Tires For Snow

Worstenemy453

Reaction score
I know a lot of you guys obviously work the hell out of your trucks.

Looking for opinions on the best tires to run in the snow, most likely picking up a regular cab with a plow to work this winter and want to set it up right.

What do you guys use in the snow when working and how do you like it.

PDT1081

Reaction score
Mastercraft AXT/Cooper AT3. It's the same tire. Last set I had lasted 55,000. Never a problem on snow or ice. Mastercraft Courser CT is also a great tire.

ToMang07

Reaction score
Duratracs. Best damn tire I've ever used when plowing, period. They are stud-able too. And if you have Amazon Prime they are MUCH cheaper to buy online than locally, unless you "know a guy." I paid $250/each for my 315-75-16s.

Ciras

Reaction score
Dedicated snow tire:

Hakkapelitta LT
Blizzak

M+S All Season:

Geolander ATS
AT3/Courser AXT

TyCorr

Reaction score
Mickey Thompson atz for larger sizes. My dad uses cooper at3 on his half ton and they are great for going and stopping in snow. His heavier trucks have cooper zeon on them and he loves them.

My duramaxes with the 18s gad michelin at on them and they were great.

dsberman94

Reaction score
My duratracs were beasts but the prices shot up and they were way out of my range after that price hike. I'm trying at2s for this winter, not seeming too promising so far.

TyCorr

Reaction score
My duratracs were beasts but the prices shot up and they were way out of my range after that price hike. I'm trying at2s for this winter, not seeming too promising so far.

My one work truck has them. Got 55k out of the two sets prior. This set has 20 on it and its raggedy already. They look different too. The sidewall just says "goodyear" . Tread looks the same but ghey are wearing like chit. On a 2015 chevy 2500hd gasser.

Ciras

Reaction score
Do you have experience with any specifically ?

Yes.

The Geolander and Courser do very well in winter. They live up to the internet's consensus that they are a good year-round tire. Of the two, I prefer the Geolander.

Since you live in VA, a M+S rated all season will suit your needs during the occasional snow fall.

My personal preference is to use a dedicated winter tire; the Hakkapeliitta LT. Most will say that this is not necessary, but that is simply because they have not experienced the difference themselves. The difference in handling is astounding.

Mount the snow tires on a set of cheap wheels from the salvage yard to save the time, cost and risk of scratching Al wheels.

Worstenemy453

Reaction score
Yes.

The Geolander and Courser do very well in winter. They live up to the internet's consensus that they are a good year-round tire. Of the two, I prefer the Geolander.

Since you live in VA, a M+S rated all season will suit your needs during the occasional snow fall.

My personal preference is to use a dedicated winter tire; the Hakkapeliitta LT. Most will say that this is not necessary, but that is simply because they have not experienced the difference themselves. The difference in handling is astounding.

Mount the snow tires on a set of cheap wheels from the salvage yard to save the time, cost and risk of scratching Al wheels.

Have you pushed show in them ? And VA is pretty solid snow now a days, not often but every snow last year here was 5+ inches. But yeah this truck should have stock steelies so ill be mounting them there

WIESEL

Reaction score
This will be my 3rd season plowing with the zeons, 305 50 20...
Best tire I've had in the snow.

Sent from my SM-N930V using Tapatalk

taterthedog

Reaction score
I run studded Duratracs in the winter. 325/65r18s. I find them great. I think this is the 4th winter on them, still look great as far as wear. Guy at work had Duratracs but now runs BF Goodrich KO2s, he likes the KO2s better in snow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WHY NOT

Reaction score
Mickey Thompson atz for larger sizes. My dad uses cooper at3 on his half ton and they are great for going and stopping in snow. His heavier trucks have cooper zeon on them and he loves them.

My duramaxes with the 18s gad michelin at on them and they were great.

Unless you mean the new P3 which I haven't had, my ATZ's were kinda crappy in the snow.

I run Toyo R/T's for winter now and so far I'm really happy with them 37/12.50, but have heard a ton of good things about the dura trac's they were just out of my price range for a winter tire.

yogr

Reaction score
I've run both the duratracs and the new ko2s. I personally like the ko2s better but I could see the duratracs performing better off road due to the more open tread design.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

TyCorr

Reaction score
Unless you mean the new P3 which I haven't had, my ATZ's were kinda crappy in the snow.

I run Toyo R/T's for winter now and so far I'm really happy with them 37/12.50, but have heard a ton of good things about the dura trac's they were just out of my price range for a winter tire.

No. Im talking about the original pattern. I love them. They grab great for me. Stopping or going. Of course after half treadlife they get chitty but what ones don't?

These types of questions arent one size fits all so its ok we have different ideas. I also think duratracs have already reached their peak and are getting crappier. Cheaply made.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
op, are you wanting a dedicated winter tire only? then switch in summer or is it only a plow truck?

live life full throttle

god bless america and the farmer who feeds your fat ass

Latest posts

Members online