Go Back   PowerStrokeArmy > Power Strokes > 94-97 Tech

Old 06-06-2018, 07:09 PM
Sergeant
Member's Gallery

Seems like you and I think a lot alike.

I like the simplicity of the dipstick adapter. Swamps has a machined weld in one they put on my engine.

Mine is going to be expedition ready and is driven by my wife by herself a lot too.

Lot of parallels.
Diesel Mechanic 40 yrs
Now 120 truck Fleet, 80 plus CNG powered
Old 06-06-2018, 08:35 PM
Colonel
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeTo View Post
Here is a pic of the Oilite pilot shaft bushing and dipstick tube adapter. The adapter is not pretty, it's just scrape stock I had laying around. But, it works.

If your welds are leaking, you either have a cold weld or porosity? I tested mine with diesel fuel, all is well. I did weld it inside and out.
2002 with a couple of mods, grocerygetter
Old 06-09-2018, 09:25 AM
Sergeant
Member's Gallery

How does one replace the clutch fork (clutch release lever) ball stud? I found one for $33 including shipping.

I don't have the new one in hand yet. The ball stud doesn't appear to be threaded into the bell housing boss (web pics). It appears to be pressed in. I tried heating the boss and prying it out with a crow bar, no good. I don't want to pry harder and break the bell housing. I tried heating the boss and twisting the ball stud, again no good. The ball stud is tempered, so a vice-gripe or pipe wrench jaws doesn't bite very well.

Any advice?

Once again something which should be simple snowballs into a pain-in-the azz.
2 Donaldsons, 3" dp, ACs & Hydra w/PHP & 1023, DIY 60 gl tank w/6 gl sump, eFuel/Cat filters, Aeromotive RR, Auber instruments & IDM mod, KC Drop in SXE, boost fooler, RiffRaff bellowed up pipes, 6.0 IC & 3" plenums w/RiffRaff inserts
Old 06-09-2018, 03:52 PM
Sergeant
Member's Gallery

I need to purchase the gasket/o-ring set this week, minus pistons, rings, bearings and injector o-rings. Injector builder (inspected/checked out fine) provided injector o-rings. Machinist will provide pistons, rings, bearings, valve seals and freeze plugs or no warranty.

So what is my best option? Clay has a Motorcraft set (minus pistons/rings) for ~$625. I found this option (MAHLE Clevite Complete Engine Gasket Kit, Ford (1994-03) 7.3L Power Stroke) for $234. Is anyone familiar with these? Are there any other "set" options?

I'm getting a much clearer understanding as to why the rebuild prices are what they are. There is a LOT of bs involved in rebuilding a 7.3. Since this is my first diesel rebuild, I'm enjoying the learning experience. If there is a next time? I will buy it. We are missing a lot of boondocking time.
2 Donaldsons, 3" dp, ACs & Hydra w/PHP & 1023, DIY 60 gl tank w/6 gl sump, eFuel/Cat filters, Aeromotive RR, Auber instruments & IDM mod, KC Drop in SXE, boost fooler, RiffRaff bellowed up pipes, 6.0 IC & 3" plenums w/RiffRaff inserts
Old 06-13-2018, 01:41 PM
Sergeant
Member's Gallery

I'm trying to decide on a replacement HPOP. Corey wont sell me a stage 2. As for the Adrenaline; I talked to Bob and I'm not paying $675 for a mystery HPOP. So it's Corey's stage 1 or a T500? How do they compare; details? I know Corey's character and customer service is top notch.

Anyone have any info on the MB diesel 20?

Are both 20 degree swash plate pumps?
Are both cross drilled?
Do both have rear bearings?
Do both have new internal parts?
Anything else I should be aware of?

Last edited by MeTo; 06-13-2018 at 02:04 PM.
Old 06-13-2018, 01:47 PM
General
Member's Gallery

I loved my T-500. Truck was sold to my buddy and the pump has over 100k miles and still works 100%

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-13-2018, 02:30 PM
Sergeant
Member's Gallery

Quote:
I'm trying to decide on a replacement HPOP. Corey wont sell me a stage 2. As for the Adrenaline; I talked to Bob and I'm not paying $675 for a mystery HPOP. So it's Corey's stage 1 or a T500? How do they compare; details? I know Corey's character and customer service is top notch.

Are both cross drilled?
You can't go wrong with an Adrenaline. I have over 120k on mine since purchase, towing a 10k 5th wheel for the most part. It hasn't missed a beat. I posted my Adrenaline story on here more than a few years ago, but it might not appear, so here's my experience...

Talked to Bob over the phone after hearing the hype for a higher volume hpop to go with some new injectors. Purchased it and had it shipped to my house. Late one evening, after a few wobbly pops I installed my hpop and immediately stripped the aluminum threads on the pump.
I emailed Bob the next day and admitted to what had happened, he had me ship the pump back to him and he replaced it with a brand new unit. You can't ask for more than that. I'd recommend him to you any day.
Old 06-13-2018, 08:16 PM
Colonel
Member's Gallery

Quote:

Are both cross drilled?
I'd vote adrenalin, also. Not going to support a 200% nozzle to full power, of course, but it is a solid option to replace a stocker,+.
Personally, for reliability, I'd not recommend a 20* pump, just because. No personal experience, but oems tend to see on the side of caution, and there are plenty of 300k+ engines out there to back that up.
2002 with a couple of mods, grocerygetter
Old 06-14-2018, 10:40 PM
Sergeant
Member's Gallery

I told him I would not sell him a STG2 because it's a waste of money for his current smaller injectors. It's simply not needed.

Out of 100's of pumps sold, I've never had a failure yet. Had a few that needed a new rear oring, but that's it, and all come with steel thread inserts.

Bob at Dieselsite builds a good pump, I can't deny that.

MB, he isnt even a real shop, nor even has a shop for that matter. Just a guy selling reboxed pumps out of his living room.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
E99 CCLB 4X4 SRW F350,Billstein5100s,X-code front leafs, 35" Nitto TG's on 22" Incubus', GTP38R w/ WW2 140V Mod'd IDM, Billet intakes, AFE stg II CAI, 4" Diamond Eye T/B SS exh, BTS trans w/P.I. tc, 6.0L cooler, FF 250/200% SS's, ******** Stg I cam, CompCams 910 springs, Smith Bros HD push rods, Insight CTS, Forged bottom end, PHP Hydra, Firestone Airbags, All Amsoil fluids, Stealth 1.1 HPOP, ARP studs, My Modified Fuel System & HPOP lines, AGR steering gear
Old 06-15-2018, 07:21 AM
Sergeant
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by hucorey View Post
I told him I would not sell him a STG2 because it's a waste of money for his current smaller injectors. It's simply not needed.

Out of 100's of pumps sold, I've never had a failure yet. Had a few that needed a new rear oring, but that's it, and all come with steel thread inserts.

Bob at Dieselsite builds a good pump, I can't deny that.

MB, he isnt even a real shop, nor even has a shop for that matter. Just a guy selling reboxed pumps out of his living room.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
This is all true, but Corey did not state I mentioned I planned on experimenting with fatter injectors and nozzles in the future. I have a high regard for Corey's customer care and products. But, I'm not going to purchase a tight stock (17) pump now and maybe need to purchase more oil latter.

I have been committed to a 20 degree and cross drilled pump since January. I purchased three tunes from Dusty last December, but he could never get the idle to stop rolling. For some reason, my truck is the only one to do that? Hopefully the rebuild will magically fix that? I missed his live tuning session in Arizona because we both didn’t know we were only about 100 miles away from each other. He is going to let me know when and where he will be tuning, that’s going to happen. During these conversations, we discussed my future experimentation with fatter injectors and nozzles. A 20 degree pump was the take away. Brand was not brought up.

To pull my light boondocker; the only aspect of my truck that is based on need is the fact that it's a truck.

I contacted Clay yesterday and asked about cross drilling. He contacted Terminator in regards to having it done on my pump. I ordered a T500 from Clay.

Last edited by MeTo; 06-15-2018 at 07:24 AM.