School me on X's

sagebel

Reaction score
I've been driving a 6.7 since they came out in May 2010 and before that a 7.3 pickup. I am looking at buying a 6.0 Excursion. We have both grown to like the things that newer trucks get you like sync, backup camera, and heated/cooled seats.

Obviously the 6.0 would need studs and ******s and I think I am up to speed on the suspension upgrades like truck springs, helwig sway bars, air bags, and bilstiens. Are there options out there to add the creature comforts like a stereo that will pair up to our phones and add a backup camera?

We are planning to get a new toyhauler TT. We currently have a 32' TT. The new trailer GVWR is 12K. Will I be asking too much of the X?

Some of the adds I see list the trans as a 4 speed with OD. Do all 6.0s come with the torque shift 5 speed?

Are there any other mods that I am missing here? The goal is probably the same as most, a tow rig that can also get the family down the interstate and logging roads.

Brian22

Reaction score
There are tons of aftermarket radio setups that will get you bluetooth and nav and will even work with backup cams with the proper wiring and adapters. As for the towing, I don't see why the ex cant handle a 12k load. Might be worthwhile to look into a WD hitch to help with ride quality.

Brian22

Reaction score
Tried to edit my above post, but it wouldn't let me.

The excursions have a 20k gcvwr. A 12k trailer would put you overweight.
Would the ex handle it? Sure. Would it be legal? No.

Jomax

Reaction score
Tried to edit my above post, but it wouldn't let me.

The excursions have a 20k gcvwr. A 12k trailer would put you overweight.
Would the ex handle it? Sure. Would it be legal? No.

The excursion was rated to tow 12k. Nowhere on the truck does it state 20k gcvwr.

In the end, as Long as your not overweight on your axles, you're good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cbf9703

Reaction score
I have an 03 7.3 Ex. I tow a 25' toyhauler at 10k with no issues. I have SD lift springs and traction bars.... Any good suspension set up makes it nicer.

Pumpkins are pretty popular for a radio/head unit, but there are plenty of other options- you can also run a backup camera through them.

Mine came with backup alarm, heated seats, etc. I know some folks that have added a backup camera through a CTS that works well and have thought of doing this for mine since I happen to have one.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

sagebel

Reaction score
Thanks everyone. Ford released some info on the new Expedition yesterday and I like it so the debate continues. I'm just not sure I want to give up the pickup.

cbf9703

Reaction score
Thanks everyone. Ford released some info on the new Expedition yesterday and I like it so the debate continues. I'm just not sure I want to give up the pickup.
I've had that thought. I have an ECLB and the Ex. I don't want to give up either, but I'm really thinking about getting a TDI for my commute these days.

You can't beat loading the bed of a truck, but the excursion really has surprised me with functionality. It'll fit a queen size bed, sheets of plywood or drywall, enough coolers to cover picking up freezer beef from a couple cows at the processor.... And keep it dry when it's raining. 😂 I'll probably end up keeping it and hauling the trailer more because it really is more comfortable for the kiddos than squeezing them in the truck.

If you do go with one, husky or weathertech make life soo much better. I know a lot of folks have them up front, but all rows and the back are a must.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

sagebel

Reaction score
I wonder if the new Expeditions will be getting a diesel option like the F150s.

Everything I saw yesterday was the 3.5 EB mated to the new 10 speed. No new numbers for the EB but guesses are in the 375-400hp range.

My main concern with losing the pickup bed is hunting season when I haul an atv around. I can pull a trailer most other times.

thatdude

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
I think the pumpkin head units are more or less garbage. The kenwood excelon DNX on the otherhand.... Awesome head unit.

Latest posts

Members online