Just got handed a hot shot business

OSCS

Reaction score
Welp here it goes.. So i am in supply chain for a frac company down here in Houston. Our hot shot company took a dump. Im leaving the company and starting my own gig to take the loads. It is mostly local runs with occasional shots to west Texas and Louisiana.

Loads: 1k to 20k possible 24.5K in the future

I have a single wheel supercab 99 F-250 with more than enough nuts and a BTS. Suspension is 350 blocks with rancho shocks in the rear. E codes up front with bilstein shocks. Im obviously going to need bags what is the best value on bags? Ive heard Firestone makes a good set. Do i REALLY need a dually or will a quality set of bags due for 6months or so until i buy another truck?

The 35's i have are about dead.. Time for new smaller tires. Taking suggestions as i know squat about good heavy load tires (I know they need to be 10ply but that's about it) I plan to keep my 10" wide rims

Trailer suggestions are open, Im thinking 36' maybe 40' and a good set of 12k axles.

Again fellas im new to heavy ass loads but this business is literally right in front of me and im ready to snag it.

ToMang07

Reaction score
If you're planning to take the heavier loads in the range you listed, I'd think you'll need a dually. You can only put so much weight on a SRW, and tires can only take so much. Plus there's the legal side....whats the sticker on the door jam say your max is?

Congrats tho!

Atsah

Reaction score
I moved equipment up and down the east coast for a few years, I started with an 05 CCSB F-350 and it wasn't enough.. I bought a dually CCLB F-350 and that did the trick.. Dually all the way and F-450 is even better, you will be very limited to what you can hual with the 250..

OSCS

Reaction score
What are you referring to as far as the legal side? I will have my CDL. Is there a limit to what a SRW can tow legally?

OSCS

Reaction score
Sounds like you've got a good plan so far...

Just one question... What's the reason the last company went out of business? Pay?

Well when i said they took a dump what i really meant to say is that i got tired of seeing our company payout 6-7k a month for 3 hrs of work a day.. So i told the supply chain manager that im leaving and starting a hotshot company and now you call me when you needed something moved. He said ok and that was that.. I put my 2 weeks in today

Ad8 PRODIGY

Reaction score
Gcvwr. And also make sure pin weights are fine and not overloading the rear tires. If its gonna be on the books I believe you'll need a dot #.

Pm corb@corbinshipping. He just went through this a while back

OSCS

Reaction score
realistically it will be seeing 16-19k in town for 35-40 min trips every other day. Rarely (one every other week or month) will it see a long haul (3-8hrs)

OSCS

Reaction score
Gcvwr. And also make sure pin weights are fine and not overloading the rear tires. If its gonna be on the books I believe you'll need a dot #.

Pm corb@corbinshipping. He just went through this a while back

Only gives GVWR on the sticker. Thanks for the help ill shoot him a PM

psduser1

Reaction score
I moved equipment up and down the east coast for a few years, I started with an 05 CCSB F-350 and it wasn't enough.. I bought a dually CCLB F-350 and that did the trick.. Dually all the way and F-450 is even better, you will be very limited to what you can hual with the 250..

Power is the last thing you need to worry about. You'll break more stuff with more power.
Go buy a 450 today, if you can. If you can't, buy a back up-cheap- truck, cause you'll need it. 20k is hard on stuff, and the longer you do it, the worse it'll be. The first time on the side of the road, buying a ?tire, spring, airbag, whatever will kill your profits.

OSCS

Reaction score
Power is the last thing you need to worry about. You'll break more stuff with more power.
Go buy a 450 today, if you can. If you can't, buy a back up-cheap- truck, cause you'll need it. 20k is hard on stuff, and the longer you do it, the worse it'll be. The first time on the side of the road, buying a ?tire, spring, airbag, whatever will kill your profits.

I hear ya loud and clear. I was just hoping i could get 4-6 months out of the 250 with 16-20 on short regular trips. I might be able to contract the longer hauls and take a percentage

psduser1

Reaction score
Not so much what the trailer can handle....
The truck is overweighted by th gvcw, which is the effective amount you can handle " safely". Not saying it can't be done, but protecting yourself is what is important, as in, if you need to stop quickly, a tire blows, or any other of the bad sh!t that happens on the road.

They make trailers up to any size you want, lol.

Im somewhat jealous, sounds like a good gig!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.