CP4 High pressure pump disaster prevention kit

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Yea but still your pump will fail eventually. If it's sending metal out, it's done. So even after filters catch what's thrown back into tank via the bypass, you've only got a few hundred miles if that before pump grenades.

I'm trying to sell cp3 conversion kits(for DMAX) and FASS systems to customers with good running trucks. That's $5k spent there is alot better than the $11k they'll spend after the pump fails and contaminates the system

HeavyAssault

Reaction score
Yea. I found the newer S&S video that gave some internal understanding to the "how it works" of the HPFP. I gathered the biggest point was not that the roller bearing of itself causes the problem, but a two fold event that requires the guide to turn 90* to the cam which causes the roller bearing to now be in a "not as designed" orientation. That is when the most severe HPFP failure issue can occur and happen where the bearing is eaten up by the cam.

I want to say the video gives credence to the air that becomes entrapped in fuel as the possible/principle source of creating the environment to cause the guide to rotate 90*.

I'm not trying to say one way or the other how these failures happen. Just giving info that I gathered from the video.

So with the combined factors of air entrapment and poor fuel lubricity these are key elements of the HPFP failures plaguing the industry. Yes, one can cause the issue just as much as the other, but both issues combined cause a huge issue to rise up much faster.

Does that sound about right?

I would never disagree adding filters, additional water removal, supporting pumps, and air removal are quite effective "insurance" to helping our fuel systems.

treatcg

Reaction score
Could always upgrade to the Exergy improves stock CP4 pump or Exergy inlet metering valve depends what you want to spend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bigdogdiesel

Reaction score
I have a 2011 with 160k and a 2014 with 170k. I have been adding Wal-Mart 2 stroke oil in 85% of my fill ups since new. (Actually starting at 40k on the 11). 1/2 gallon on the 32 gallon tank (14) and 1/3 gallon on the 11 with the small tank 23 gallon or so. No fuel system or *** issues as of yet!

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Cool. But that doesn't help with air or starvation if your lift pump was to go out.

ghohouston

Reaction score
From a beloved cp4 today on a Duramelt with 175k. Guy said he got a fuel filter warning, then it just shut down on him. He said he drained some water out of the filter afterwards, and then replaced the filter. Lol.

Attachments

• 20200224_165903.jpg
    20200224_165903.jpg
    898.2 KB · Views: 126
Reaction score
Just drive it... I've seen where some people take exceptional care of a vehicle and it has many issues. Then I've seen a rancher who doesn't change oil for years much less fuel filters and it never stops running.

Yes preventative maintenance will help in most cases but in some instances things just fail, no matter how well they're taken care of. Take your chances and do what you feel is right.

IMO like most have already said put good fuel, drain water and drive it. Or you could always go buy a new one with a warranty.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
From a beloved cp4 today on a Duramelt with 175k. Guy said he got a fuel filter warning, then it just shut down on him. He said he drained some water out of the filter afterwards, and then replaced the filter. Lol.

Oh man I love seeing that. Money in the bank!

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Well what the ****? Give them your number and do it on the side.

HeavyAssault

Reaction score
I have a 2011 with 160k and a 2014 with 170k. I have been adding Wal-Mart 2 stroke oil in 85% of my fill ups since new. (Actually starting at 40k on the 11). 1/2 gallon on the 32 gallon tank (14) and 1/3 gallon on the 11 with the small tank 23 gallon or so. No fuel system or *** issues as of yet!

You are adding WAY to much oil. I did my own "fuel additive" research....2 stoke sucks in a 6.7L...especially when you track MPGs.

There's other ways to add lubricity to the fuel.

ghohouston

Reaction score
Well what the ****? Give them your number and do it on the side.

They make some questionable decisions sometimes lol. It really was a courtesy thing. I thought about it, but don't have the space to do so in an apartment with very limited parking. Once I have a house it'll be a different story.

DDRaptor

Reaction score
So I use Valero mainly, teat my fuel, and Ford has maintained the truck from day one. 2015 F250 108k on the odometer and my CP4 is finished. I did not know about the issues with the CP4 and ford warranty acted like they would cover it according to the service writer. They found rust a and said not.going to happen. I had the trucked towed to the house because I am.all but done with Ford. Called my insurance company and they sent my fuel off twice with different samples and both times no water was found in the fuel. So truck will sit till I take it to PSE in houston for repairs. Truck has never been abused and always serviced so I guess **** happens.

That being said the disaster kit will be installed on the truck as well.
7b0d4b2d89e6321fd9d5c9f89fbaa3ce.jpg
ba5463f1daa0bda1d3650de91b099db6.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Yup. Just quoted out another on Friday. $10,500...

I have a feeling I'm going to own more 6.7 trucks than I have 6.0s due to customer no fixes. In a few years nobody's going to be fixing 2013 trucks

HeavyAssault

Reaction score
So if one were so inclined to just swap out the HPFP before the issues started, how much would you charge for that work??

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Isn't book hour like 6 hours?

If I had one of these piles I'd install a new pump, the bypass kit, and also a fass fuel system. The air that can come from these stock lift pumps is horrific. We clear lined the feed after the lift pump and every time you key on it gets a surge of air. Also with the dozens of failures I've seen, only a few had apparent signs6of contamination. Rest had clean fuel, I mean they may have ran low or gelled, but usually you can't tell. So that leads me to believe it's air. Both from services and the natural air the pump produces on start up.

DDRaptor

Reaction score
That's an interesting thought there. I agree with the FASS as well the stock water separator is junk. I never changed anything in case I needed to use that expensive warranty. After this I see how I will be treated by Ford I am over it.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Ford knows what their doing. They did it with the 6.4 and their doing it with the 6.7.

HeavyAssault

Reaction score
I've been wanting to do some fuel system mods. Just not ready to go at it right now. I have long considered adding on a sump, pusher pump (AirDog, FASS), then swap in a new HPFP.

Currently using a DieselSite filter kit.

Latest posts

Members online