
I am not going to calculate mileage to see if windows down is a cheaper option

heck in town I have the AC on and the window down LOL

got to be comfortable IMHO

always-strokin

Reaction score
I'm cheap as chit, so I dont use ac unless I"m dressed up nice and dont want sweat dripping off my ass :lmao:

But on the highway, I do cherish my hearing (which the windows down kills).

So I was wondering if using the ac on a long-haul wouldn't even hit the mileage, and allow me to 'ease up' on my cheapness and just turn the ac on :D

Zmann

Reaction score
I have the wind diverters on my truck and then open the rear slider it calms down the wind turbulence and noise a lot

Mythbusters did this comparison and I can't remember the outcome but I am sure it's a google away

always-strokin

Reaction score
I have the wind diverters on my truck and then open the rear slider it calms down the wind turbulence and noise a lot

Mythbusters did this comparison and I can't remember the outcome but I am sure it's a google away

Interesting idea... appreciate that

hahaha nice read!

I think it depends on vehicle though, which is why I"m asking about these trucks. I know with my inline-5 hummer having the ac on during long highway trips it didn't impact my mpg at ALL... but I know other vehicles, especially 4 bangers n stuff, it impacts much more.

bluedge8

Reaction score
they say that vehicles are designed today to be aero with the windows up and therefore most vehicles do better with windows up and a/c on. You also have to be careful that the people you are asking about the mpg actually check it and not just glance at the lie-0-meter, I have found that most folks I talked to aren't very specific when it comes to mpg,

TyCorr

Reaction score
Exactly blueedge!

I watched that episode of mythbusters and they filled up two identical trucks and drove them at a constant speed one windows down the other windows up and ac on. The one with the windows up traveled many more miles indicating that traveling with the windows down was decreasing the aerodynamic.efficiency of the vehicle to the point it negatively impacted fuel economy.

They also did a test on tonneau covers and they offer zero mileage gain. In fact, they increase drag so much that they caused it to drop. Ive known that for years. Its a selling point, nothing more. Open beds develop a rolling air pocket right behind the cab that decreases drag. Same air pocket that pushes loose.cans, straw, grass, etc up to the front of the bed.versus blowing them out.

Zmann

Reaction score
Same air pocket that pushes loose.cans, straw, grass, etc up to the front of the bed.versus blowing them out.
and Why I have a screen over my power slider

before I put my Roll N Lock cover on I would get pelted by debris LOL

myth busters needed to reverse the test and swap vehicles IMHO

Maybe one was running more efficiently?

at Freeway speeds these trucks aren't very Aerodynamic so I don't see an open window
causing a huge decrease

Powerstroke Cowboy

Reaction score
So you are saying that using the AC on long, heavy hauls gives better mpg than just dropping the windows?

Yes Sir. I have tested it both ways. Windows up AC on is better then no AC with windows down.

Roll a couple windows down and hit the highway at 70 and see what it does. For the poor guys in the back seat they will not like it.

My dad would run down the rad with the front windows down and it would create such a bad turbulence in the back seat that it would take my hat OFF my head an take it out the front window.

I would leave the windows up and just run the AC. I did not notice a MPG drop in running the AC. The only way my windows are down is if I am just putting around the farm OR my AC does not work.

If you test it tell us what you find out. I mean you could always just run with no AC with the windows up then do it with the windows up and the AC on and see what the difference is.

i went through the same thing with my tailgate. I ran with it down all the time because i was always told i would get better MPG. So I decided to teat it and found out with it up i got better MPGs... Funny but that is what happened.

TyCorr

Reaction score
and Why I have a screen over my power slider

before I put my Roll N Lock cover on I would get pelted by debris LOL

myth busters needed to reverse the test and swap vehicles IMHO

Maybe one was running more efficiently?

at Freeway speeds these trucks aren't very Aerodynamic so I don't see an open window
causing a huge decrease

So you dont notice huge amounts of air being diverted or.changing course of flow? Mmmhhhhmmmm, all that shti blowing in your window, drag. Lots of it at highway speed.

dmd

Reaction score
If you can not use the AC in the summer you must be someplace cool. I dont turn the AC
off MAX cool for months in the summer. Come to Texas in the summer and see if you
even care if it would use more fuel...

Best way to save fuel in these trucks is to slow down.

taterthedog

Reaction score
Mine is still on heat.
But I use a/c whenever I am warm. Your hearing is not worth saving a few bucks.

STROKIN N STYLE

Reaction score
If your towing your millage isn't going to be that great to begin with. I've tried it both ways with my last two trucks and haven't seen a big enough difference to not be comfortable in the AC.

Latest posts

Members online