Go Back   PowerStrokeArmy > Power Strokes > 7.3 Aftermarket

Old 01-05-2017, 07:19 PM
General
Member's Gallery

Yeah I got the grey death.

Tapped out hole, stud went in fully, got head on and torqued.

Gasket came in today also. I can get pics if you guys want.
96 F-350 RC 4x4 Hypermax Rods, PIS 300/200s G head tunes, Garrett GT4294, Beans IDM, ARP head & main, girdle, half filled block, DI cam, ceramic coated bowls, anti-friction skirts, Haldex pump over Honey Badger Jr, Diesel site High volume lpop, Billet intake Plenums, Dual SD pumps, Fluidampner, beehive springs, cosmetic head gaskets, Inconel valves, hardend guides, Ported and polished heads by me, home made RR fuel, 5 speed tranny, with SB 3600 DxD. Snow water meth.
Old 01-06-2017, 06:03 PM
Sergeant
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum PD View Post
Yeah I got the grey death.

Tapped out hole, stud went in fully, got head on and torqued.

Gasket came in today also. I can get pics if you guys want.
I would defiantly like to see some detail pics of the gasket. I plan on installing one in the spring. Debating if I should freshen it up too? Compression is around 360.

I hit a deer a couple of weeks ago. It rolled length wise under the truck. It put a shallow dent in the bottom of the oil pan and of course it's dripping now by the corner where the pan transitions from the block to the rear main bearing. I walked back to check it and it was messed up bad. I didn't even want to take the outer back straps after I saw it. I built a deer deflector for my truck, the front is fine.

Here in NE Wisconsin, it's not uncommon to see 20 to 50 deer in a field. NO BS!
2 Donaldsons, 3" dp, ACs & Hydra w/PHP & 1023, DIY 60 gl tank w/6 gl sump, eFuel/Cat filters, Aeromotive RR, Auber instruments & IDM mod, KC Drop in SXE, boost fooler, RiffRaff bellowed up pipes, 6.0 IC & 3" plenums w/RiffRaff inserts

Last edited by MeTo; 01-06-2017 at 06:05 PM.
Old 01-06-2017, 06:48 PM
General
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeTo View Post
I would defiantly like to see some detail pics of the gasket. I plan on installing one in the spring. Debating if I should freshen it up too? Compression is around 360.

I hit a deer a couple of weeks ago. It rolled length wise under the truck. It put a shallow dent in the bottom of the oil pan and of course it's dripping now by the corner where the pan transitions from the block to the rear main bearing. I walked back to check it and it was messed up bad. I didn't even want to take the outer back straps after I saw it. I built a deer deflector for my truck, the front is fine.

Here in NE Wisconsin, it's not uncommon to see 20 to 50 deer in a field. NO BS!

I've hit 2 deer this year. One died, one didn't. My way to solve the deer damaging the bumper issue, paid for by insurance.

And I wouldn't be using a gasket for permanent if it were my motor. Magnum wants to run the engine on a stand IIRC, and then check and do a hot torque. Using the gasket for the initial run then using gray death, same thing I'd do if I were doing what he is. It's not worth having the gasket leak in 50k miles or so and having to pull the motor again.
GTP38R, T500, PIS 175/80s in the engine. waiting to see rods one day

Turned 200k miles 1/18/2015
Old 01-07-2017, 06:30 AM
Sergeant
Member's Gallery

Do what works for you.

For me, I prefer things to not get damaged in the first place. I'm finished with that discussion.

As for grey RTV, I don't believe it's the only or best way to seal an oil pan. If you don't
agree? That is fine. I didn't ask for anyone's blessing or approval. I do know that speed
and low coast are the driving forces on an assembly line, not the best quality.

I'm going to TRY the gasket because of it's resiliency. Once again, I'm not looking for
approval. I'm just sharing a different course of action and some detailed pics of the
gasket would be great.
2 Donaldsons, 3" dp, ACs & Hydra w/PHP & 1023, DIY 60 gl tank w/6 gl sump, eFuel/Cat filters, Aeromotive RR, Auber instruments & IDM mod, KC Drop in SXE, boost fooler, RiffRaff bellowed up pipes, 6.0 IC & 3" plenums w/RiffRaff inserts
Old 01-07-2017, 06:44 AM
Colonel
Member's Gallery

I've been in your shoes, and unless you're trying to reseal this in the truck, I think you will be disappointed. Been there, done that.
2002 with a couple of mods, grocerygetter
Old 01-07-2017, 11:56 AM
General
Member's Gallery

we had a vendor that used to sell the moroso gasket for a 7.3 oil pan and he quit selling it due to its failure rate.. just saying..

international/motorcraft gray death is all I would use..

live life full throttle

god bless america and the farmer who feeds your fat ass
god bless america and the farmer who feeds your fat ass
Old 01-07-2017, 12:22 PM
General
Member's Gallery

I see.

I'll see how it fits and does on engine stand.
96 F-350 RC 4x4 Hypermax Rods, PIS 300/200s G head tunes, Garrett GT4294, Beans IDM, ARP head & main, girdle, half filled block, DI cam, ceramic coated bowls, anti-friction skirts, Haldex pump over Honey Badger Jr, Diesel site High volume lpop, Billet intake Plenums, Dual SD pumps, Fluidampner, beehive springs, cosmetic head gaskets, Inconel valves, hardend guides, Ported and polished heads by me, home made RR fuel, 5 speed tranny, with SB 3600 DxD. Snow water meth.
Old 01-07-2017, 01:36 PM
Sergeant
Member's Gallery

Well, I have until spring or when it warms up here in Wisconsin before I will make a finale
decision. Mag Pd, I would appreciate any feedback you could provide on the gasket.

I will stop derailing now.
Old 01-07-2017, 05:05 PM
General
Member's Gallery

There are brass spacers around the boat holes to keep from crushing the gasket but don't how it will seal everything else up.
Old 01-07-2017, 07:54 PM
Sergeant
Member's Gallery

When I used the moroso gasket it was sliding off the sealing surface on the front of the pan.
I ended up having to using Ford grey rtv. I waited for it to get tacky and then torqued it down to spec. It didn't leak but I essentially had to glue the gasket to the block and the pan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk